Sexy Sadness

By Cross

ss1.png

Let your tears come. Let them water your soul.

Eileen Mayhew

I’m currently playing Sharin no Kuni. In the first climax of the 2nd chapter Sachi gets a present that reminds her of her painful past. She gets angry and insults her cute Loli-roommate. Shortly after, Sachi deeply regrets her actions and starts to cry.

After dealing with this heavy Moe-impact I remembered other VNs with similar scenes. And I realized that I discovered one of the most successful tropes of VNs…

Crying girls are cute. Tears are like an invitation for hugs and kisses. With the right buildup, matching music and a passionate Seiyuu, those scenes usually are the emotional climax of a route. Weak girls unleash our inner white knight, challenging us to comfort and save them from their sadness (H-Scene afterwards optional, but welcomed).

It seems cheap and clichéd, but just imagine a cute girl with tears in her eyes. She will never be more beautiful than in this moment of weakness and fragility.

You could argue that this emotional superiority of the male part is like a sexist wish for passive, submissive girls and maybe that’s not entirely wrong, but at the same time protecting girls is like a reflex carved into our subconsciousness, passed down to us for hundreds of generations.

Tsunderes, Lolis, Imoutos, clumsiness, naivety… Moe has many forms, but the most appealing, the one with the biggest emotional impact is undoubtedly a weeping girl being comforted by a loving protagonist. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Cross’ Top Three of Crying Scenes

From the 32 Visual Novels I played until now many contained scenes with sad and crying girls, but some of them clearly stood out.

From this point onwards: SPOILERS GALORE

Honorable Mention: Al Azif (Deus Machina Demonbane)

During her H-Scene, after she climaxes, Al starts to pee uncontrollably. Being so embarrassed she loses her composure and begins to cry.

This is incredibly cute and endearing! Al is a very strong female character, battling Mechas and ancient gods, but still manages to surprise us with such a remarkable weakness. This is a great way to connect cool and strong characters with readers.

(If Al would be a real girl, I wouldn’t have a problem with her wetting my bed – it’s worth it!).

3. Ayu (Kanon)

ss2.png

Ayu is the main girl of Key’s “Kanon”. She often meets the protagonist in town, but goes to a different “school”. Near the end of her route it becomes clear that this school doesn’t exist and the girl he met every day is actually an astral projection of the real Ayu being in coma in a hospital.

When the two realize that, she starts to fade and all the emotional pressure breaks her barriers. Result: One of the most beautiful crying scenes. Uguu~…

2. Hanako (Katawa Shoujo)

ss3.png

Hanako is the most popular of the girls in “Katawa Shoujo” (believe me – the rest of the cast is just a bonus). Her route deals with the mistake of Hisao to treat Hanako like a victim, instead of a lover. She doesn’t want pity. Hanako wants him to love her on an equal basis, not as a savior rescuing the helpless maid.

Unfortunately Hanako is extremely timid and is too afraid to actually voice her concerns.

Later they sleep together, both misunderstanding each other and neither being emotionally prepared. This results in a dangerous turning point in their relationship.

The great showdown is in the park, where they honestly share their feeling and thoughts for the first time.

This whole mess is a bit too much for Hanako and she breaks down crying. Hisao comforts her, resulting in the good end.

This scene is awesome in the truest sense, despite being unvoiced! Without a Seiyuu we can only concentrate on text, music and the CG. However, the team managed to create a heartwarming emotional climax to a fascinating route.

Just look at the picture and let the Moe in your heart…

1. Sekai (School Days)

ss4.png

School Days is known for it’s complex animation and the over the top violent endings.

The scene that got me instead is rather short and not really important compared to the rest, but for me it was very deep and touching.

I’m talking about the ”Christmas Eve” ending. Before that, Makoto is given the choice between the two girls. Kotonaha waits for him in a hotel, while Sekai awaits him at the train station.

If you choose Kotonaha you’ll get some Ero, but before that is a short scene of Sekai standing at the cold train station, looking at the clock.

She mutters “goodbye” and then we see her crying desperately.

Try to put yourself in her position. You wait for the person you love, but after some hours you realize that he chose another girl. While the hours pass and the hope fades, Sekai understands that her love for Makoto is not requited. While he sleeps with Kotonaha, Sekai is completely alone with her broken heart.

A lonely, rejected girl weeping in despair on a dark and cold Christmas Eve.

