good visual novels with gameplay

what I mean by this is visual novels where you don't simply click to go to the next line of text or when there is a choice. (at least the ones I've played anyway) I just wanna know if there are good visual novel games like duel savior or monster girl quest.

Utawarerumono - It's a visual novel/SRPG hybrid by Leaf. The gameplay is really fun, even if it's not deep, and if you feel like you're up to some challenge you should play it in Hard Mode 1 or 2. The game has a light narrative, so the text never gets dense and good for some light reading. I'm not a fan of SRPG, but this one is possibly the best I've ever played. Score: 9.5/10
  • Sengoku Rance - It's a great game. Score: 8.5/10
  • Dangan Ronpa Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - It has a mini-game. This murder-mystery VN is also a good material for some light reading. Score: 7/10
  • Minna Daisuki Kozukuri Banchou - Basically, bumper car.

I've finished all four of them, so I can assure you that they're good.

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf
Phoenix wright

Tricky question, but I'll say that Phoenix Wright is definitely NOT a VN. The reason why VNDB keeps the series entry is simply because 1)fucking Capcom advertised it as VNs and a large part of the rest of the world does consider it as one 2) Yorhel wants to avoid drama from PW fans since it's a high-profile game.

Fortunately, I heard this series is on their next purge list, so whenever they finally decide to clean their database from the abundance of stupid entries, VNDB can finally kiss this game goodbye.

Not entirely sure where we draw the line between visual novel and video game with visual novel style text.

I'm not entirely sure either so I'll just pull VNDB guideline instead. :p For gameplay VN, it has to contain novel narrative consistently for telling its story. The storytelling needs to be uninterrupted (by gameplay sequences, not by choices or simple map movement) for a significant length and employing one of the known Visual Novel presentation methods such as ADV, NVL and their variations.

Usually, we could tell whether it's a VN or not when we play the game. (E.g. Corpse Party is a VN while To the Moon isn't.)

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf

Koisuru Oukoku aka: Beloved kingdom

You don't have to fight, grind or do anything, you just have to live in the town and do wathever you want until the game ends

sometimes i ended up staying till 3am playing this... actually i haven't seen all the endings...

*gets some snack and prepares for a good vn night*

Edited by Maoh