Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate | start.exe does nothing

Having trouble getting Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate to install

- Running on Windows 10 x64bit

- Set [Region and Language] to local Japan, added Japanese language, then Restarted computer

- Extracted the 17 .rar files using 7-Zip

- Tried running start.exe as Administrator and nothing happened

- Tried running start.exe in compatibility mode as Admin and nothing happened

- Tried renaming start.exe to Koichoco.exe [as suggested] and repeated above two steps, nothing happened

Not sure what to do at this point, any help appreciated

Okay, I understand your pain because I have been in your position before. I could not get this game to work with Windows 7, but it worked fine with Windows 10. You said you downloaded 17 .rar files. Did you download the patch??? That would explain why it's not working.

First, thanks for trying to help Xishalet!

Do you mean the English patch? In all the other games I've seen you have to install the base game before installing the English patch or the game does not work. In fact in one other game I made the mistake of installing an English patch to quickly and had to uninstall both game and English patch and hunt down all the files relating to both that the uninstall did not get and try the whole process again to try to get it to work. So you can understand if I want to be sure if it is the English patch you are talking about or another patch that someone has linked in a comment or forum.

Thanks again for any/all help!

When you have a game like this, it is important to KEEP ALL THE .RAR FILES BEFORE DELETING. It is important, in case installation doesn't work, you can extract and try again. That way, you don't have to spend time redownloading a bunch of parts. First off, go on erogedownload.com and download the 17 .rar files for the game AND the english patch. Extract the 17 rar files by themselves and then extract the english patch that is on the website.

There are times when the game will work without the patch, but there are a lot of games that won't work without out. Rule of thumb, always install the patch after you installed the game. How can a patch be applied on something that isn't on your machine to begin with? A patch is meant to replace files in the original game in order for the game to be in English. If you install a patch, but continue downloading the game, the game won't work.

Also, I need to ask how many games have you attempted to download before? I have well over 200+ visual novels and I have gotten every single one to work on my Windows 7 laptop. I have gotten this game to work on both my Windows 7 and Windows 10 laptops. It used to be one of those games that I couldn't get to work, but like I said, I have gotten all of them to work on my laptop, so if you follow my instructions, the game should work. I shall put a step by step guide for you to follow.

1. Change locale to Japanese (if you haven't done so already)

2. Go to erogedownload.com and go to Koi to Senkyo

3. Download the 17 .rar files

4. Download the english patch

5. Extract the .rar files

6. Install the game on your machine

7. Apply the patch to the game

8. Run start.exe on admin mode

That should get the game to work. If it still doesn't, then let me know.

I'm fairly new at erogegames, I have downloaded around a dozen or so games and have gotten a handful to work. Just going through them and getting what I can work to work then trying a new one or two until I get them to work and trying to learn as I go along.

The reason I asked about the English patch was because you asked if I had downloaded "the patch", and seemed to indicate that the lack of patch was the problem. In other forums/comment sections I had seen a few people post what they called "patches" to the erogegames rar's that helped where the erogegames download had problems so I was just trying to better identify what you were talking about.

As I stated in my opening post I am running on Windows 10 x64bit and have completed the following of your steps

1. [Done] ---> Set [Region and Language] to local Japan, added Japanese language, then Restarted computer

2. [Done] ---> Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate | Eroge Download

3. [Done] ---> Downloaded (and kept) all 17 .rar files

4. [Done] ---> Downloaded (and kept) the English patch

5. [Done] ---> Extracted the rar files using 7-Zip

6. [ ] ---> Install game ... having problems

I just realized I have been trying to run start.exe to install the game, but you have that as step 8 so perhaps this is not the way to install the game. Below is a pic of what I have when I just re-extracted the .rar files what do I do to get the game to install from these files? Thanks for all your help

Koi to Senkyo.pngKoi to Senkyo.png

Whoops. I added an extra step. Some of these games require you to install it first on your machine and then add the patch. Since it's been a while, I forgot the game already comes "pre-installed", so delete step 6 and continue on to step 7. Sorry about that!

No worries, seems like almost every game has it's own little variation on how to get it to work, that's why I figured a Print Screen might be helpful. I'm just happy your trying to help! Unfortunately it's still giving me hassles, so here is where I am now, notes only where I did something different

Windows 10 x64bit

1. [Done] --->

2. [Done] --->

3. [Done] ---> This time I copied the rar files where I wanted the game to end up

4. [Done] ---> Also copied the English patch in this general folder, to be moved in step 7.

