Visual Novels Translation Status [03/17/2013]

MangaGamer Staff Blog » Blog Archive » Website Renewal

MangaGamer talks about their website renewal.. mostly useless info, but the biggest thing I got out of it was

We’ll also be introducing a new DRM system to our games: Soft Denchi. For those unfamiliar with this, it’s currently one of the top DRM systems for digital sales in Japan. Initial use of Soft Denchi will require you to install the program on your computer, but afterwards our use of the DRM will continue to function as your standard One-Time Activation Code. Soft Denchi will run in the background, and though it can be used to do more, we have no intention of using its “battery charge” features at this time. The activation code works for the first machine you use it on, and you can visit your My Account page to generate up to five additional codes for use on different machines.

Sounds like a pretty intrusive DRM system. Sucks for the people that buy their products.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a pretty intrusive DRM system. Sucks for the people that buy their products.

[12:47 AM] Ivan: okay guys. i was on smoke break and figured it out

[12:47 AM] Ivan: this shit supports region locking

[12:47 AM] Ivan: currently it's used so that only people in japan can play uncracked one

[12:47 AM] Ivan: probably companies don't want legal shit with japanese people playing their uncensored games

Probably just a negotiation tool. DRM system is cracked, so it's mostly irrelevant for this site users ( first title might take bit longer in case there are some "consultations" needed with japanese scene who cracked it). Sucks that paying customers get shafted again tho - there's bound to be whole new slew of compatibility issues.

They say.

Given their track of "localizations" ( removing images from two h-scenes in nocturnal illusions, axing whole route in xchange, editing images of girl and adding her second bra in family project ) i can guess that fantranslated version will be superior.

MangaGamer Staff Blog » Blog Archive » Website Renewal

MangaGamer talks about their website renewal.. mostly useless info, but the biggest thing I got out of it was

Damn, this is quite a dilemma. I want to support them, but i dont want to install any shitty DRM programs.. I really dont understand why developers shit on their customers so much?

Its not like it wont be cracked in a few hours after release anyways...

Damn, this is quite a dilemma. I want to support them, but i dont want to install any shitty DRM programs.. I really dont understand why developers shit on their customers so much?

Its not like it wont be cracked in a few hours after release anyways...

Ivan's theory sounds about right. Certain publishers will not work with MG unless they have a pretty good DRM system (in this case, the change) And the region locking theory makes sense. There was that whole issue that was brought up with Ef the first tale and MG still having to censor HCGs, even for a localized release.

That "battery" feature is probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen though. If you go offline with the game, the battery drains and you have to recharge it by going back online. Hopefully that is never implemented, because that would only hurt the paying customers that bought the game.

Edited by desi
Ivan's theory sounds about right. Certain publishers will not work with MG unless they have a pretty good DRM system (in this case, the change) And the region locking theory makes sense. There was that whole issue that was brought up with Ef the first tale and MG still having to censor HCGs, even for a localized release.

That "battery" feature is probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen though. If you go offline with the game, the battery drains and you have to recharge it by going back online. Hopefully that is never implemented, because that would only hurt the paying customers that bought the game.

Companies really won't be satisfied until their DRM has someone standing behind you with a shotgun to your head just waiting for your connection to drop.

"Battery feature"... Ahahaha, now that sounds ridiculous.

Every single form of DRM is destined to be circumvented. Especially the stupidly intrusive ones. Next up, they'll be saying that the VN "requires server-side complex calculations to run properly" and fuck up even further. I feel bad for the ones who bought that new SimCity...

Fun.

Majikoi S/A update...

Was gonna post it!

It looks like they'll finish Sayaka's route before Tsubame's lol X)

Well, still good news. Having in mind the speed they are at right now, I foresee the new patch in... make it 2 weeks, maybe 3, having the optimistic mindset that being about finished will make them hurry it a bit.

What.... just.... what?

I don't even....

That is probably the most dumbest and customer killing thing I have ever heard of. I feel bad for anyone who actually bought a game that had that DRM on it.

And when I saw DRM with eroge, my first thought was,

"Wait.... we get to play eroge with other people? Well... this is going to be awkward."

Well, I guess we shall see where this heads. I guess some people will just sit back and laugh at this, like I am now.

Fucking DRMs, it feels like this is becoming a revolution now hahahaha.