ef - a fairy tale of the two. review by Harlequin

ef - a fairy tale of the two. (VNDB)

ef - a fairy tale of the two.jpg

Opening movie:

(Spoilers are all inside the spoiler box down at the bottom.)

"In order to grant your dream, you must first have one."

First of all, let's set up a counter, shall we? A counter for how many times I utilize the word "beautiful" in this little review. Because I'm sure anyone who has read this VN will agree with me when I say that there are plenty of things in it that can be considered beautiful. Well I'll just put the total amount of "beautiful" down at the bottom, for fun.

That's three already by the way.

But nevermind that. What exactly is ef - a fairy tale of the two? A very cozy and utterly beautiful romance visual novel. It often makes you feel good reading it, in several different ways though and for several different reasons. Sometimes it is heartwarming, sometimes it is very meaningful, while at other times it is just simply emotional. To be honest, I'm usually more interested in the "weird and mysterious" rather than just romance. But this VN was good for me, especially so during the last chapters. It does have its own share of mysteries, but most importantly, it really did tug at my heartstrings a lot at times - and I can really appreciate that. There's nothing quite like that moment when you feel like you have to cry, and actually end up doing so. Is it not nice that we here can experience something so emotional and special? Something that can move us like that? Well, I think so. So thank you for that, ef, as well as every other VN capable of achieving this.

Well, let's go to the specifics for this pretty VN known as ef - a fairy tale of the two.

Visuals/Art - Let's open up strong then, shall we? Oh yes, the visuals and art found in this VN are superb. When it comes to the overall art style, it is indeed very beautiful and of high quality. There's really nothing to complain about with it. That said, there are some more particular things that needs to be mentioned here...

The CG art. Yes, there is a very large amount of CG in this VN. In fact, most of the time you'll be looking at CG rather than sprite art (for characters). But this is a good thing, because all of the CG art is just absolutely great. This is actually one of the reasons why this whole VN feels so good to read. The art alone manages to heighten the reading experience, making it feel more cozy and atmospheric. It's a feast for the eyes, to say the least.

Now, let's not forget about the visual effects. Yes, visual effects. Mouths that move when characters talk, as well as blinking eyes. Simple, right? But the thing is, most VNs do not have these effects, yet they do make a bit of a difference. Oh and, you can see these effects in both the CG art as well as on the normal sprite art. It's a cool thing. Does it perhaps make it feel more "real"? I'm not entirely sure, I just know I like it a lot. Have you ever read Muv-Luv Alternative? If you have, then you're familiar with these effects. It's pretty nice, isn't it? More VNs should have these kinds of things.

Also, I suppose the OP movies should be mentioned... Yes, they are very nice indeed. They are played quite late in the VN though, so it's hard to expect them to show up at all unless someone tells you about them beforehand. But yes, they're great.

Sound/VA/Music - From one strong point to another it seems! The music in this VN is extraordinarily beautiful. Several songs are just so incredibly soothing and wonderful to listen to. There are actually a lot of songs in total. And yes, they do fit very well with the theme of the story in this VN.

Violins, oh sweet violins, how I love thee...

Could the music get better? Yes, although not by that much to be honest. I mean, listen to it yourself. Read this VN and listen to its songs, and you'll no doubt think that it's phenomenal as well. The music in ef really knows how to strengthen the impact and the emotions of each individual scene. Is there a happy and peaceful walking scene? There's a great song for that. Is there a beautiful moment of tranquility? There's a good song for that too... or more likely several good songs. A moment of sadness that is supposed to move you? Mm, there's something for that as well.

As for voice acting, ef has got that covered nicely. You have the voice actress of Sumika (Muv-Luv Alternative) doing Miyako, then Kei who also has a cool voice for a tsundere, and personally I also thought Chihiro had a really sweet voice. Yuuko's was nice too. Well... I suppose that's a lot of characters mentioned, so let's just say that the voice acting was good across the board then.

