Dōjin (同人 dōjin?), often romanized as doujin, is a general Japanese term for a group of people or friends who share an interest, activity, hobbies, or achievement.

In Japan the term is used to refer to amateur self-published works (Dōjinshi), including but not limited to manga, novels, fan guides, art collections, music and video games.

Doujin is not a genre, but a term for self-published works. Think of it as analogous to "indie" in the west.

So Touhou is a series of doujin shooting games, Umineko and Tsukihime are doujin visual novels, IOSYS and TAMUSIC produce doujin music CDs, Homunculus is a doujin hentai mangaka, etc.

Since it's just amateurs making things as a hobby with no financial backing other than their own pockets, it's unreasonable to expect a doujin circle to meet the production and sales of a major publisher. ZUN has to practically burn every game he sells to a CD himself, and that is why his works are not available in major retail outlets. This has nothing to do with any kind of lack in demand (on the contrary, physical copies of Touhou games are frequently sold out).

Edited by Melancholic
that's logic, if Touhou were that popular, it must be able to sell like crazy right,

I seriously think that Touhou has a large range of popularity.

Just try looking for something on japanese websites, like NicoNicoDougaDouga.

You don't even have to try, and you'll find something Touhou - related.

And I also know that fans from all over the world come to Comiket, since they are Touhou fans.

The main reason Touhou just doesn't sell that much, might just be that about 99% of Touhou players simply download the games.

Even at the release of Ten Desires, you could find download links, just two hours after sells started.

Edited by Maxar
I seriously think that Touhou has a large range of popularity.

Just try looking for something on japanese websites, like NicoNicoDougaDouga.

You don't even have to try, and you'll find something Touhou - related.

And I also know that fans from all over the world come to Comiket, since they are Touhou fans.

The main reason Touhou just doesn't sell that much, might just be that about 99% of Touhou players simply download the games.

Even at the release of Ten Desires, you could find download links, just two hours after sells started.

I guess I was using "# of sales" as a meter of popularity. Touhou is probably the bigger internet meme, but Dragon Quest has general acceptance by just about all Japanese people, even the non-tech-savvy ones.

• 1 month later...

yup^^

and of course the extra that you all have regarding Touhou..

i only get my comp recently (after many years of hard work)..

so i try to finid all the games/manga that i like and the 1st strikes in my mind is Touhou..

so i wonder if everyone can help me...