5. [Done] ---> This time I used Extract here (was hoping that might help something)

6. [ n/a ] ---> Removed step per instructions

7. [Done] ---> Placed the English patch in the Extracted folder and ran that "Koichoco English Patch 1.0.exe", it seemed to run it's course replacing, patching, and creating a new Backup folder just fine

8. [ =( ] ---> Even after running the English patch when I try to run start.exe in (or out) of Admin mode nothing happens, the computer just sits there. I even opened up task manager to see if it was hung up but nothing was there either. Out of curiosity I tried the Japanese text .exe and that brought up a window with a bunch of "????" if I hit [ok] it took me to a website, if I hit [cancel] it would just close the pop up.

The game folder looks nearly the same as before the English patch simply with a new folder called "Backup", an uninst.exe for the English patch and different file dates/file sizes.

Have you ever run into a point like this where a fresh download of the rars made the difference? That is not a task I want to take lightly, but if your not seeing any other likely solution and think that it might have a chance to work on the off chance that one of the rars got corrupted in download process I would be willing to try. Files 1-16 all appear to be the same size so I didn't think of that as a likely candidate at first, and file 17 being a different size makes sense. -Thanks once again

This was the problem I originally had when I first installed this game and it took me months to figure it out. I am getting on my second laptop. There is a program I got when I downloaded a previous visual novel. The .exe file was taken from a game that needed the CD-rom in order to run the game. Since most of us didn't own the game, it made a version of the .exe file that could run the game without the CD. I used that program on the start.exe and made it so it could work.

Note: The application is in Japanese, but all you have to do is open it, drag the start.exe into the box, and then it will make a new version of the .exe in order to get it to work.

The application is called AlphaROMdie. I will post a link. Here you go!

I am also trying to find a way to put working version of the game someplace in case this doesn't work for you. I will add that at a separate time.

Soooo close. Now when I run the .exe nothing happens, but when I run the shortcut created from AlphaROMdie I get brought to the Adobe Shockwave website.

Steps 1-7 ---> Started off getting the game to the same place we had before when start.exe did nothing

AlphaROMdie ---> Dragged start.exe as instructed, two windows popped up in all Japanese text so I tried different combinations of Yes/No. From what I can gather they were basically asking do you want to change this file, and the second adking if you wanted to run the file. Yes/Yes opened a new tab on my browser to Adobe Shockwave

Step 8 ---> start.exe still does nothing but I noticed a new shortcut in the folder that I imagine AlphaROMdie created, when I click that it again simply opens a tab on my browser to Adobe Shockwave

Steps 1-6 ---> I thought I'd try to apply AlphaROMdie before the English patch to see if that made a difference

AlphaROMdie ---> Applied the program before the English patch

Step 7 ---> Then ran "Koichoco English Patch 1.0.exe"

Step 8 ---> Both Yes/Yes on AlphaROMdie and the shortcut still open a tab to Adobe Shockwave.

-Thanks for the help!

I may be wong but... did you tried running 恋と選挙とチョコレート.exe?

I mean, you first extract, then you run the english patch and select the folder you just extracted (the one where the .exe's are), and then just run 恋と選挙とチョコレート.exe

I'm pretty sure it should wok like this.

Mine runs by using the start.exe. When I tried using the japanese .exe file, mine wouldn't run. Then again, I have had to wrestle with this dang game so many times to make it work. I think I figured out the problem.

https://basicvntls.wordpress.com/2015/11/30/koi-to-senkyo-to-chocolate-english-patch-1-0/

This is the website that made the patch. I think the patch that is included on erogedownload didn't work for me. If you get the one on the website, then the game should work without having to use AlphaROMdie. Sorry for all of this running around, but I got this game to work last year, so the things I had to do to get it to work are a bit fuzzy.

Xishalet; Tried the English path from the website you linked, its definitely newer than the one from Erogedownload but it's still not starting the game. Although that website said that they were having Windows 10 problems

[] Re-extracted the game, installed the basicvntls English patch. start.exe did nothing

[] Used AlphaROMdie on start.exe to see if that would help, it again popped up a window with "????", when I hit ok it went to AdobeShockwave website

[] Out of curiosity I tried to see if downloading/installing AdobeShockwave would help

[] Restarted computer and tried start.exe and the shortcut from AlphaROMdie, both do the same thing as before installing AdobeShockwave

At this point I am going remove all rar and patch files to do with this game from this computer and re download the rar files and start fresh, I hope that this might help. I'll keep you (and anyone else viewing this) updated, and thanks for all the help!

No problem. I went on another downloading spree (about 65 games), and I ran into this problem with another visual novel. I extracted the .rar files for the game and .rar for the patch. (I didn't have to search for a different patch for this game, thankfully.) When I opened the .exe, the game told me to open in admin. When I opened in admin, nothing happened. I dragged the .exe to AlphaROMdie, clicked okay, and then clicked the .exe and the game worked.