Characters - There are quite a lot of characters that matter actually. Or well, it felt like it. They are quite different from each other too. I'd say that there is a good chance that you can find one in there that you end up liking a lot. Should I mention them all? It feels kinda pointless to do that for some reason. Suffice it to say, the characters and their relationship towards each other are essential in a romance VN like this. Their dynamic and the different situations they find themselves in are ultimately what makes it fun to read. Of course, some are more interesting than others. I'll just give special mentioning to four of the characters you can find in ef.

For a tsundere, Kei is very good I must say, but the storyline given to her is hardly that amazing. Same with Miyako, in that she's a good friendly heroine with a perfect voice to match that personality, but storyline-wise? Not so great. It's a shame to be honest. Both of these characters are nice, but the situations they're put in just aren't that special.

Chihiro is a super moe character, and thankfully the story revolving around her is actually quite intriguing. Now, I'm not going to just say what it's about. It's better to see these things for yourself, if you haven't already. Anyway, she's possibly my favourite character of the bunch, or at the very least one of my favourites.

And then there's Yuuko, of course. The character herself is overall pretty sweet and funny, with nice clothes (!). But I'd say it is her story that is the most impressive and beautiful.

Plot/Story - A beautiful overall romance story, with both sad and happy moments in it. That was obvious right? I sure hope so. It's a story that will make you feel good in many different ways, and a story that can expertly evoke emotions in you. It's pretty linear though. Sure there are some bad endings to get, but it's still linear. You go from Chapter 1, to Chapter 2, to Chapter 3, and so on. From one couple, to the next couple. It's predictable that way, although mostly early on. Either way, that's just the nature of the main story of ef, so I can't really complain about it. It's just the way it works. And it obviously does work because the end result is something very sweet.

Something I can complain about though is that the early chapters (1 & 2) are indeed very "normal" and really not that interesting. But that's pretty much it though. Because once you get to Chapter 3, the romance starts getting a lot more intriguing and more special. But most importantly, the last chapters in ef are fantastic. In the end, it was these chapters that ultimately made me think very highly of this VN. Because they grabbed me. They really are beautiful and well-written.

To be honest, all of the above is subjective. You might like the first two chapters a lot. I didn't though. Still, anyone who has read ef would say that the last chapters of it are magnificent. Because they just are. You will think so too after you've read this VN, most likely.

Screenshots (click the thumbnails) -

ef1.jpg ef2.jpg ef3.jpg ef4.jpg

ef5.jpg ef6.jpg ef7.jpg ef8.jpg

Final words - So, ef - a fairy tale of the two... Is it the best VN I've ever read? No. But it is certainly one of the better ones, above plenty of others, thanks to the last chapters in it. That said, it is most likely the best romance VN I have personally read so far. Note that when I say romance VN, I mean a VN that has romance as the main focus. Other greater titles have romance too, but not necessarily as their main thing.

This is an extremely beautiful VN, on all points. Art, music, story. It is something very impressive to see, hear, and experience. It's a VN that can easily move you. It made me cry. That actually has to mean something, you know? And don't just think that I cried for one reason alone. No, tears were shed for many reasons, sadness and happiness being two of them. Hopefully, your experience can be something similar!

Who should read ef? Well, I'd say that anyone who likes to read VNs should try it, actually. But most importantly, anyone who is interested in romance stories in general should read it all the way to the end. It is no doubt one of the better ones out there when it comes to meaningful romance as well as emotional moments that can really get to you. But either way, it also has that beautiful art and music that shouldn't be missed by anyone at all.

A beautiful, moving and emotional romance story - ef - a fairy tale of the two. - Read it, unless you hate crying and/or good romance.

Pros: Cozy, exceptional art style, nice visual effects, large amount of good-looking CG art, beautiful music, sweet voice acting, good variety of characters, meaningful overall story, interesting romance, superb ending.

Cons: Quite bland storyline-wise in the beginning (first two chapters).

Harlequin gives ef - a fairy tale of the two. a rating of...

9.2/10

(Follows the rating scale on VNDB)

Remember, this is only my opinion and experience with this visual novel.

