Visual Novels Translation Status [12/18/2017]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank goodness for that:)

Since I'm fan of mangagamer.

LOL, why does that matter? :D Whether you like any of them or not, you'll just pirate all of their VNs, just like you did so far. SP, MG, JAST, Front Wing, tomorrow Sol Press, doesn't matter on this site, you'll pirate all of their VNs. They could care less whether you are a fan of any of them, LOL! :D

LOL, why does that matter? :D Whether you like any of them or not, you'll just pirate all of their VNs, just like you did so far. SP, MG, JAST, Front Wing, tomorrow Sol Press, doesn't matter on this site, you'll pirate all of their VNs. They could care less whether you are a fan of any of them, LOL! :D

that being said , then, what was the point of all that discussion? lol xD

Ah, we often have these kinds of discussions here on EG. Many of us don't really support the industry but we like to compare the localizers anyway :) ... Consider us self-entitled :D

Well an interesting read here, anyway great to hear on tsurezurescans progress. They've been moving at a fast pace, that we might see this done in less than a month.

I'm not sure though that they'll gonna finish Renna's route and release the patch in less than a month, especially from what I saw in regard of their progress. The most realistic goal would be at March end for Renna's patch release, again seeing from their progress.

As for the discussion, well at least because we could vent of how slow the localizers were lol, especially Sekai and JAST. Or in the past is something like Sekai take the license from fan translation, and so does JAST and Mangagamer - the latter getting better though. Well that's all that I could think of here.

Edited by littleshogun

you must be new here :D

shitting on sekai is this forum favorite pastime, if doesn't happen at least once per day something is clearly wrong...

Thank goodness for that:)

Since I'm fan of mangagamer.

I have never seen any decent official localizations but Mangagamer is certainly the better one of the bunch. Any translation that doesn't include honorifics like -san, -chan, -kun, -sama, -senpai is lacking. There's nothing more annoying than hearing the voice actor say Aniki/onii-san only to read Jotaro or hear Senpai/Sensei only to hear Dio/Mr. Brando. It's annoying and confuses the shit out of me for a second or two. Then again they're localizations so there's that. But some fan translations can be far worse so I shouldn't complain much.

Edited by Kuroyaksha
I have never seen any decent official localizations but Mangagamer is certainly the better one of the bunch. Any translation that doesn't include honorifics like -san, -chan, -kun, -sama, -senpai is lacking. There's nothing more annoying than hearing the voice actor say Aniki/onii-san only to read Jotaro or hear Senpai/Sensei only to hear Dio/Mr. Brando. It's annoying and confuses the shit out of me for a second or two. Then again they're localizations so there's that. But some fan translations can be far worse so I shouldn't complain much.

Honorifics don't exist in the English language, so dropping them in translations is a sound decision. It is really awkward to see honorifics in english translated texts, and can be confusing to people who have no idea how they work at all. The most common ones like san/senpai/chan might not cause confusion to your average anime watcher but what about unusual ones? like dono, ue, tan, bo, shi etc. would you still want them in your translation? You have to localize some things to make it less awkward in the target language, the only way you will get the 'original experience' is by learning Japanese and reading the game untranslated.

Honorifics don't exist in the English language, so dropping them in translations is a sound decision. It is really awkward to see honorifics in english translated texts, and can be confusing to people who have no idea how they work at all. The most common ones like san/senpai/chan might not cause confusion to your average anime watcher but what about unusual ones? like dono, ue, tan, bo, shi etc. would you still want them in your translation? You have to localize some things to make it less awkward in the target language, the only way you will get the 'original experience' is by learning Japanese and reading the game untranslated.

They are fine, in this day and age its rather easy to use the internet and look it up. The whole point many people read VN is because the cultural difference makes it look more interesting then what we usually get in the west. Westernizing VNs is a meh thing, then you may as well just switch to reading English original ones.

I disagree that it is a sound decision. A proper simple and short explanation beforehand about how those honorifics work would be good enough for the people who know nothing about them, and it would sound better to some of us who do know how they work. A lot can be lost in the translation by not showing those honorifics since those sort of honorifics don't exist in English.

With -san, -sama and -dono you can still use words like Mister, Lord and Sir respectively depending on the context but what about -chan and -kun? There's nothing remotely similar in English. At the very least if you can't translate it then keep it. And sensei is pretty well known so there is absolutely no reason not to use it.

Also learning Japanese just to play VNs is not very reasonable, especially considering that Kanji is one of, if not the most, difficult writing system in the world and requires a big investment of time and effort to learn.

Edited by Kuroyaksha