Heart Work Symphony of Destruction Review by OneManArmy

This review doesn't contain any spoilers, so feel free to read.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc486/OneManArmy369/coverosq_zpsrf7nfz4x.jpg

Description

Yuu Asakura was a mild mannered university student until he found a mysterious duffel bag with a gun and orders for an assassination. He was terrified at first, but when he held the smooth metal of the pistol in his hand, he started to become someone else. Capable of anything, Yuu takes the assassination job and enters a world of nonstop sex, blood and guns. When he returns to school with his newfound abilities, he finds it no trouble at all to get any girl he wants. The syndicate and the police want a piece of the new guy, but the one Yuu has to worry about is the gun's original owner.

Art

The game is from 1997 so don't expect anyhting of the art department's work. It's not very detailed or smooth but you can clearly see the difference in comparison to modern visual novels where most characters have over-cute looking faces. I even dare to say that I liked the art but I wouldn't call it great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Music

I can't even remember that the game had any music. It must have been pretty shitty then. Anyway, I believe there was a good track but that one was used for every second scene and so you grow tired of it in no time. Yep, the music sucked.

The Characters

There are a lot of characters but because of the game's length you don't get to know anything about them. They have a fixed personality and they're just doing their job. The personality development of the protagonist was usually rather forced and too quick.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc486/OneManArmy369/3924e_zpsidv80gdw.jpg

^That's btw that policewoman heroine you're interested in, desi.

Sex scenes

I actually read a few of them and they're mostly rape scenes. I'm not really sure what to say about them but you'll find a lot of variety. That's a good thing right?

Story

The game is quite short and has around 20 routes. Some of them are obviously better than other ones. All of them contain drugs, sex and rock 'n' roll death. So don't play this game if you're looking for something light hearted. The routes are straightfoward and don't care about building up the right atmosphere. They're following the motto : Right into the action!!!

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc486/OneManArmy369/hitmanr_zpstarztgbh.jpg

Score

So why do I even bother with writing a review about a game which has a shitload of flaws? Because I'm bored of its unique writing style. The game doesn't mince words which means that people die without getting an annoying moral lecture and insane persons behave like they would in reality. (I'm an insane person by myself so I know what I'm talking about) It's definitely a good change from today's games where you mainly find the power of friendship or a peaceful rainbow land. Violence is no solution blablabla... I don't recommend this game but you should check it out if you're looking for something different and don't mind violence in visual novels.

6/10

Edited by OneManArmy
  • 1 year later...
i willdef give it a try .. i like dark and mysterious VNs.....

It is not really mysterious. I would use the words deranged and psychotic to describe this piece. Particularly the school bits. It is entertaining in places.

Spoilers follow:

This game follows the life of Yuu Asakura over two days. There is not that much in the way of plot or character development. It is just a series of events each with either a good or bad final outcome for the protagonist.

Some have complained that the protagonist is another idiotic blank slate and with many visual novels and anime I frequently make this complaint to. In this case I digress, this game could only work with such a character because only an amoral moron would make such important decisions based on a whim. This allows for the plot to meander anywhere and allows for him to become moral/immoral as circumstance require. A more intelligent lead would lessen the number of story branches leaving us with fewer possible endings.

Out of curiosity which ending did you reach on your first play through (assuming you did not use the walkthrough). I reached ending 6, which I thought was a pretty good one. In most the protagonist dies.

Of the characters I liked Ichihara - The Hunter the most, with the voice acting he was hilarious. Matsui was good fun. Yumi Nakamoto, Angel and Mother were good amongst the females.

A downside is that the supernatural element surrounding the gun is never properly explored.

So imagine yourself as the protagonist, how would you rank the endings? From best to worst I would say: END 3, END 6, END 5, END 4, END 14, END 10, END 2, END 19, END 13, END 17, END 9, END 8, END 12, END 1, END 18, END 15, END 16, END 7, END 11.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...