"Beautiful" counter: 15 (damn...)

Here's the spoiler box with some spoilerish thoughts and impressions I got from reading this VN.

Do not touch it if you have not fully read this VN already:

The backstory of Yuu and Yuuko's relationship... Yes, that was something very sweet and beautiful alright. However, you better believe that I fucking hated that monster known as Akira Amamiya once the VN told me of his doings. In a serious story, with serious romance, if a character does something like he did (rape, physical/mental torture, etc.)... It just makes me so mad. I get this seething anger kicking in. Funny how a fictional character can make me REALLY want to strangle him to death. Well he did do very horrible things, so hey.

Then of course there was Yuuko's death and the revelations revolving around that. This was perhaps the very best time of the whole VN. Her death, and what follows after. Many tears were shed, yes. This was meaningful... and different. Normally I'd just be sad and disappointed, but it just didn't end up being that way. Sad I was, but disappointed? No. It was just... beautiful. Her death - it happened. You had to accept it, and so did Yuu. And to accept it in the end actually felt very good. It was perfect this way. It was a perfect ending. It should not have ended any other way, if you ask me.

Other than that, don't have too much to say. The VN was really great, starting from Chapter 3 and going all the way until the end, more or less. It's quite unfortunate that the first two chapters ended up being a bit too ordinary.

Edited by Harlequin

I really enjoyed your review so let me comment on some things.

Oh yes, the visuals and art found in this VN are fantastic. Some of the best I've seen so far, I think, for more than one reason. When it comes to the overall art style, it is indeed very beautiful and of high quality.

The amazing thing about ef's art were the backgrounds, freakin detailed and smooth. As for the overall quality, there are visual novels with better art, just sayin.

Mouths that move when characters talk, as well as blinking eyes. Simple, right? But the thing is, most VNs do not have these effects, yet they do make a bit of a difference.

I definitely have to agree here. Mouth and eye animations make every visual novel so much better. My first game with such animations was canvas 2 and damn, after that every game without such animations wasn't as good as before.

Violins, oh sweet violins, how I love thee...

That's the best sentence of your whole review. =D

To be honest, could the music get better?

Oh it can. Ef contains a lot of very great tracks, especially the piano ones, but there are also stupid tracks. The overall quality is still amazing though.

That said, it is most likely the best romance VN I have personally read so far.

For me it's the most heartbreaking Visual Novel I've ever read. It even beats clannad. I'm obviously talking about the last chapter, the rest was just decent-good.

Spoiler time

Then of course there was Yuuko's death and the revelations revolving around that. This was perhaps the very best time of the whole VN. Her death, and what follows after.

The death scene and the ending were both unbelievable sad and emotional. I didn't cry (what a shame) but those scenes definitely reached my heart.

I really enjoyed your review so let me comment on some things.

The amazing thing about ef's art were the backgrounds, freakin detailed and smooth. As for the overall quality, there are visual novels with better art, just sayin.

I definitely have to agree here. Mouth and eye animations make every visual novel so much better. My first game with such animations was canvas 2 and damn, after that every game without such animations wasn't as good as before.

That's the best sentence of your whole review. =D

Oh it can. Ef contains a lot of very great tracks, especially the piano ones, but there are also stupid tracks. The overall quality is still amazing though.

For me it's the most heartbreaking Visual Novel I've ever read. It even beats clannad. I'm obviously talking about the last chapter, the rest was just decent-good.

Spoiler time

The death scene and the ending were both unbelievable sad and emotional. I didn't cry (what a shame) but those scenes definitely reached my heart.

Heh, perhaps I exaggerate some points a bit too much... well, yes, that happens. It just ends up that way with these greater VNs. In any case, changes can and will be made. I've already changed the other reviews plenty of times already. Gonna tweak this one a little bit now, since there's probably some typos in there as well anyway. Thank you.

hmm, this is one of the few VN"s I dropped, partly because I didn't like it (after 2 hours) and partly because the options didn't work or something (it was right after the patch released, don't really remember anymore).

