Okay while looking a latest translation thread, I saw what people were saying about Jast releasing those seven new titles. However, in the back of my mind I get the feeling they only did that to keep fantranslators off it. I know may be mean by saying this but objectively looking at Jast's past announcements. They really don't come thru on alot of promises. I was just wondering if that is why they did this and if anyone felt the same? Hopefully they prove me wrong because some of these titles are highly anticipated ( Baldr Sky, 11eyes) but are they don't this just to spite us?

Side question: I thought I heard somewhere that a fan translation group was going to patch If my heart had wings to fix the game that they are obviously butchering. Is this true? All I want is a yes or no to this question, not a discussion.

No. Jast might take a long time to release stuff, but it costs money for them to license titles. They wouldn't license a title JUST to keep fan translators from working on it.

Regarding your side question, that is unknown at this point. There are threads on /jp/ where people are extracting and comparing the scripts, etc. You'll just have to wait and see what comes out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

JAST likes to be cheap. But they also like leverage. A fan translation in progress is leverage they can use in negotiations with developers. It shows 1) There's interest in the game, and 2) If the developer doesn't act quick, they'll lose much of the market for the game. It's like killing two birds with one stone. You get fan translators who will work for slave wages or nothing, and you get a better bargaining position (which could reduce licensing costs or make a license that wasn't otherwise possible, possible).

That said, working with fan translators has its disadvantages. They tend to be egotistical and unreliable; not really great traits in potential employees.

• 4 months later...

Yes, they cannot afford to license a title just to keep fantranslators off of it.

Also some fantranslators would not care and if they ever did it after a fantranslator had gone alot of the way i would just expect them to continue, i would hope they would anyway.

Fantranslation is just better just like fansubbing is, even if we do have to go with some things censored, sometimes it is better that way. the western civilization and their companies just butcher too much of all the stories and/or tear a bit of the story out and will never translate some.

i would love to have the truth restored in my western company translated eroge visual novels.

i think and if i am wrong i would love to be corrected but i think the only hentai game that was translated and released correctly by a western company was Princess Maker 2 and that was abandoned, i do not even know how it got out to us.

Edited by floral