I did not see this game on the forum so I figured I would add it. Pretty much all discussion is fair game here. Did you like the games or hate them? What did you enjoy or dislike about them? Did you even know they existed!?

Here are the links to all of the music for the first three games and origins since the music is my favorite part of the series:

Ys: 1 and 2/Chronicles

Edited by someguy withaname
Ys: The Oath in Felghana is a really great game.

No no no just no, i hate it with a passion

I still remember those nights i spend trying to kill the blonde guy

Those nights i could've spend sleeping

Now i get nightmares about it

Srsly it's difficulty is over 9000

I bought the updated versions of Ys 1 & 2 on Steam. Was cool, but stopped playing fairly early for no particular reason. I can't say I've played any game with a combat system like that before. :S Takes a bit getting used to.

yeah I never encountered something like that before either until I tried them out. OIF was updated with the same engine they used for Origins and I thought it was much cooler especially when fighting bosses. Some of those boss battles were insane hard though. Brought back memories of some other games I played in the past that almost caused my controller to be embedded in the TV. (Battletoads, my greatest defeat)

I didn't even know the series existed until recently. I love that feeling when you come across a new game and decide to give it a try without any research and it ends up being great. Those are so few and far between these days. sigh

Ive known about it for years, just never bothered with it.

Sue me.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a big fan of the Ys series (and its awesome music) for years. I unfortunately don't own any consoles, so I'm stuck with the ones on Steam.

Of those, Ys Origin is probably my favorite. I like the pre-Fall of Ys setting, the focus on the Goddesses, and Yunica's adorableness. It's also a lot less unforgiving than The Oath in Felghana.

It's a shame Ys I is so archaic in its controls, since that's the one most newcomers would probably start with (and subsequently give up on). Even Ys II is way more advanced, with its larger world and magic system. I'd encourage everyone that is on the fence to start with Ys Origin instead, since it's a prequel anyway.

There are more Ys games on the horizon: XSEED want to release The Ark of Napishtim on Steam (probably after Trails in the Sky -- which is a joint effort with Carpe Fulgur so look forward to censorship and joke translations), and the Chinese company that ported Ys Seven to PC is looking to translate that to English (though their port seems to be of dubious quality). Memories of Celceta for now remains a PSVita exclusive, sadly...