Best text extraction tool for machine translation: AGTH or ITH ?

Last summer, I bought a new laptop since the old one's graphic card showed signs of serious trouble. I had installed machine translation software (AGTH, Atlas, and Translation Aggregator) on the old laptop some time ago and used it to machine-translate several Japanese eroges.

As a rule, I've realized I find machine translation of Japanese games a worthwhile pursuit if it's nukiges I especially fancy, to get a broad understanding of their simple stories and of important scenes, or on a big stretch, to finish untranslated or partially translated routes in story-driven eroges if I'm really, really impatient (or desperate) about their eventual translation and want to know the ending; but for whole story-driven games, or even whole routes thereof in many cases, it's not really worth the effort, too many important nuances and details of story and dialogue may get lost. Anyway, back then I was not mindful of the existence of ITH.

I was able to stopgap the malfunctioning of the old laptop's graphic card, but only to the price of reduced driver functionality, which means I could still use for playing not-so-recent eroges, but several new games won't work. I had not yet gotten to installing machine translation software on the new laptop since I mostly played translated VNs in these last few months.

Now, next week a Japanese nukige I'm very, very interested in shall be released, so I really have to address the task of making the new laptop ready for machine translation. In these last few months, I became aware of the existence of ITH as an alternative to AGTH. So I kindly inquire the forum's collective wisdom: which is the best text extraction tool for machine translation: AGTH or ITH ? I am under the tentative impression that ITH might be preferable since I understand it doesn't need a separate link for every game, something I found a chore when I used AGTH, but I'd still like to know the advice of fans more savy in this field than myself.

Edited by Wanderer
Now, next week a Japanese nukige I'm very, very interested in shall be released...

May I know which one? :)

And I used both of them for my 1st japanese VN and I liked ITH more. It's easier to use and it worked better for me, since AGTH freezed at least one time in each game I played ... don't know why.

ITH should be better, even more so if you play recent games. You even have the possibility to use agth codes in case ITH doesn't automatically find the text strings.

I only had compatibility problems with old games that only worked with agth.

May I know which one? :)

Sure. I'm a big fan of Crowd games, X Change 1-3, Yin-Yang X Change Alternative 1, and 3 Methods to Conquer the World (plus fandisk), and next week Yin-Yang X Change EX, their spiritual successor, shall be released. It combines one of my preferred genres (school life comedy) with one of my preferred fetishes (feminization sex-change), so I am very eagerly expecting it.

I thoroughly enjoyed all of those games, except Yin-Yang Change Alternative 2, which I soon ragequit as I found the multiple protagonist story too confusing to follow even with machine translation, and it had a different fetish (body switch) that didn't appeal so much to me.

This time it shall be a young teacher to suffer the sex-change, not students or a Maou as in the previous games, and the story should be fairly simple to follow, akin to X Change 3 and Yin-Yang X Change Alternative 1 (apparently four potential love interests: female childhood friend student; female young teacher; male student; male young teacher).

Edited by Wanderer
Sure. I'm a big fan of Crowd games, X Change 1-3, Yin-Yang X Change Alternative 1, and 3 Methods to Conquer the World (plus fandisk), and next week Yin-Yang X Change EX, their spiritual successor, shall be released. It combines one of my preferred genres (school life comedy) with one of my preferred fetishes (feminization sex-change), so I am very eagerly expecting it.

I thoroughly enjoyed all of those games, except Yin-Yang Change Alternative 2, which I soon ragequit as I found the multiple protagonist story too confusing to follow even with machine translation, and it had a different fetish (body switch) that didn't appeal so much to me.

This time it shall be a young teacher to suffer the sex-change, not students or a Maou as in the previous games, and the story should be fairly simple to follow, akin to X Change 3 and Yin-Yang X Change Alternative 1 (apparently four potential love interests: female childhood friend student; female young teacher; male student; male young teacher).

Hm, maybe I'll play it in my Christmas holidays too, but somehow I think I'll have no time to play. Played X-Change Alternative and X-Change 3, and yeah, it was variation from all the other VN I played, therefore maybe I'll play this one too.

Hm, maybe I'll play it in my Christmas holidays too, but somehow I think I'll have no time to play. Played X-Change Alternative and X-Change 3, and yeah, it was variation from all the other VN I played, therefore maybe I'll play this one too.

If you played and liked X-Change Alternative and X-Change 3, I also suggest you play Sekai wo Seifuku Suru Tame no, 3tsu no Houhou (3 Methods to Conquer the World). Same basic idea, but the protagonist is a young Maou (demon king) in a fantasy world. It was good, too.

If you played and liked X-Change Alternative and X-Change 3, I also suggest you play Sekai wo Seifuku Suru Tame no, 3tsu no Houhou (3 Methods to Conquer the World). Same basic idea, but the protagonist is a young Maou (demon king) in a fantasy world. It was good, too.

My list is getting longer and longer ... at the end of 2012 I'll have over 30 VN on my list that I want to play (now I have 23) :D