Steins Gate VN: Cannot go past first scene Black Screen with sound Unresponsive

Hi there, Firstly thanks very much for posting this up, and all the work involved in translating this. I LOVE Steins Gate it's one of my all time favorites. The problem I'm having is as follows:

I start the game, select new game, watch opening video, read through the first scene with Okabe and Mayuri, right up to the point where Okabe leaves the lecture room saying he's running up to the roof while ignoring the no entry signs (this is after the loud bang on the roof). The message displays with a black background, and then after clicking once, the screen goes completely black, with the background music still playing, and that's it. Nothing after that, the game just keeps running with the music and black screen until I shut it down with control alt del, as the conventional methods and game controls/menu ingame are totally unresponsive.

I'm running the game in Japanese Locale and as admin, windows 7 64bit (also tried XP SP3 and Vista SP2 compat modes). I have installed the sdrt4280j), and I'm using the latest patched version you've provided. I used a previous version before with the same results, and - of course - had deleted every trace of the previous one Before running this, including deleting the appdata files for nitro+). I have Shark007 codes installed and have just updated them (tried before updating as well).

Can anyone Please help me? I know I'm missing something? All help very much appreciated.

Edited by Airhersalderaz
confirming subscription to thread

To tell you the truth, the patches for that game are a complete clusterfuck. The version that's on ED is probably not the most updated one since there are fixes still coming out. I would suggest that you download this version - http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=310518 . It's pre-patched, but with all the updates up until May. See if that version works for you. If it doesn't, then just get a clean install version (not pre-patched) see if it works fine untranslated and also test it with the Automated Patch V.1_3.7 only, etc. Best way to find the problem is to work your way up from the untranslated game to every patch installed.

Edited by killerinsidee

Thank you very much for your reply. I will try what you have suggested, I'm downloading the pre-patched file, thank you for providing the link. I want to try a clean install as you've said, if the other does not work. Is the "DA free" version of the VN from erogedownload.com the clean version of Steins Gate? and if not, can you recommend where I might find it? I'll provide an status update when I've tried the version you linked me too.

Again Thank you for your help ^_^

Edited by Airhersalderaz
Status Update
Thank you very much for your reply. I will try what you have suggested, I'm downloading the pre-patched file, thank you for providing the link. I want to try a clean install as you've said, if the other does not work. Is the "DA free" version of the VN from erogedownload.com the clean version of Steins Gate? and if not, can you recommend where I might find it? I'll provide an status update when I've tried the version you linked me too.

Again Thank you for your help ^_^

NyaaTorrents >> Torrent Information >> [PC???][100826] NITRO+ 5pb - STEINS;GATE ?????? ??? ??? (MDF MDS 3%RR).rar | Anime, manga, and music - Just say the word

HI there,

Unfortunately both the patched version AND the original untouched clean version have the exact same result: The game loads and operates perfectly up to the point Okabe leaves the lecture room and then says he's running to the roof while ignoring the no entry signs after the tremor and loud bang was heard. The the screen goes black and everything becomes unresponsive, and then windows decides the program is not responding (this time). So now I've tried it on three different patched versions AND the original...

Could this be a codec issue? Could I be missing one of the codecs required for steins gate? I'm using shark 007 as I've said and they are up to date. Perhaps the "K-Lite" codec pack contains a codec missing from shark007? If so, perhaps I could isolate it and install it individually? because shark007 has served me well with anime and tv shows etc.

I've been un-installing sdrt4280j and then re-installing it each time I use a different version of SG. I have my system in Japanese Locale and I've now tested the original clean version of the VN. I read somewhere that changing the name of the folder from Steins;Gate to Steins Gate solved some problems, but none of them where mine...

Where do I go from here? Thanks for all your help thus far -

i played steins gate from erogedownload and it's working fine for me and make sure you follow the complete installation of steins gate guide there

the only problem i found is the untranslated tips in game(don't ever click that or you will get error with your game)

if it's related to codec try to complete uninstall whatever codec you use, reboot your pc and install K-Lite, and then reboot cause some codecs may conflict if you install from different sources

try it and see if it can help you....

HI there Ero Majin,

thank you for the advice. I have so far used 3 different pre-patched, pre-prepared versions of the game, and the original untouched one. So other than running the install and having the system in Japanese locale, the other steps where either already done or in the case of the original version I did not update or patch it, so as to test if the same thing happened. And the exact same problem at the same part of the VN occurred. I've never clicked on the tips option before either.

