Is it just me or is this site and the sister site getting constant popups suddenly?

As you might've noticed, past few days, I've been on upload-spree. I want to get every game that was ever released in English posted on site.

Since I'm very far away from home, and i don't have access to my DVDs with burned oldschool stuff on it, I've been visiting other sites, trying to collect odd game here and there. There are quite a few sites sites with this kind of content ( 98% of them just leeches stuff from me and posts as their own, but let's not get into that subject again... ), and I know only two that doesn't feature any ads, one of which is hosted ghetto-style on home pc of site owner and takes 2-3 minutes to load.

What really made me feel like a sucker was henarchive... that site has 19 (sic!) ad-units on every page, yet they still have the nerve to ask for donations "to keep site running". I've checked their alexa rankings and they seem to be even more popular than ED... feels bad when shit like that is higher ranked than site that you spent literally thousands of $s to keep ad-free for best user experience, isn't it?

I belive that currently EG and ED are the best sites available in this niche in terms of quality - fastest releases, no dead links, best seeded torrents, but after seeing shit that gets passed as "quality site", I've decided to stop funding ED/EG sites out of my own pocket - users are going to get 100% of what they've put in. 99% gets ad-block? fine, enjoy site being hosted on some crappy 5$/month shared server that times out 9 out of 10 times when you refresh page.

Yes, i know pop-ups suck, but i've been working with those networks for years - i simply don't know good banner networks that will:

-accept this kind of traffic

-don't pay shit like 0,01$ CPM

-install no malware on user's PCs

I'll be looking into some banners, CPC or stuff that'll replace popups, but it takes time...

On related note - if you're willing to fund server that is able to handle 2952004 pageviews/month - feel free to contact me, and I'll gladly remove all ads. I'll also need seedbox with SSH access, 1TB+ HDD and unlimited 1Gbit uplink. Estimated cost for both is 450-500$.

You can also just check "keep me logged in" and you'll get no ads on EG, without needing to install any add-ons to your browser.

why don't u put up a donation option and give donation member some ranks ? or is there an issue thats make donation impossible?,i would gladly donate since i visit ur sites frequently and honestly is the best sides for english VN.

why don't u put up a donation option and give donation member some ranks ? Or is there an issue thats make donation impossible?,i would gladly donate since i visit ur sites frequently and honestly is the best sides for english vn.

actually someone asked ivan to do that before..

And it turned out like a joke..

Though there's still a few that actually donate

but ivan dont want to ask his members to pay since the forums and the main site was his hobby~~

actually someone asked ivan to do that before..

And it turned out like a joke..

Though there's still a few that actually donate

but ivan dont want to ask his members to pay since the forums and the main site was his hobby~~

just put up the donation box and give donator some benefit like a forum for donator only,and colour name or something,and about not taking money from member i't can't be helped when u don't have enough money to support the site by yourself thus i don't see anything wrong by just putting up the donation box if someone want to donate they will.

just put up the donation box and give donator some benefit like a forum for donator only,and colour name or something,and about not taking money from member i't can't be helped when u don't have enough money to support the site by yourself thus i don't see anything wrong by just putting up the donation box if someone want to donate they will.

IVAN can support both site by his own >.>

he's been doing that for years..

its just that there have been a discussion going on

and most of us agreed to have more ads to help funding both sites..

and plus..

we have given up hopes on relying on donations..

but certainly...

ivan can put it up and felt sad again~~

IVAN can support both site by his own >.>

he's been doing that for years..

its just that there have been a discussion going on

and most of us agreed to have more ads to help funding both sites..

and plus..

we have given up hopes on relying on donations..

but certainly...

ivan can put it up and felt sad again~~

man i don't want to argue with u since clearly whatever i say u will shut it down w/e man i already say my piece.

why don't u put up a donation option and give donation member some ranks ? or is there an issue thats make donation impossible?,i would gladly donate since i visit ur sites frequently and honestly is the best sides for english VN.

Three issues with donations:

-I've had donation button on ED some time ago. There were 3 donations in total in span of 2 months, for total ammount 11,47$.

-Legal issues. It's kinda of gray area, since by accepting donations it'd kinda be like "selling" someone's else copyrighted work, kinda depends how judge would look at it. Contary to popular belief, this website is completely legal as it is now.

-(most important one) With current, ad-supported model, people who don't care much about site ( hit-and-run leechers who just grab the games and don't even bother registering/saying thanks ) carry the burden of sponsoring content for people who care ( registered members don't see any ads). If i remove ads and ask for donations, it'll be other way around. I can bet any money, that leechers who don't even bother registering, which takes 15 seconds, won't donate any money... of course it'd be regular members who'd foot the bill for leechers to benefit.

Three issues with donations:

-I've had donation button on ED some time ago. There were 3 donations in total in span of 2 months, for total ammount 11,47$.

-Legal issues. It's kinda of gray area, since by accepting donations it'd kinda be like "selling" someone's else copyrighted work, kinda depends how judge would look at it. Contary to popular belief, this website is completely legal as it is now.

-(most important one) With current, ad-supported model, people who don't care much about site ( hit-and-run leechers who just grab the games and don't even bother registering/saying thanks ) carry the burden of sponsoring content for people who care ( registered members don't see any ads). If i remove ads and ask for donations, it'll be other way around. I can bet any money, that leechers who don't even bother registering, which takes 15 seconds, won't donate any money... of course it'd be regular members who'd foot the bill for leechers to benefit.

there are few other alternative as making ED/EG for member only,using these will make sure anyone who want to view ur site need to register thus increasing the member online and more activity on the site itself,and about leechers there are few alternative that i can suggest but the only way to chase off leechers is to make the website a closed comunity.

anyway if you doesn't want to put up a donation box i guest pops add the only way.

Edited by illuvier

Thread re-railment in progress!

there are few other alternative as making ED/EG for member only, using these will make sure anyone who want to view ur site need to register thus increasing the member online and more activity on the site itself,

The usual register if you want to download eh? Do we really wanna go that path? I don't think that's a good idea.

and about leechers there are few alternative that i can suggest but the only way to chase off leechers is to make the website a closed comunity.

Remind me why do we need to chase away those leechers.

anyway if you doesn't want to put up a donation box i guest pops add the only way.

Donation box is a bit risky imo.

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf
there are few other alternative as making ED/EG for member only,using these will make sure anyone who want to view ur site need to register thus increasing the member online and more activity on the site itself,and about leechers there are few alternative that i can suggest but the only way to chase off leechers is to make the website a closed comunity.

No,no,no. I don't want this site to turn into some secret english-eroge circlejerk closed club. Main reason i started the sites is to make them more available in western markets. I'm not going to force people to register just to see download links or something like that.

Leechers are natural occurence, and trying to fight that is like pissing upwind... Instead of that, wouldn't it be better to use them to foot the bills by seeing ads, so that the other people who care/contribute can enjoy the best quality website instead?

22 posts of members flaming and calling each other names deleted. If you think you can add anything constructive to this topic, feel free to start new thread.