G-Senjou no Maou Discussion

Alright, so I've been playing this game. And I know several people think extremely highly of it. It has great reviews on the database, and I've been enjoying it so far.

Starting this up to try and talk spoiler-free about the game as I go, and my frustration about certain things. I'm having a hard time with the linear route progression thing. I've completed both Tsubaki ends, and have just gotten the Kanon Bad End. And decided to start all this before I go for the good end, then get back to what I feel is the main storyline with Haru.

I didn't notice it as much with the Tsubaki routes, but when the game moved into Kanon's stuff, it was a dramatic break from the storyline for me. It just became very very hard to think it all flowed together because it felt so obvious. I think adding to that feel of frustration is the fact that most of the comedic relief comes in the form of Usami. At least for me. Kanon had some of that feeling, but it just crumbled like pie crust after we entered into her route, and it all went down this dark road.

Darkness is a huge theme here, the characters have a great depth to them, but I wish there was a bit more positive characters. I suppose someone can say that's a more 'realistic' view on character types, but I wonder.

Kanon's bad end here felt very empty. It gave me a feeling of emotionless decline. I know it's a bad end and all, but it seemed like there was tons of build up into certain things that just get tossed out the window in the end. Compared to Tsubaki's bad end, it really just didn't hold up. Tsubaki's felt like it had a story, and wrapped up how things could have ended up. Kanon's just felt like it abandoned everything, then left everything undone and unfinished. I think the main point that I got from it was that it didn't feel like an ending at all.

Anyway, I'm going to update this with my thoughts after each ending. It should at least say something about how the game makes me feel strongly enough about it to post like this.

Feel free to add in your own thoughts about the game. Just be wary of spoilers.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never bothered with the other girls' endings. I followed through the Haru main storyline in my first playthrough and after seeing the painful epilogue, I never got into the mood to view the other endings. Even now the epilogue is still weighing my mood in playing it again.

Haru's route was indeed the best. I barely remember the other routes but I remember Haru's route very well. In my opinion, the routes get progressively better as you move from route to route because you get to see more of the storyline and it has a much bigger impact, which is sort of the reason why Usami's route is badass.

I think after only playing part way, I can see that everything will come down to Haru. But I'm a completionist. So I play the others as I go along.

3 hours or so since I posted this, I finished the Kanon 'good' ending. I suppose it was better than the bad ending, but it still left me with a feeling of not being finished. I can't help but compare it to the Tsubaki ends, that end up wrapping things up and talking about how their lives will be after the main events in the novel. Kanon doesn't seem to get the same level of completeness.

The incest is never explained or dealt with, and their future together... or not together, is left totally unanswered in both the good and bad ends. I suppose the whole Brother-Sister thing is the cause here, the developers wanting to use that as fuel for people who enjoy that kind of thing, but I really expected the main character to use what happened as a way to get away from the Yakuza and become Kanon's 'proper' husband or lover or whatever...

In the end when I should be feeling better and happy about things, this whole route seems weak to me. Compared to Haru, or even Tsubaki, Kanon just seems like she didn't get a fair chance, and that's the feelings I'm left with after finishing her routes. Again, I suppose that's a testimate to the depth of the character to make me feel so much, but honestly I feel a bit irritated that it was left so unfinished.

Oh well, time to go back and see what actually happens, and then get some info about the rich girl. Hopefully her route can at least hold up to Tsubaki's.

Well, i give 9/10 for that game, it kill my heart when he take up all the blame himself and push everyone way.(It kind like Code Geass).

Sometime it just very confuse who is Kyousuke and Maou. Well guess that means the writer manage to pull my noes around :o

Yeah, now that I look back at it... I take back what i said about the routes getting progressively better. I remember being pretty bored with Kanons route... the whole skating thing really didn't do much for me. Her good ending wasn't emotional at all. I think all the routes except Usami's route are more of a "what if route".

Hey now, I thought Kanon's good ending was inspiring! Well, the figure skating part, not the actual ending, which was a little too open-ended for my tastes. Tsubaki's was the clear winner for me, as far as the side heroine routes go. I thought that Mizuha's route was actually the weakest one, but it just makes Haru's route that much better.

Darkness is a huge theme here, the characters have a great depth to them, but I wish there was a bit more positive characters. I suppose someone can say that's a more 'realistic' view on character types, but I wonder.

The darkness theme is a big part of what makes this one so good. Watching Kyosuke's dark character evolve is really engrossing. Though, I was really depressed during the first few hours of the game because there was a lot of evil going around lol

Welp, just got the Mizuha bad end. For as short as that was, the CG's in that path were pretty good. Her H-scene was too short, but there are aspects of that sort of submissive play that I do enjoy. Also, we get to see some Ecchi Yuki, which wasn't bad at all. :)

Really though, the whole side story for this girl is again feeling very weak. I don't trust Yuki farther than I could throw her. At this immediate point, I expect she's totally using Mizuha to try and keep the main character away from Haru. Mizuha herself seems totally different from what she is in the 'main' storyline. Much like Kanon once you get into her route it's like she changes completely. For better or worse I suppose.

