Visual Novels Translation Status [21/05/2018]

JP market squeeze (eroge sales are dropping every year) will eventually force them to negotiating table, if they want to keep lights on. Key wanted six-digits for rights to "Clannad" initially too.

Hopefully, that will happen sooner rather than later :) ... Their shit is overdue for some official release :D

Jast&co were complaining 24/7 about evil pirates ruining them, when their shovelware/censored/already fantranslated games didn't sell as well as they wanted, so they reap what they sow now. Actual ratio of units sold:units pirated in western developed countries (If you count someone from Vietnam, Brazil or Philippines, who earns 300$/month, that's downloading your 60$ game as "lost sale", you're fucking retarded) is similar, if not lower than in Japan.

I didn't say I agree with Eushully's assessment. In fact, you'd see that many of these fanTLs and pirated releases only helped boost the popularity for VNs. That's why we had even some successfull KSs like Sharin no Kuni, Muv Luv and some others.

Well... they aren't wrong. Open up any torrent with western release, and you will see thousands of Japanese IP in peer list.

Yes, I see often JP pirates in the peer list :)

As for JAST, usually they did the panel at AX. So if we want to know whether their announcement will be either good or bad, we need to wait until AX later. Oh and their recent announcement here is leaning toward bad to me, because some of those announcements are redundant.