Seems interesting, but it might be prudent to add some kind of measure by which to decide if the game is say 5/10 or 10/10

Experience is important but when rating something, especially for others to see and use, it's important to know WHY something is rated poorly or not.

You see a lot of review sites with a score system that just doesn't work, many users will blatantly rate a product 10/10 simply because the experience was great. I'd personally suggest simply giving the game a score point based on the quality/appearance of certain factors.

Something like this;

Overall 0/10

Experience 0/4

Style 0/2

Visual 0/2

Audio 0/2

Again, experience is still important, this is the bit where a product can be so much more than the sum of its parts and shouldn't be neglected, but based on experience alone I'd give Muv-Luv a 10/10 which simply isn't helpful. Many stories are also done in such a way that you'd need to plow through a bad start which redeems itself towards the end (Muv-Luv for one, and even things like Sengoku Rance require you to pierce a certain initial assessment to get to the juicy filling)

Maybe this is mostly a difference in opinion, but I find statistics a rather useless piece of information, they are so easily misinterpreted and abused without the all important context, which should not be neglected.

Another thing I need to point out is that quantity and quality are competitive concepts, this essentially means that a quality product will only work for a small quantity of people, and vice-versa. At least so much so that it is utterly impossible to say "many people have used it, so there must be something good about it" I've been on twitch chat long enough to know there is absolutely nothing good about many people doing the same thing, people tend to flock towards specific things.

Lastly, consider the differences in Genre's, there is a bit of a breach between people who read VN's for things like SSSS and people who want to read things like Clannad, having them use the same measure of scoring while pursuing a completely different set of interests is only going to dilute the final result. If anything this top list as you have phrased it now will indicate what the tastes and interests of the people that participated in creating it are, which can be nice, but I get the impression that isn't what you are striving for.

Apologies if I seem overly negative or dismissive, but I do like the sound of this idea and I'd like to see it done successfully, feel free to ignore my opinions if you disagree with them.

Alright I`ve started this so I will be the first one to give my visual novels ratings as well.

Like I`ve said before, only fully (or almost) finished titles:

Saya no Uta 10

Cross†Channel 9.7

Umineko no Naku Koro ni 9.7

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru 9.7

Muv-Luv Alternative 9.5

Steins;Gate 9.4

Fate/stay night 9.3

Rewrite 9.2

Katawa Shoujo 9

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo 8.9

Sengoku Rance Finished 0/0 8.8

Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star- 8.5

Planetarian ~Chiisana Hoshi no Yume~ 8.5

Ever17 -the out of infinity- 8.4

Corpse Party Blood Covered 8.3

Sekien no Inganock -What a Beautiful People- 8

Dangan Ronpa Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei 7.9

Osananajimi wa Daitouryou ~My girlfriend is the President.~ 7.7

Gadget Trial 7.6

G-senjou no Maou 7.6

Koihime † Musou ~Doki ☆ Otome Darake no Sangokushi Engi~ 7.3

Yume Miru Kusuri 7.3

Kira☆Kira 7.2

Remember11 -the age of infinity- 7.1

Chaos;Head 7

Kikokugai - The Cyber Slayer 6.9

Corpse Party Book of Shadows 6.8

Kara no Shoujo 6.7

Muv-Luv 6.5

Swan Song 6.4

Rance 2 - Hangyaku no Shoujotachi - 6.2

Dengeki Stryker 5.8

Symphonic Rain 5.7

Dra†KoI 5.6

Kira☆Kira Curtain Call 5.6

Yukizakura 5

A Profile 4.9

Utawarerumono 4.8

Boom, the big invention of the sexual century 4.3

Minna Daisuki Kozukuri Banchou 4.2

Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o 3.4

Amaranto 3.3

Rance - Hikari o Motomete - 3

Tears to Tiara 2.8

Reizoku no Majo April ~Injoku no Mahou Choukyou~ 1.9

Forgive me for not writing anything more about them, but there`s quite a lot of what I would have to write so I will pass for now ;p

I just can't help but wonder why you rate a game like G-senjou the same as Gadget trial, which despite not having a horrible story has terrible gameplay segments that detract more than they add. The problem with large lists is that when you score things, you do so in how they were in relation to others, the bigger the list the more that effect is going to be clustered rather than affecting the list as a whole. What were the conditions you used to rate the games? If it is purely how you rated your experience with them, that is also strongly affected by things like mood, expectations and whatever you felt like perusing at the time in relation to what you actually got. If I'm feeling like reading a H-novel and I read Muv-Luv alternative I'd skip through most of the story and get upset at a lack of H in it, no matter how good the story is I'd rate the lack of what I wanted more strongly than the actual product itself.

Another thing I should add is that the restriction that you finished the game can dilute the result, many people who dislike a VN won't finish it, so you will only get results from people who liked something, bumping up the final score significantly.