Anyway your review have me hope that the the awesome VN's aren't over after I complete Muv luv Alternative:) Well done!

hmm, this is one of the few VN"s I dropped, partly because I didn't like it (after 2 hours) and partly because the options didn't work or something (it was right after the patch released, don't really remember anymore).

Anyway your review have me hope that the the awesome VN's aren't over after I complete Muv luv Alternative:) Well done!

Cant blame you man, first two chapters were a real pain in the ass. But believe me, surviving them is definitely worth it.

Cant blame you man, first two chapters were a real pain in the ass. But believe me, surviving them is definitely worth it.

• 1 month later...

I really liked your review a lot. I personally thought everything up to chapter 4 was decent but the story really came on strong in chapter 4. Although Ef was not my all time favorite VN it will probably have a special place in my heart no matter what I read from now on.

BIG BIG BIG SPOILERS FOR EF

I had read a few VN's before this and thought that I could not really be surprised anymore by a VN's story but I was very wrong with Yuuko's story. Up to that point the stories had been fairly tame and I had gotten used to the whole fall in love with a girl, she has an issue that you help her get through, then it is over. With Yuuko's story though I was completely shocked and apalled when I found out what happened to her not just once, but over and over again. It was crazy but I really wanted to hurt that bastard Amamiya, he does not get a Mr. as he doesn't deserve the respect! Then after she is finally starting to move forward and is expecting a child with Yuu she dies and her and the baby are lost. I hated the ending, at the time, most of all because I felt that if anyone should have lived happily it should have been her.

With that said though, I did like the ending the way it was after I finished the VN. I can't really explain why but it seemed more real to me that way and I think the reason it left such a long term emotional impact was BECAUSE things did not end up happily ever after. Sort of the reason why Greek tragedies are still remembered today I guess.

I really liked your review a lot. I personally thought everything up to chapter 4 was decent but the story really came on strong in chapter 4. Although Ef was not my all time favorite VN it will probably have a special place in my heart no matter what I read from now on.

BIG BIG BIG SPOILERS FOR EF

I had read a few VN's before this and thought that I could not really be surprised anymore by a VN's story but I was very wrong with Yuuko's story. Up to that point the stories had been fairly tame and I had gotten used to the whole fall in love with a girl, she has an issue that you help her get through, then it is over. With Yuuko's story though I was completely shocked and apalled when I found out what happened to her not just once, but over and over again. It was crazy but I really wanted to hurt that bastard Amamiya, he does not get a Mr. as he doesn't deserve the respect! Then after she is finally starting to move forward and is expecting a child with Yuu she dies and her and the baby are lost. I hated the ending, at the time, most of all because I felt that if anyone should have lived happily it should have been her.

With that said though, I did like the ending the way it was after I finished the VN. I can't really explain why but it seemed more real to me that way and I think the reason it left such a long term emotional impact was BECAUSE things did not end up happily ever after. Sort of the reason why Greek tragedies are still remembered today I guess.

Glad you liked it. ^^ Well, perhaps you liked the VN a little bit more then if you didn't mind the first chapters that much. Not that I thought they were terrible or anything myself - just bland and "normal". But yea, those last chapters are definitely excellent and very memorable. Certain events that transpire during those chapters will always have a special place in my heart as well.

[spoiler=ef - a fairy tale of the two.]It was something else, wasn't it? Yuuko's story. It grabs you alright, and does not let go. It stirs up many different emotions in you at many different times. I guess that's one of the reasons why I loved it as well.

And I really do understand how you felt that Yuuko deserved to have complete happiness after all of that. I often feel this way myself about many different characters in VNs who undergoes a ton of sad/depressing/tough moment and events.

BUT, yes, the ending of Ef is definitely perfect the way it is now. It is the most powerful and memorable this way. It's really sad, but also very right. You know, it's most likely one of the best endings I've experienced so far in any VN. It's just so damn good.... and I'm actually gonna read through those last parts of it again soon, thanks to you, haha.

The church scene with Yuuko praying... I will cry again, no doubt about that.