Do you have windows 7? And do you use K-lite video codec? I can try what you've said, uninstalling my current codec pack and then installing the K-Lite etc, but even if it does work, I'm concerned that I'll find myself dissatisfied with K-lite's effect on my tv show's etc playback quality when compared to shark007? Am I mistaken? (I went the whole nine yards with MPC-HC, MADVR, Re-clock, wtc to get best quality video playback). Also, would you happen to know the exact codecs required for steins gate to function properly - so that I might install any missing ones on their own, adding to my current pack? As If I did this then it shouldn't cause a conflict if I'm just installing codecs that are not already on my system? As I said before the Fate Stay Night VN works perfectly on my system.

Finally, does this name changing business mean anything? Did you ever have to change the names of files included in the game's folder, or the folders name itself?

- I noticed the guide mentions to mount the .mds file. I mounted the .mdf file. I'm going to try mounting the .mds file for installation instead, encase this is involved with the problem -

Thank you very much for your help -

Edited by Airhersalderaz
Status update
HI there Ero Majin,

thank you for the advice. I have so far used 3 different pre-patched, pre-prepared versions of the game, and the original untouched one. So other than running the install and having the system in Japanese locale, the other steps where either already done or in the case of the original version I did not update or patch it, so as to test if the same thing happened. And the exact same problem at the same part of the VN occurred. I've never clicked on the tips option before either.

Do you have windows 7? And do you use K-lite video codec? I can try what you've said, uninstalling my current codec pack and then installing the K-Lite etc, but even if it does work, I'm concerned that I'll find myself dissatisfied with K-lite's effect on my tv show's etc playback quality when compared to shark007? Am I mistaken? (I went the whole nine yards with MPC-HC, MADVR, Re-clock, wtc to get best quality video playback). Also, would you happen to know the exact codecs required for steins gate to function properly - so that I might install any missing ones on their own, adding to my current pack? As If I did this then it shouldn't cause a conflict if I'm just installing codecs that are not already on my system? As I said before the Fate Stay Night VN works perfectly on my system.

Finally, does this name changing business mean anything? Did you ever have to change the names of files included in the game's folder, or the folders name itself?

- I noticed the guide mentions to mount the .mds file. I mounted the .mdf file. I'm going to try mounting the .mds file for installation instead, encase this is involved with the problem -

Thank you very much for your help -

i tried steins gate on both my laptop and desktop with K-Lite and it works well for me (pc with win 7 ultimate and laptop with xp sp3)

from what i can tell K-Lite working well with all anime/vn i've been playing so far although it may not be the best for tv show program cause i'm not too picky about that thing(i just use MPC/VLC to watch any tv show actually)

you can tweak your K-Lite to get the best results but it will require some knowledge about that and if you mess with it some codecs may not working properly

also i think that in erogedownload a user say that haali media splitter can cause error with steins gate but i guess it's random problem just fyi

unfortunately i don't know about certain codecs required to play steins gate, perhaps it's just the standard like avc for video or AAC for audio

the steins gate translation itself has been halt for several months already and i have no news about it although you can check at The Illustrated Timeline for latest news project

like killer said the patches are a complete clusterfuck and it's been frustrating some people

or you can wait for JAST to officially release steins gate, though it may take a while, dunno how long exactly

like i said before only use one codec in your pc cause it may conflict with another other codec (VLC is an exception)

steins gate itself doesn't require you to change its folders name or files to play properly

here's some tutorial for installing K-Lite

k-lite Mega Codec Pack - Installation Tutorial

or you can just browse youtube and type How To Install the K-Lite Mega Codec, there should be several tutorial there

I'm pretty sure the spot where your game is crashing is where the op video is, so it's probably a codec problem. If you want to know exactly which codecs you need, try to find the op video in the game folder and use some tool to find out what codecs it uses.

Hi there

Thank you all very much for your help! Btw Dan, the point at which it stopped working for me was literally just before okabe reaches the roof with the crashed satellite, it's "in-game", not a video. However upon uninstalling the shark007 codec pack and then installing K-Lite pack and restarting, now Steins Gate seems to work perfectly, it's passed the problem zone, but I haven't played any further because It was an unholy time in the morning when I finally got everything working.

