I just started using this yesterday for Memories Off 1. I can't believe how well it's been working so far, as I have been able to understand a good 85-90% of dialogue messages so far, and I have been wanting to play this game for a very long time. Even when something is impossible to understand, the next message or two usually serve to inform what was previously said. I don't know even a word of Japanese, and yet I've been able to piece together the meanings of almost everything I've run into in my 3 hours reading. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic with the program, which I'm using along with Translator Aggregator. It takes patience, but it's well worth it.

Has anyone else here given this a try? If so, what are your impressions?

Be sure to install Jparser and MeCab if you can read hiragana, it will allow you to read "phonetically" the text.

When you are able to read all the narration and protagonist sentences, you get to understand them like the voiced heroines...

JparserMecab.jpg

Top is Atlas and bottom is google, you will end up not reading them anymore...

By the way it doesn't show on the pic but when you hover the mouse over the green blocks, you get English traduction of the kanji as a bonus.

Edited by Sokyra
Has anyone else here given this a try? If so, what are your impressions?

The quality of machine translations always depends on the game. For example, I played 'tomoyo after' with agth-atlas and could understand, like you, nearly 90% of the game. When I tried the same with awesome 'tayutama'...it gave me a huge headache. So yeah, it can be fine and it's better than nothing but I personally won't use machine translations again.

In my opinion this thing is utter crap.

The main point of a VN is what you read, and if that is mostly garbage which you have to make a sense of on your own, then it is just not worth it.

Just wait till you can read japanese or till someone translates it, or don't read it at all is what I say to this.

I personally love the challenge of trying to interpret what's being said. I was an English Major, so that kind of thing was always fun for me anyway. With this, it's all about finding context.

I know I'm never going to learn Japanese, so that's out of the question. As far as waiting for someone to translate it, depending on the game, it may never happen. I believe with Memories Off especially, it'll forever remain untranslated. In a case like that, I think the program is great! I'm able to understand exactly what is happening as the plot progresses, even though I'm moving at a considerably slow pace.

If you have the patience (and chances are you will if you've been wanting to play the VN for a long time), and have the right interpretation skills, it's well worth it in the end!

Haha, sorry, I wasn't trying to sound that negative.

I've been trying to use these tools for some games, and the result just always has been awful.

And a lot of sentences also sounded pretty funny..so those also slowed me down a lot.

I guess I'm seeing stuff also a bit different since I'm learning japanese, but I just can't say that I've truly read something if I'd use these tools.

Sure you could probably interpret it all right, but you would miss out on the whole style of writing as well :/

@OneManArmy

I'll thank you anyway..

Not that I disagree with you on this.