This is tragic and beautiful at the same time. This powerful image managed to deeply impress me, despite being so short and not even voiced (only background music). For me, this intimate and sad view on Sekai was the best moment of School Days.

-----------------------------------

That’s it, folks. I’m looking forward to all the crying girls in VNs I will surely encounter (and comfort) in the future. If you have a good recommendation, feel free to post it.

Best wishes and manly tears from your

Cross

As for the School Days one, She got what she deserved tbf.. Was never a fan of her :3

Man, that's quite cold-hearted^^

It seems that large parts of the fandom hates either Sekai or Kotonaha, but I don't understand why.

It seems that large parts of the fandom hates either Sekai or Kotonaha, but I don't understand why.

I am fairly cold hearted when it comes to VN or Anime, most people are huge fans of Kanon whereas I can't stand it, Most people are huge fans of most things which I can't stand but meh, As for me I'm not a huge fan of either of them but I just genuinely, do not like Sekai.

But I'm all for the Crying Seduction thing, Shows you that they're secure enough to do it around you in a way ( As long as you aren't the reason for them crying )

Edited by Dubs

1. The reason I dislike Sekai is because before she even set Makoto and Katsura up she already knew that she liked Makoto but she sets them up anyway then tried to steal Makoto away from Katsura and then she has all her buddies gang up on Katsura. Also It was her fault that we got a nice boat ending if you know what I mean.

I laughted so hard when Setsuna went and had sex with Makoto, and then she called Sekai and made her listen to all the dirty things they were doing, from that moment Setsuna earned my very respect lol.

And Kotonoha, god, grab everything that makes a human being sad, mix it up and you have Kotonoha, she kind of irradiates sadness microwaves that makes me want to shoot myself in my left eye. The most WTF? part was when Makoto asked her why she got together with Taisuke and she said "because he said he loves me......*sad face*" . Taisuke practically made her his personal cum dumpster but she still didn't mind because he said he "loved her".

And don't make me start on Makoto.....

That's why I didn't manage to finish the game, the rage it induces in me is too much to bear.

2. Katawa Shoujo - Readed good things about it, it's in my must-play list, but now I'm busy with Borderlands.

Edited by Ryu
Crying girls are cute.

Well it always depends on the situation. I can't stand heroines who are crying the whole fuckin time. If they're crying because of a good reason then I'm totally fine with it, otherwise not. And I'm too lazy to bring up some good examples.

This thread make me remember the scene in G-Senjou no Maou where Usami Haru is crying. (T_ T) Ahh, such sadness.

The scene where she ends up stripping infront of the MC (can't remember his name)? Mm, that was a powerful one. Ah, such nice writing in that game.

And I agree with you OP. On a more general note, you can get some beautiful moments when a character eventually opens up and lets their emotions out. It can be anger or pure happiness aswell, not just sadness. But it does depend much on the voice actor in these cases, yes.

A character breaking down completely in sadness though... is probably the most powerful. A feeling of hopelessness, or the urge to comfort and "protect" the character, as you say, might happen. Mm, moments like these are memorable because they really reach you.

Well it always depends on the situation. I can't stand heroines who are crying the whole fuckin time. If they're crying because of a good reason then I'm totally fine with it, otherwise not. And I'm too lazy to bring up some good examples.

I'm going with this as well. Can't get interested in a char' who cries all day long. However it's interesting to see a strong willed character having a break in tears at one point.

True i "hate" sekai, i don't like her much, i always go on one of konohata's route, i can't help myself , i like her to much.

(...)Weak girls unleash our inner white knight, challenging us to comfort and save them from their sadness (...)

(...)It seems cheap and clichéd, but just imagine a cute girl with tears in her eyes. She will never be more beautiful than in this moment of weakness and fragility (...)

Hah! have you ever met a lady who is well aware of this and makes good use of it (to your detriment)? or even sub-consciously (but still to your detriment)? I have, and therefore find nothing sexy about weeping ladies and take every tear with a grain of salt, even on VN's, heh.

Hah! have you ever met a lady who is well aware of this and makes good use of it (to your detriment)? or even sub-consciously (but still to your detriment)? I have, and therefore find nothing sexy about weeping ladies and take every tear with a grain of salt, even on VN's, heh.

Of course real life is a completely different matter. A real crying girl (if she doesn't abuse it) has problems that shouldn't be used for one's entertainment.

That's why I love art. In fiction we get the good stuff without worrying for the crap that reality throws in our faces.