Since 1995, the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) has been one of the largest events for general gaming news every year. New consoles and major games are typically announced at E3, pretty much anything related to gaming covers it.

It is also usually hilariously awkward. Memes ranging from RIDGE RAAAAAAAAACER! to the Giant Enemy Crab to "my body is ready" can trace their origin to E3.

E3 2012 proper will run from Tuesday the 5th to Thursday the 7th, but there will be press conferences from Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft beforehand. The current schedule for those (California time, adjust your own damn selves):

Microsoft: Monday the 4th, 9:30 AM

Sony: Monday the 4th, 6 PM

Ninendo: Tuesday the 5th, 9 AM

Nintendo also held an early conference last night, covering some info on the Wii U and its controllers (stating they wanted to focus on games during E3 proper). It can be seen

, and it involves a gloriously weird/memetastic sequence including non-specific action figures, grandfathers, and zombies.

This is the first E3 I'll be able to actually watch, and I'll be providing coverage of major points of every event. Nintendo's already set the weirdness bar pretty damn high, it's going to be a fun ride.

Microsoft conference has started.

-Length Halo 4 trailer

-Splinter Cell Blacklist trailer. Shipping spring '13, apparently.

-FIFA '13 with Kinect trailer. The game yells at you for swearing. Yup. This fall.

-New Madden with Kinect. Live demo. No word on whether it yells at you for swearing.

-Fable: The Journey trailer. With a dorky model.

-New Gears of War

-Forza: Horizon. Racing game. October 23rd '12 release date.

-Advancements in XBOXLive interface. Can sort stuff by genre, etc. via voice command.

-Bunch of XBOXTV and XBOXMusic stuff. It really looks like Microsoft is aiming to become a general media center rather than a gaming thing.

-Wii fitness Kinect fitness presentation. With a talk from a Nike rep. Uh... that was a thing.

-XBOX Smartglass. Lets your Ipad and such interact with the XBOX. It basically turns all your I-stuff into the Wii U controller. It's honestly pretty brilliant. Launching sometime in the Fall.

-...So they follow it up with "I'm excited to announce internet explorer is coming to XBOX this year."

-New Tomb Raider trailer. Now with quick time events! Lara has big tits and sets people on fire. Also shitty water effects! And PS2-level hair effects. Wow, that trailer was awful.

-Trailer for a game called Ascend: New Gods. Looks like a silly Shadow of the Colossus knockoff.

-Trailer for something called LocoCycle. No clue on it.

-Another trailer for a game called Matter. Code Lyoko with floating orbs?

-Resident Evil 6 trailer. Pretty long. Zombies are 99% air. More quick time events! Least enthusiastic devs!

-Wrecketeer. XBOX live game this summer. 3D version of those castle-leveling flash games.

-South Park: The Stick of Truth. Yeah. Holy shit. And a talk from the South Park makers.

-Dance Central 3. With an absolutely gloriously awkward performance by one of the people with songs in the game. It was incredible. Usher, I think?

-Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. 360-only DLC. You can fly a plane.

CoD was the show closer.

edit: I'll probably be more enthusiastic about the Sony and Nintendo conferences, I'm not really a Microsoft fan. Will update post with a video of the entire show once I find one. Pretty much inevitable that one will pop up.

edit2: Fable: The Journey, not Fable: The Lost Chapters. Derp.

Also, the Microsoft conference, if you missed it and want to watch for some mystifying reason, can be found

. Edited by Alien
Wait what? You're probably talking about another game of the fable series right? I mean the lost chapters is already out, hell, I actually OWN the game.

herp derp

Yeah, I got mixed up. It was a Fable: The Journey trailer. No clue how I got that mixed up.

And yeah, Microsoft's conference was deeply underwhelming. It was mostly info on the more general media center Microsoft seems to be aiming for. Sony is... probably going to be mostly a bunch of Vita shovelware. Only thing I'm interested from them is The Last Guardian, and I think that's been confirmed for not-this-year. Nintendo... god knows. Pikmin 3 is almost certainly. A 3DS Zelda is probable. No clue other than that.

Also, EA held a conference. Bunch of new nearly identical shooters! New Call of Duty monitors news sites for real-life conflicts and lets you play them! A feat that is simultaneously technologically stunning and absolutely repugnant. How did anybody think that was a good idea?