Before this started I was looking forward to Mizuha's route here, she had a strong tsundere feel, and as things went on a bit I felt like there might be more depth there. However, it didn't work out that way at all. We will see how the good end of her route goes, but it seems pretty flimsy and shallow at this point. A submissive tsundere just seems like an odd combo.

Also as a note, some spoiler stuff for the end of the Kanon route along the main storyline: I really got a kick out of the talk of using the fish blood on the pier. I vividly remember wondering how the 'we are having fish' comment came into play earlier, when Kanon said she smelled like the sea. To put a bad pun, I knew something was Fishy... but I just didn't know what. XD And it put a goofy grin on my face when that tidbit about the murder came up.

Edited by Haika

Three things I don't like about this one. 1) very linear. The side stories are... well side stories. But very short they and just felt off compared to the main route. 2) Again it's because it's linear but the total lack of choices. I really hate it when games don't have any or few choices. Even if the choices have no real impact on the story I still would like to have them. 3) Back with the side stories again, I hate when you enter them, the whole world changes when you enter one of them.

Example:

(Spoiler. Real big one. Ruins a big twist kind of spoiler.) Like when when you enter the Kanon route, the main guy stops being maou, right? But later in the main route the main guy isn't maou at all, but his brother! Then what the hell is his brother doing during Kanon's route!? It just really annoying how the whole world changes like that. (End of spoiler)

But those are pretty small. Hell the game itself is more or less about the main route with Haru then anything else. Which is also the best part about the game. It what makes the game so freaking awesome in my opinion. Then add on top an ending which is the only thing ever (Spoiler. Also kinda big.) to bring me to tears and honestly glad it turned out to be a another happy ending even though happy endings are a dime a dozen. Until the very end when he gets out, I was thinking he would be stuck there for life. Damn, my eyes a getting watery from remembering it. (End of Spoiler).

Basically put, play this game at some point before you die. You don't wanna miss this one.

Also I should note I skipped the first girl's route (tsubaki right?) main since I had no Idea I missed it and me being a newbie at VNs didn't save at any choices, so I went lazy and moved on. Plus I wasn't really interested in her much anyways.

Finished up Mizuha's good end just now. That felt very artificial and drawn out. The H-scenes were boring, and I just didn't feel like the story evolved much as it went on. I suppose it comes to a nice conclusion, or at least nicer than the Kanon routes. But I'm still disappointed with Mizuha as a whole, I expected something better from her.

Onward to the good stuff I suppose.

Damn, i'm jelly you get to experience Usami's route. Let us know how that goes :)

Of course I will. But still have quite a bit to go I assume. Still getting chapter 4 updates between scenes. I'm already highly amused at some of the things I said about Yuki. I still think she's pretty hot as a character, but like everyone in this game it seems her core has some deep darkness. Such a shame... but damn. Maou is badass.

eeeee. This is intense. I've played non-stop for several hours now since finishing up the Mizuha parts, but the game does NOT let up. I realize now that years ago I have indeed watched the anime for this game. I had a sense of Deja-vu in Tsubaki's route that I couldn't seem to shake, and as things got going here after the school kidnapping I had suspicions on the major spoiler of the game. I'm extremely pleased with how even with that the game kept me doubting my thoughts until the big reveal. I'm not done yet, things just got a little crazy with the events, and I'm left feeling a bit stunned. I knew his plan would be big, but this is pretty insane.

I think my biggest problem with things right now is that the game is so long, it seems very dramatic and well written to keep you on the edge the whole time. But a large part of me wants a break, That's why I paused things and came in here to type this post and check other threads here in the forum. In other games with shorter fully-seperate routes I don't feel as tired as I do now after reading this novel. I don't know how I will feel about things when it finally ends, but I can already see why so many people think so highly of this game. It's an experience that takes hold of you, and squeezes you tightly as it goes along.

As a side note: The Die-Hard comment was great. I wonder if that was actually in the game, or something the translators added.

Edited by Haika

Don't stop now! Now is the time; see the game through to the end in one shot! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after the storm passes lol. Dang, I wish I could relive reading Haru's route again. I guess I'll just have to wait ten years and then play it again.

Don't stop now! Now is the time; see the game through to the end in one shot! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after the storm passes lol. Dang, I wish I could relive reading Haru's route again. I guess I'll just have to wait ten years and then play it again.

I'm afraid I couldn't take it. I have indeed stopped for a bit. Watching some Penn and Teller 'fool us'. I enjoy good light entertainment as much as the heavy stuff from this game. But my stress levels are extremely high after playing it so much, so I need to back off before I break something. I don't think it takes anything away from the game, I will still finish it, probably later this evening, but I think it's better for my sanity to take a break like this. If for nothing else than to savor the end when I do get to it, instead of wearing myself out by rushing.

I'm afraid I couldn't take it. I have indeed stopped for a bit. Watching some Penn and Teller 'fool us'. I enjoy good light entertainment as much as the heavy stuff from this game. But my stress levels are extremely high after playing it so much, so I need to back off before I break something. I don't think it takes anything away from the game, I will still finish it, probably later this evening, but I think it's better for my sanity to take a break like this. If for nothing else than to savor the end when I do get to it, instead of wearing myself out by rushing.

