Extracting files from games. (Susie, xp3tools/crass)

Well, I might as well make this topic early.

You know when you're playing a game and you see some really nice artwork, or hear some awesome music, but can't find it online no matter how you look?

Well, maybe this can help. If not, try looking here: TL Wiki Tools

Guaranteed to work for .xp3 files, if you're looking for a way to extract some obsure game data this probably won't help! This is just for those people who've never really come across or used these types of thing before.

You can see some of the pictures I've extracted in my photo albums!

Susie:

[spoiler=Susie]

Susie is... well I don't know much about it, but it's a graphic viewer. It is in Japanese but there is an English menu option.

With the plugins I have included it can open .xp3, NScript Archive, Leaf Archive, ToHeart2, tlg and VisualArts (G00, PDT) files.

Obviously this won't work for all games, but seems to work fine for games with .xp3 or .nsa files. I havn't tested it with all games so I can't confirm what it works on, but this will work if you want to extract some juicy pictures from Fate/Stay Night or Tsukihime.

I was going to extract images and BGM from all the games, but I expect it'll be alot faster if I tell you guys about these tools and let you extract what you want.

If you reply about some other ways of extracting game files, I'll try to include it here.

Download here: Susie347b

Anyway, when you've downloaded it you need to run susie.exe

After that, if the menu is still in japanese follow these instructions:

1. Click the down arrow, click the first option and then click on the lone option. Obviously if you're doing this it'll be in Japanese, but the options are in the same place

Susie 1.jpg

2. Go to the 4th option down, and then you should see a box on the side with two checkboxes, one for English and one for Japanese. Click the English one.

Susie 2.jpg

3. Close susie.exe and restart it, the menu should now be in English.

To extract the files click the top button in the toolbar, and then navigate to a directory with graphic data (such as a .xp3 file) and open that. A box should open showing all the images as thumbnails. BGM files (eg, .OGG) may also be in there, depending on the file you opened.

It might not show any files, which means they're in a format Susie doesn't recognise. If this is the case, I know a possible solution for .xp3 files. Other types I havn't really looked at.

xp3tools

[spoiler=xp3tools]

Can be downloaded here: Insani xp3tools

As per the readme included, it is a command prompt xp3 extracter/repacker, though there are some issue with repacking.

The readme included pretty much explains everything, but incase it isn't so clear I'll give an example of what I'd type in command prompt

comments are between s

F:  
cd games 
cd xp3tools-20060708 
xp3-extract.exe F:\games\example.xp3 F:\games\example 

The same works for repacking, merely using xp3-repack.exe and switching round the .xp3 and folder locations.

Crass

[spoiler=Crass]

Download from: Crass Blog or TLWiki Tools - As you can see there are many more extracting tools but I havn't used them. Anybody interested is welcome to check them out.

Crass is much simpler to use than xp3tools and less likely to go wrong. After downloading, run CrageGUI.exe and then Show Adv. Then just tick the checkbox next to Source File or Source Path, then Dest. Path and select which files you want to extract and where to. Then press Execute and watch the text float by.

I've only used Crass for extracting .xp3 files that xp3tools couldn't, but TL Wiki says

Supports approx. 167 different VN engines
so I encourage some people to try it and tell me what happens. There's also something about it being able to repack archives, but again I havn't tested this.

Well, first guide I've ever written, so I hope it helps atleast some people out. xp3tools and Crass you're probably more likely to have heard of, and I only recently heard of susie (wasn't looking for it, really though). I managed to download a group of susie plugins off a yahoo.jp answers site, but there may be many more around.

Maybe I should have got somebody more proffesional to write something like this... Well if you feel I've done a crap job, feel free to pm me suggest improvements (or even write your own guide)

Edited by Avenger

Good contribution my friend but:

1- Never use imageshack, tinyurl, nor photobucket to host images xD

2- We are trying to help Ivan with the forum structure first, when is finished you can post more contributions but I would like to avoid creating yet offtopic thread, this will give more work to Ivan trying to classify and move to their respective section.

I absolutely mean no harm or bad intentions from what I just said, just my honest toughts.

Greetings.

Yeah, just thought I'd make it early while I still had it fresh in my mind. I'm not known for my memory (or am I?)

Any suggestings on what image hoster to use? I know imageshack etc are bad but I really don't know any other good ones. I guess a search will do, but I don't know whats good.

Good contribution my friend but:

1- Never use imageshack, tinyurl, nor photobucket to host images xD

Image hosts come and go. some delete the pics after some time as well. Best is to use image attachments and insert them into post.

2- We are trying to help Ivan with the forum structure first, when is finished you can post more contributions but I would like to avoid creating yet offtopic thread, this will give more work to Ivan trying to classify and move to their respective section.

I absolutely mean no harm or bad intentions from what I just said, just my honest toughts.

Greetings.

Nonono. Let the threads comming - they can always be moved to right subforums later. Threads like those can spark new ideas about viable sub-forum ideas, and let us gauge what people actually want to talk about.

Hmm strange. I keep trying to edit it to make it attached images, but I keep getting this error when previewing changes:

Fatal error: Unsupported operand types in /home/erogegam/public_html/editpost.php on line 437

Well, it seems to be able to save the changes just fine, but previewing doesn't seem to work when doing it on any of my posts, on any browser.

EDIT:Updated with a few new plugins to view jpeg, png etc, so it's way more useful.

EDIT2:Updated susie download link to contain all the plugins so you don't have to do it manually... not that anyone downloaded it in the first place...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...