Clannad 10/10 - It's the best VN ever!

Dra†KoI 9/10 - Short, but awesome.

Corpse Party Blood Covered 7.5/10 - Played it on PSP before. Nice game.

Ever17 -the out of infinity- 6.5/10 - Okayish. Not that good, but not that bad either.

G-senjou no Maou 6/10 - The epilogue take itself too seriously. I want a more happy ending for Usami, not this piece of shit.

Rewrite 6/10 - Chihaya, Shizuru and Lucia's routes is a lot better than Moon and Terra. The ending of Moon is terrible and ruined the VN. And Terra wasn't that interesting to begin with and its ending is even worse. Rewrite is better off without them. Also, it's sooo not Key like. :/

Fate/stay night 5/10 - Too much info dump that hampered the pacing. Fate route sucks because I've seen the anime before. I should stopped in UBW. I don't like Heaven Feels at all.

Osananajimi wa Daitouryou ~My girlfriend is the President.~ 5/10 Osadai SUCKED.

Koihime † Musou ~Doki ☆ Otome Darake no Sangokushi Engi~ 4/10 - A stupid harem VN.

Muv-Luv Alternative 4/10 - It doesn't deserves the amount of recognition it gets. Kind of like how Naruto gains its popularity. But that is natural with all forms of entertainment. The most popular material is usually not the best. My main point is that it is over-hyped. People lessen their scrutiny of MLA when compared to other VN!

Kara no Shoujo 4/10 - For a mystery VN, it fails to deliver.

Chaos;Head 4/10 - Too gorish for me.

Steins;Gate 3/10 - Lots of crappy mindfuckery.

Saya no Uta 1/10 - Because loli sucks. That, and [spoiler=Saya no Uta] "Everyone died in the end."

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo 1/10 - I hate androphobic heroine like Natsumi to the point that I dropped it. Sharin was ruined for me so it deserves a 1. The setting is fucking hard to believe either.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru 1/10 - I've watched the anime beforehand, so the VN is terribly boring.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni 0.5/10 - Sama as Chiru, but enjoyment suffers more in here.

Cross†Channel 0.5/10 - It's a shitty eroge with pervert MC written by Romeo. Way too repetitive. Ending sucks balls. Avoid at all cost.

Utawarerumono - 0.5/10 Furry. Meh.

Clannad 10/10 - It's the best VN ever!

Dra†KoI 9/10 - Short, but awesome.

Corpse Party Blood Covered 7.5/10 - Played it on PSP before. Nice game.

Ever17 -the out of infinity- 6.5/10 - Okayish. Not that good, but not that bad either.

G-senjou no Maou 6/10 - The epilogue take itself too seriously. I want a more happy ending for Usami, not this piece of shit.

Rewrite 6/10 - Chihaya, Shizuru and Lucia's routes is a lot better than Moon and Terra. The ending of Moon is terrible and ruined the VN. And Terra wasn't that interesting to begin with and its ending is even worse. Rewrite is better off without them. Also, it's sooo not Key like. :/

Fate/stay night 5/10 - Too much info dump that hampered the pacing. Fate route sucks because I've seen the anime before. I should stopped in UBW. I don't like Heaven Feels at all.

Osananajimi wa Daitouryou ~My girlfriend is the President.~ 5/10 Osadai SUCKED.

Koihime † Musou ~Doki ☆ Otome Darake no Sangokushi Engi~ 4/10 - A stupid harem VN.

Muv-Luv Alternative 4/10 - It doesn't deserves the amount of recognition it gets. Kind of like how Naruto gains its popularity. But that is natural with all forms of entertainment. The most popular material is usually not the best. My main point is that it is over-hyped. People lessen their scrutiny of MLA when compared to other VN!

Kara no Shoujo 4/10 - For a mystery VN, it fails to deliver.

Chaos;Head 4/10 - Too gorish for me.

Steins;Gate 3/10 - Lots of crappy mindfuckery.

Saya no Uta 1/10 - Because loli sucks. That, and [spoiler=Saya no Uta] "Everyone died in the end."

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo 1/10 - I hate androphobic heroine like Natsumi to the point that I dropped it. Sharin was ruined for me so it deserves a 1. The setting is fucking hard to believe either.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru 1/10 - I've watched the anime beforehand, so the VN is terribly boring.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni 0.5/10 - Sama as Chiru, but enjoyment suffers more in here.

Cross†Channel 0.5/10 - It's a shitty eroge with pervert MC written by Romeo. Way too repetitive. Ending sucks balls. Avoid at all cost.

Utawarerumono - 0.5/10 Furry. Meh.

Either Gerard the lone wolf is a fucking sage or you're just trolling, you've said exactly the things he claimed stupid people would be saying (Natsumi being androphobic, lol) and the whole comparison of Muv-Luv alternative with naruto (Seen it claimed a lot but I have yet to see a single argument to support it, I wonder why....)