So Just to confirm: For the TIME being, the problem seems to be solved! *pun intended* (I know, it's terrible...) Using K-Lite Codec pack.

Ero-majin Thank you for all your help, I will try to set up K-lite in the same config as I did Shark007. I would just LOVE to know what was missing from it that K-lite has... You say that Haali Splitter can cause a problem. I will test that, if it turns out to be the root of the problem that would be great. If the issue occurred due to settings rather than missing codecs then I can fix shark007 to work with VN's. Would you happen to know where I might find a complete list of file types that VN's use? If I knew I could use the K-lite codec tweak tool to test using/not using Haali splitter on each of those file types with K-lite pack, and if the problem occurs again, then I can try not using Haali with those file extensions when using shark007 and see if it solves the problem? Or I could use trial and error (which would be a bit tedious...)

EDIT:

- Interestingly, Enabling Haali splitter on all possible file extensions within x86 using the K-lite codec tweak tool resulted in a different problem: The first prologue video displayed no visual, and the satellite on the games title screen was static (not spinning). However it had no effect on progressing past my previous problem point, that still works perfectly. Of course everything works fine after undoing the changes made with Haali splitter.

This of course means that it was a different codec/setting that was upsetting Steins Gate when using shark 007. For the sake of curiosity, I will now try uninstalling k-lite, and re-installing shark007 using default settings and see if the VN works then...

- I'll keep you posted.

Again, Thank you so much for your help - Ero-majin, Killerinsidee and Dan.

Edited by Airhersalderaz
Test results thus far -
Hi there

Thank you all very much for your help! Btw Dan, the point at which it stopped working for me was literally just before okabe reaches the roof with the crashed satellite, it's "in-game", not a video. However upon uninstalling the shark007 codec pack and then installing K-Lite pack and restarting, now Steins Gate seems to work perfectly, it's passed the problem zone, but I haven't played any further because It was an unholy time in the morning when I finally got everything working.

So Just to confirm: For the TIME being, the problem seems to be solved! *pun intended* (I know, it's terrible...) Using K-Lite Codec pack.

Ero-majin Thank you for all your help, I will try to set up K-lite in the same config as I did Shark007. I would just LOVE to know what was missing from it that K-lite has... You say that Haali Splitter can cause a problem. I will test that, if it turns out to be the root of the problem that would be great. If the issue occurred due to settings rather than missing codecs then I can fix shark007 to work with VN's. Would you happen to know where I might find a complete list of file types that VN's use? If I knew I could use the K-lite codec tweak tool to test using/not using Haali splitter on each of those file types with K-lite pack, and if the problem occurs again, then I can try not using Haali with those file extensions when using shark007 and see if it solves the problem? Or I could use trial and error (which would be a bit tedious...)

Again, Thank you so much for your help - Ero-majin, Killerinsidee and Dan.

complete files that vn's use...hmm, that would be difficult...

but, try to check this links if you're interested with vn engines and tools:

Tools for working with visual novels

Visual Novel Engine Formats Page

Hi there,

Just so you know, I have changed back to my Shark007 codec, and upon using the default settings, and selecting "disable Haali splitter (Global)" I have found that Steins;Gate still works perfectly, in every way! (Thus far) This means that it may very well be a different setting that was causing my original problem with Shark007, I'll be prudent in discovering what this is. So I've achieved my goal! Thank you for the link! I hope that other's who have had my problem find this thread, so it helps them too.

There is one last thing I need to ask though, does the patch that Killerinsidee provided the link for, for me - SteinsGate+Automated+Patch+V.1_3 - make Steins;Gate installation Equally up to date in every aspect as the pre-patched version that he also provided the link for? (Both in his earlier post)

Thanks Everyone

El. Psy. Congroo.

Edited by Airhersalderaz
There is one last thing I need to ask though, does the patch that Killerinsidee provided the link for, for me - SteinsGate+Automated+Patch+V.1_3 - make Steins;Gate installation Equally up to date in every aspect as the pre-patched version that he also provided the link for? (Both in his earlier post)

Thanks Everyone

El. Psy. Congroo.

Not really. For the most part it does, but there are some fix update patches and other nonsense. That's why I said that it's a clusterfuck.