That's fair enough, do what you have to do if you're fatigued lol. It's great when you can just sit down and absorb a story over a long time, but it would be no good if you were falling asleep near the end... I guess I misjudged how long you had already been playing haha

I misjudged the length of the game as well. I knew it was long, but even after a good night's rest, I'm 4 more hours invested and it's still going strong. Things SHOULD be winding down, but knowing this game, there's still a chance of me being wrong. Hopefully I'll finish it up today, but who knows.

In the meantime, I was going to play Kira Kira next, but part 6 doesn't want to download for some reason. -.- Adding some to my frustration at the very warm and humid weather I've been dealing with. This is July type weather in the 80F range, not stuff for mid march.

I misjudged the length of the game as well. I knew it was long, but even after a good night's rest, I'm 4 more hours invested and it's still going strong. Things SHOULD be winding down, but knowing this game, there's still a chance of me being wrong. Hopefully I'll finish it up today, but who knows.

In the meantime, I was going to play Kira Kira next, but part 6 doesn't want to download for some reason. -.- Adding some to my frustration at the very warm and humid weather I've been dealing with. This is July type weather in the 80F range, not stuff for mid march.

hahah yeah, its been abnormally warm here recently.. especially since its only March. I also remember misjudging how long the game was towards the end... i kept thinking... "oh thats the ending"... "oh wait nvm"... "ah yeah it ended right here"... "okay nvm something else is happening." When it finally ended, I wanted to play it longer... shows you how good of a VN it was.

... ...... ............. damn.

It's over... it's finally over. The Fin is on my screen now in the other window. That was rough... damn rough. My eyes are welling up, and I keep heaving strong sighs. When the Fin finally showed it's face I couldn't help but laugh almost as crazily as Maou. This game... This crazy, insane, steamroller of intensity. I just... whew.

They could have ended it at the credits, I was thinking things were all wrapped up. But I had a feeling that something was off. It seemed far too simple a death for Maou there at the end of the incident. And then the epilogue started. That's where it got really rough. The darkness and sadness at the way the story worked out really had me pissed off. However... the end. Damn that end. I've played several VN's now. I remember openly crying at the final end of Fate/Stay, after all the routes were completed, and you got the little end scene for true ending. That is... barely able to hold a candle to this now.

I'm still reeling, and I think I will be for a while now. The ending here feels complete. I have no regrets. Nothing bad I can say about what happened. The dark theme and the gritty reality works for this story, and it all came about into a fitting conclusion. Anything more than this and it probably would have spoiled the mess that my heart is in right now. Before this point, the only other good end I really liked was Tsubaki's. That's just a joke now. As gritty and dark as this final ending is. It feels so fucking real that I can hardly contain myself. Hence this overly long post. There's enough there to give you these amazing feelings, at the same time it's left open enough that you can imagine the personal outcome for the characters into the future however you like.

Emotion like this is hard to come by. I'll be savoring this for a while before I start up another VN. When I update my VNDB I'll be giving this game a 10. Along with Katawa Shoujo and Fate/Stay Night. I don't give 10's out lightly, I've done reviews of games I felt amazed with and still only given them an 8 or 9. Usually there is SOME flaw that I can pick about. At this point, I say there isn't one here.

My posts in this thread have talked about my feelings as I went along. Some of the endings were weaker than others. The sheer length of the novel and the intensity that made me step back to hold in my sanity are washed away as bad things. I believe all of this contributed to the story, and now after overcoming those obstacles, I'm left with a feeling of utter completion.

The music was great, it fit the mood, and hearing certain tracks alone would boost you into more emotional states than just playing the game would. The art was clean, crisp, and had no warping or messiness in the CG's. Even the H-scenes had enough variety that I enjoyed them. As I'm noticing in many of the really best VN's the sex is usually pretty vanilla, and I think it may have gotten weird if more fetishes had been brought into play, even if they are some of my favorite ones. The linear path of the different routes made for a frustrating gameplay, but it all came together in an amazing fashion. Seeing each of the other girls at the end made my heart ache like nearly nothing else.

Knowing what I do now, at the end of it all. This goes right into my #1 spot for recommendations. If you haven't played it yet. Bite down hard on your lip and take the plunge. The path can be rough at times, but the feelings at the end are exquisite.

I've tried my best not to spoil things here in this thread. People are welcome to continue discussing the game here, or give their own thoughts about the game as they play. I hope you all get to experience even some of the passion and emotion I felt brought out by this game.

Ending game spoilers -

I nearly lost it when you find out who the daughter was named after... they don't really say it but you pretty much know she named it after his dead sister. Man that hit me hard.

Overall, just a great VN. Got a 9/10 from me, despite a few shortcomings with the other characters.

Edited by desi

I agree 100%. Though I'm still a little rattled about the fact that I can find no anime. I felt so certain that was the reason the Tsubaki route gave me such feelings of Deja-Vu. I suppose I could have played the game well in the past and stopped before completing it, thinking Tsubaki's route was the proper one... But that seems such a flimsy excuse to the current way I play VN's.