Btw, when you use AlphaROMdie, none of the boxes should be checked and the only thing you should do is drag the .exe to the box and click ok when the Japanese pops up. It shouldn't open Adobe at all and the box should disappear on it's own.

SUCCESS!!!

Thanks for the info on AlphaROMdie I think those boxes were checked automatically so I had left them. The problem I was having turned out to be something totally different, that I thought I had fixed, that made this and a few other games suddenly start working.

Windows 10 64bit has a few places to "Set to local Japan" I had already done 1 and 2 but 3 had me stumped for a while and when I made that change a number of games started working for me

[1]

* Hit [start] and start typing "Region & Language Settings", select that when it pops up and make sure your under [Region & Language] on the side bar

* Under [Country or region] there is a drop down, select [Japan]

* Restart computer

[2]

* Hit [start] and start typing "Region & Language Settings", select that when it pops up and make sure your under [Region & Language] on the side bar

* Under Languages click the grey [+] button next to "Add a language", scroll until you see "Japanese" and install

* Restart computer

[3]

* Hit [start] and start typing "Run" to open the Run command prompt and paste "Control international" without the quotes and press Enter

* Go to [Administrative] Tab and click on [Change system locale...], from the dropdown select [Japanese (Japan)], hit [OK]

* Restart computer

SUCCESS!!!

Thanks for the info on AlphaROMdie I think those boxes were checked automatically so I had left them. The problem I was having turned out to be something totally different, that I thought I had fixed, that made this and a few other games suddenly start working.

Windows 10 64bit has a few places to "Set to local Japan" I had already done 1 and 2 but 3 had me stumped for a while and when I made that change a number of games started working for me

[1]

* Under [Country or region] there is a drop down, select [Japan]

* Restart computer

[2]

* Under Languages click the grey [+] button next to "Add a language", scroll until you see "Japanese" and install

* Restart computer

[3]

* Hit [start] and start typing "Run" to open the Run command prompt and paste "Control international" without the quotes and press Enter

* Go to [Administrative] Tab and click on [Change system locale...], from the dropdown select [Japanese (Japan)], hit [OK]

* Restart computer

What a clusterfuck... And people ask me why i still use Windows 7...

(saving post for future use - will have to add it to FAQ).

What a clusterfuck... And people ask me why i still use Windows 7...

(saving post for future use - will have to add it to FAQ).

I actually like Windows 7 and 10. 10 is what 8 failed to be. I refuse to use 10 for the longest time, but now I'm used to it. Windows 8 is to Windows 10 what Windows Vista was to 7. Vista and 8 were imperfections, which 10 and 7 are perfect, but that's my opinion. If games works on both, I have no complaints.

I actually like Windows 7 and 10. 10 is what 8 failed to be. I refuse to use 10 for the longest time, but now I'm used to it. Windows 8 is to Windows 10 what Windows Vista was to 7. Vista and 8 were imperfections, which 10 and 7 are perfect, but that's my opinion. If games works on both, I have no complaints.

It's kind of a pattern with Microsoft...

I remember the same situation with switch from Win98SE to XP - it introduced a bunch of compatibility issues, as well as being general resource hog. Only a few years (and service packs) later, XP ended up pretty decent platform. Situation repeated itself again with (failed) ME and Vista launches. 7 was relatively decent from start, but (again) there were some compatibility issues with software written in XP era. 8 sucked balls the same way Vista did. 10 has many issues for now (both compatibility-wise, as well as some terrible design choices - shady privacy practices and stuff like advertisements even in solitaire), but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with system itself - few years from now, it'll turn out to be pretty decent platform.

What sucks for me, in relation to running this website, is that I'm testing all my releases on Win7, as it's the most popular system among site visitors, but 10 is quickly gaining market share, so I'll have to start doing those eventually as well, effectively doubling workload involved with every release...

Yeah, that sounds like it's going to be a lot of work. I think you should definitely continue to make sure that it works on 7. I haven't run into any problems running visual novels on 10. Actually, the game that this thread was talking about, I couldn't get it to run on 7. I downloaded it on my Windows 10 computer, got it to work, and then copied them over to 7. When I tried to play it, it didn't work again. I used AlphaROMdie and some other things, and finally got it to work, so sometime, Windows 10 works better than 7 in some regards.

You can possibly hope to have someone else who has Windows 10 help ease the burden there. That way you don't have to double up. Usually if it works on 7, there isn't much trouble on 10. Since 10 is a lot more stable now, there isn't much problems.