Hoshizora no Memoria has more points than Kara no Shoujo.

http://i45.tinypic.com/30afeqs.gif

this list is so fucked up. just close this thread.

ah.... this is where you rate VNs according to your own opinion...

please use common sense... anyone has their own tastes, respect them...

ok as switch sama , who is by the way ,the defender of the common fapper out here in the eroge community i , i shall give my royal decree concerning my favorite fap...ehem i mean Visual novel. i know beforehand that many purists consider my faction as a jump-on bandwagon. a temporary vessel in which newbies adhere to till they become enlightened into the real visula novels (yeah right as if clannad is real....no faps there, no, my jimmy dont remember fapping to sunohara nope).

anyway nuff defending the fapper's league

my first fav is desi-weiss 9

then EF- a fairy tale of fap 6

clannad 5 (no fap, not want)

MGQ 120 + 5

MGQ 2 -- 8

do you like horny yachis? 2

utawareru-ahodomo (utawarerumono -ahodomo no chinpo wo wasurerarenai!) --- 7.5

fate/stay for sex 3

those are my humble opinion , any comments will be welcome with a rocket-propelled-dildo made in china ofc.

Either Gerard the lone wolf is a fucking sage or you're just trolling, you've said exactly the things he claimed stupid people would be saying (Natsumi being androphobic, lol) and the whole comparison of Muv-Luv alternative with naruto (Seen it claimed a lot but I have yet to see a single argument to support it, I wonder why....)

My friend Centaur, stop looking at things too deeply.

On an unrelated note, IIRC, MGQ series is the top downloaded game in ED.

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf
If you`re not satisfied that you`re favourite vn is on low position, VOTE!

Is this a contest or poll now?

*look at the recent post and sigh* I don't know how a VN can still be called "weak", even when the problem lies on the reader and not the VN fault. As for me, if I ABSOLUTELY cannot evaluate the VN properly due to an outside interference and influence (such as being spoiled by anime/manga), I won't even give a score to it. I don't find it fair to the scrutinized subject. It will be an unfair vote, at least for me. It's like playing 999/Dangan Ronpa while knowing all the twist and answer beforehand and disappointed because the VN failed to surprise me, so I rate it a 3. Isn't that just stupid?

Also, I'm confused as to what purpose this list served. What does being a top VN in this list meant? Does it meant the VN is great, while being at the bottom means it is bad? And how is it going to serve this purpose when people votes is subjective and can be greatly influence with something totally unrelated? Doesn't this mean this list is a purely super duper subjective ranking accumulating everyone subjective votes and cannot be taken as a reliable factor to decide whether the VN is indeed bad/good or not for recommendation?

if for example 10 people will give VN B 2/10 rating and only 1 person will rate VN C 9/10 in this case B with 18 points will have higher place than C with 9 points,

Furthermore, the method is also unreliable. A mediocre VN (6.0 -7.0) can easily be a top VN with this method, even though the mediocre quality is very apparent. Are we going to say that the mediocre VN is what EG found to be the top VN (i.e. the best) above everything else?

That would also serve as a nice place to look for recommendations.

A recommendation based on this ranking is next to useless. Imagine people saw a 4 vote for [insert random title] and think that it sucks without knowing that the low votes is the voters fault himself. Doesn't such vote defeats the purposed?

A recommendation should be based on describing the good and bad points of a VN objectively, what genre it is, what kind of fetish it caters too, what they should expect from the story, what do you personally think is good/bad about the title (subjective opinion), and so on. Basically, a review!

Recommending VNs by number and rank that may be based and influenced with unnecessary element like anime isn't a good thing. That's like recommending people to play COD (overused example) because it has high score in almost every gaming site. But, if you listen to them describing why they think it's the best game ever, you feel like punching them straight on the face! :p

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf
you are new here? if you don't agree with others votes, you are bad guy, an idiot. this is how it works. Gerard the Lone Wolf is the best example of this rule. you don't like vns, he likes - you are an idiot. get used to it.

*Looks at a previous post*

Is you're head alright???

Oh no.. This can't be... Not here, NO!

He's From The Dark Side Of The DNS Network System!!

He has to be eliminated permanently by any means possible cos he Breaks the permissions and trolls whatever possible of the internet with the help of cyber-Brain-technology stuff and...

EDIT: meh....

Edited by Fluffy
you are new here? if you don't agree with others votes, you are bad guy, an idiot. this is how it works. Gerard the Lone Wolf is the best example of this rule. you don't like vns, he likes - you are an idiot. get used to it.

http://i.imgur.com/ExWmCJP.jpg

He has to be eliminated permanently by any means possible cos he Breaks the permissions and trolls whatever possible of the internet with the help of cyber-Brain-technology stuff and...

leave it to me...

he's on the "to-do" list if he never stops...