Halo, Gears of War, Fable and Resident Evil are gonna be pretty sweet, I've yet to look on the websites or watch any videos due to not being able to access a PC today and am posting this from my Blackberry, would normally be excited about some other stuff but as Cael said Microsoft are a fail, I'm surprised they're allowing the use of iPads on Microsoft products, Many lulz but shall read into it more when next near a PC.

Sony conference. Here we go.

-New IP from the Heavy Rain devs. It's called Beyond. Starring Ellen Paige.

-Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. aka Sony Smash Bros. Vita & PS3. They had a live demonstration of it, it looked pretty cool. Nathan Drake and Big Daddy confirmed as playable characters, along with Kratos, Fat Princess, and Sly Cooper.

-PS1 Classics coming to Vita. Sometime this summer.

-Bunch of not-games stuff coming to PS3/Vita. Basically see Microsoft's media center stuff, it's pretty much the same thing. Don't care. Cough up the games dudes.

-Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation for Vita. October 30th. Female assassin! Five inch screen!

-Assassin's Creed 3 for PS3. Sea battles! Looks really good!

-Far Cry 3 for PS3. With co-op. Up to 4 players. Live demo. Also a FPS with green in it? Madness!

-Some news on Playstation Move.

-PS3 Wonderbook. Interactive books with Playstation Eye and Move support that do... something? It's not really clear. They did a live demo and I'm still not sure what the hell.

-"We have indie dev support! LOVE US!"

-PlayStation Suite is now PlayStation Mobile.

-New God of War. Involves goatmen. Not even Satyrs, bipedal goats with armor and swords and such. Subtitle is Ascension? March 12 2013 release date.

-Live demo of The Last of Us. Post-apocalyptic game from Naughty Dog (Uncharted, Jak & Daxter, Crash Bandicoot). Looks really, really good. Has some brilliant AI, too. At one point in the demo, the player runs out of ammo during a firefight, and the surviving enemy says he knows the sound of an empty gun and advances. An AI-controlled ally chucks something at the guy, distracting him long enough for the player to jump him.

The Last of Us was the closer. And what a closer it was. Oddly short conference.

Will put up a recording of the conference tomorrow morning.

Edit:

Also, the Last of Us trailer because it's fantastic.

Edited by Alien

Nintendo conference. Will they steal the show from The Last of Us? (no)

-Pikmin 3 announced. Rock Pikmin! Multiple commanders!

-Wii U will have a stylus. Analog sticks are innovative!

-New Super Mario Bros U demo/trailer.

-Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition for WiiU. Supposed to be a complete redesign to take advantage of the WiiU's capabilities.

-Scribblenauts Unlimited for WiiU

-Darksiders 2

-Mass Effect 3 holy shit

-Tank! Tank! Tank!

-Tekken Tournament Tag 2, I think? I didn't quite catch it.

-Trine 2

-Ninja Gaiden 3

-Aliens: Colonial Marines

-Reggie acknowledges his body is ready.

-Wii FitU with an incredibly awkward demonstration.

-SiNG. Shitty singing game for WiiU. Don't care.

-New Super Mario Bros 2 for 3DS.

-Paper Mario Sticker Star for 3DS. Lets you pull stickers off the scenery and use them in battle or on the field for various effects (i. e. a fan sticker to blow stuff away). Sometime this holiday season.

-Luigi's Mansion 2 for 3DS. Sometime in the holiday season.

-Brief glimpse of a bunch of 3DS games:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

Epic Mickey

Scribblenauts Unlimited again

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance

-Lego City gameplay demo. For WiiU. Announcement of a 3DS version in the works, too.

-Just Dance 4 for WiiU. With a reeeally awkward demo.

-ZombiU. Zombie apocalypse game from Ubisoft for the 3DS.

-Brief glimpse of a bunch of Ubisoft games, think they're all for WiiU:

Assassin's Creed 3

Rabbits Land

Yourshape: Fitness Evolved

Rayman Legends

Sports Connection

Avengers: Battle for Earth

-Nintendo Land. Basically the WiiU version of Wii Sports, but with existing IPs. Launch title, sometime this holiday season.

Nintendo Land was the closer. And what a shitty closer it was.

Sony's the clear winner of E3 this year. It was kinda disappointing all around, though.

Watch Dogs made a really good initial showing, but it's probably going to be deeply subpar. It'll most likely be largely linear and pretty much just a "press A to mess with electronics" kind of deal.

Also, the Nintendo conference for those who missed it live: here

Nintendo is currently running a closed-room developer's roundtable. Expected to be 90 minutes. After that I think all that's left is the show floor, which I won't be covering at all.