Your Favorite Shonen Anime

Hello my friends. I was watching one piece earlier today and was wondering why is this the only shonen anime I can watch for 3 episodes straight?

There are some other shonen's i like (ex Blue Exorcist) But I sadly can't seem to think of any other good ones

I was never a big fan of shonen after I watched Blue Exorcist because they all became plain to me and they just weren't good anymore

I Know its a great genre but im just wondering if anyone has something new to bring!

My favorite shonen's are

One Piece (Great character's that grow on you and awesome concept)

Blue Exorcist (Great concept, Awesome world, Sweet Animation but lost interest at episode 20)

Always my favourites - Hunter X Hunter and YuYu Hakusho

and thinking out of the box opinion, Hikaru no Go was very addictive.

Edit- v HxH 2011 is just a compressed of the orig ver. watch the old HXH to get full experience.

Edited by RJei

Yeah, I'd have to jump on the One Piece bandwagon here. I really do enjoy the show quite a bit. Even as silly as it gets sometimes there's good solid lore behind things, and many of the characters have a decent depth to them.

I have been watching the new version of Hunter x Hunter, that seems fairly decent. Other Shonen I like/d quite a bit were: Fullmetal Alchemist, Fairy Tail(still watching though I'm behind), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi(waaay behind on the manga), and Shaman King, along with younger anime shows like Digimon, Pokemon, and Yugi-oh(These young shows I tend to like the original starts, they have become extremely boring and a joke in later seasons.).

I also quite liked Soul Eater and D-Gray Man, but both of those I far prefer the manga. As the anime versions went kaput at the end. I hold hope they will reboot them sometime like FMA, but I doubt it.

I even used to watch and enjoy both Naruto and Bleach back when they started, but those two have fallen far I think. Naruto's story at least has potential, but the filler.. oh god the filler.

Blue Exorcist (Great concept, Awesome world, Sweet Animation but lost interest at episode 20)

I liked this show too, and I can see where you're coming from with losing interest. I didn't really lose interest altogether, but it was a little less interesting towards the end. Did you know there's a movie coming out this winter?

I'm not too sure about what qualifies as shounen anime. I think I read something that said Bakuman was considered shounen. I only recently started watching it, but it's been pretty good so far.

EDIT: This list has shows like The World God Only Knows and Mirai Nikki on it, which I didn't think were shounen. Can somebody please tell me what qualifies as "shounen" anime?

Edited by Dan.
EDIT: This list has shows like The World God Only Knows and Mirai Nikki on it, which I didn't think were shounen. Can somebody please tell me what qualifies as "shounen" anime?

Shōnen (少年?), shonen, or shounen, is a Kanji word literally meaning few years and generally referring to a typical boy, from elementary school through grade school age. It is used in everyday conversation when referring to the period of youth, including in legal wording referencing youth, without regard to gender. Shōnen manga is a popular demographic of Japanese comics, the most popular genre of which is battle manga which is generally about action/fighting but often contains a sense of humor and strong growing friendship-bonds between the characters.

Yay for google and wikipedia. :)

Shōnen (少年?), shonen, or shounen, is a Kanji word literally meaning few years and generally referring to a typical boy, from elementary school through grade school age. It is used in everyday conversation when referring to the period of youth, including in legal wording referencing youth, without regard to gender. Shōnen manga is a popular demographic of Japanese comics, the most popular genre of which is battle manga which is generally about action/fighting but often contains a sense of humor and strong growing friendship-bonds between the characters.

Yay for google and wikipedia. :)

I know what the word means; what I wanted to know was what defined the genre. I had a general idea of shounen anime/manga as things like Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, etc. But then I read that Bakuman was considered shounen, and it's really nothing like those shows, so I looked for information about shounen anime. When I saw that list, there were a lot of things that seemed like they shouldn't be considered shounen. Mirai Nikki has plenty of graphic violence as well as nudity and rape. I thought shounen was like ages 10+ or something. Mirai Nikki definitely shouldn't be in that category. I guess that list must be bad, or else I am mistaken about the meaning of shounen.

im sure TWGOK is a SHOUNEN . it even has shounen tags in mangafox and batoto . TWGOK is in Weekly Shounen sunday right?

If this is true, then it's my favorite shounen anime too.

I believe I read somewhere that age 15 is the upper cut off for Shonen anime, above that it is supposed to head into Seinen. I think as a genre it's quite broad, and really it only talks about what ages the show or manga is targeted for. We can assume that typical shonen anime is the big battle anime like dragonball z, bleach, naruto and one piece, but there are several others that one might not think as Shonen that are, like Death Note, Mirai Nikki, Bakuman, and quite a bit of ecchi shows as well.

I believe I read somewhere that age 15 is the upper cut off for Shonen anime, above that it is supposed to head into Seinen. I think as a genre it's quite broad, and really it only talks about what ages the show or manga is targeted for. We can assume that typical shonen anime is the big battle anime like dragonball z, bleach, naruto and one piece, but there are several others that one might not think as Shonen that are, like Death Note, Mirai Nikki, Bakuman, and quite a bit of ecchi shows as well.

It's kind of surprising that Mirai Nikki is for 10-15 year olds since, like I said, it contains graphic violence, nudity, and rape.

Mirai Nikki orignally was published in Shonen Ace, so there's really no doubt that it was targeted for that age group.

Also in a random note, Apparently the live action adaptation premiered this weekend. *wanders off to go try and watch it*

Mirai Nikki orignally was published in Shonen Ace, so there's really no doubt that it was targeted for that age group.

Also in a random note, Apparently the live action adaptation premiered this weekend. *wanders off to go try and watch it*

I can't imagine that being anything but bad.

OMG dude I just finished watching Mirai Nikki last night and so far its pretty high on my list since it is the first slightly horror-ish anime I have watch (I tend to leave those anime's alone after watching Gantz) But Im not sure Mirai Nikki is a shonen? I never thought it fit into that genre.

OMG dude I just finished watching Mirai Nikki last night and so far its pretty high on my list since it is the first slightly horror-ish anime I have watch (I tend to leave those anime's alone after watching Gantz) But Im not sure Mirai Nikki is a shonen? I never thought it fit into that genre.

You see what I'm saying? It doesn't really fit into that category, but I guess that's what it's classified as. Now that I think about it, the main character was 14, wasn't he?

Another was a pretty good horror anime, and so was Shiki. Those are the only two I've seen, but if you're looking for some good horror anime, I'd recommend them both.

You see what I'm saying? It doesn't really fit into that category, but I guess that's what it's classified as. Now that I think about it, the main character was 14, wasn't he?

That's because it was published in Shounen Ace, which has a history of doing more ecchi and mature stuff. I'd guess they're aiming for an audience no younger than middle school, and certainly extending well past high school.

edit: Oh, someone already mentioned that is was published in Shounen Ace. Nevamind.:eek:

Edited by SaruDa