So far these these are some of the games I have gotten attached to a lot and really liked after playing them

G-Senjou no Maou

Rewrite

Grisaia

Sharin no Kuni

A Profile

Muv-Luv

Clannad

What are some other translated VNs like these? I'm trying to fine more that have a good story and don't have characters (mainly protagonists) that don't suck. Any suggestions would help a lot, thanks!

So far these these are some of the games I have gotten attached to a lot and really liked after playing them

G-Senjou no Maou

Rewrite

Grisaia

Sharin no Kuni

A Profile (y the fuck would you read this!! if you finished it and loved it to the end, you're my hero. XD)

Muv-Luv

Clannad

What are some other translated VNs like these? I'm trying to fine more that have a good story and don't have characters (mainly protagonists) that don't suck. Any suggestions would help a lot, thanks!

Fixed.

Now to your question: read these, no objections.

Steins;Gate

Hoshizora no Memoria

Da Capo

Da Capo 2

Chaos;Head

Dengeki Stryker

Umineko (all episodes [1-8])

Fate/Stay Night normally goes here but.. well..Let's just say you won't like the MC...

Snow Sakura

Kanon

there's more but those will do fine for now.

enjoy :3

G-Senjou no Maou

Rewrite

Grisaia

Sharin no Kuni

A Profile

What are some other translated VNs like these? I'm trying to fine more that have a good story and have characters (mainly protagonists) that don't suck.

AkabeiSoft2 titles are in there, good taste alert. And don't listen to anyone who hates A Profile. :p

Great VNs with good protagonists: Utawarerumono, 999, Dra+Koi, Kikokugai, Hanachirasu and The Second Reproduction (if you can handle Otome).

Also:

http://s.vndb.org/cv/75/8675.jpg

Saya no Uta - The best English translated Nitro+ titles so far (according to me, that is). I read this eroge alone at night, turned of all the lamps, wore a headphones, set the volumes high enough, and the result was quite thrilling and very atmospheric, so I suggest people do the same for good immersion. The story is romantically dark and you get to see the world from the eyes of one of the most fucked up protagonists, before they changed POV in the late second half of the VN. Most of the main characters underwent a good development throughout the story too, except Saya, but I guess most people overlook it because she's an adorable loli-waifu. Anyway, ZiZZ's melodies are fucking masterpiece, especially the way it gorgeously blends with the scenes dark tones, and the damn Fuminori is one of my favorite protagonists, so, Saya no Uta is great etc. and everyone should read it.

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf

Play Period. Protag doesn't suck, mostly a good cast of characters, your standard comedy/drama/romance with some fairly unique routes. Only thing that turns away a few people is the art, but they're weak individuals. The backgrounds are really nice and the art is pretty unique.

If F/SN is being mentioned, might as well plug in Tsukihime. Better protag, better main characters IMO. F/SN has the better story overall IMO, but Tsukihime for characters... main ones at least. Can't diss on Kotomine.

Most of the main characters underwent a good development throughout the story too, except Saya

Saya is what develop, while Fuminori goes through the same process but backward... Saya no Uta is the story of how the distance between them disappears, the involution of the man and the humanization of the monster.

I guess the sarcasm is missed.

It wasn't, but it's nothing to be sarcastic about. I read in the shoutbox that to you the love she shows at the end (stuff such as when she offers to let him go back to his old life/first bad end scene and so on) is the same as the one the shows at the beginng because she has to reproduce (instinct, isn't it? you call that love?), so discussing it's pointless, on that I agree.

So I don't remember what you're supposed to put in the spoiler box to make the spoilers not show up in the activity stream, so hopefully this sentence is long enough that it won't show the spoilers.

Pretty much all of Saya's "humanization" happens before the story. She starts as an inter-dimensional alien/monster thing with incredible learning ability. The learning ability is there to allow her to adapt to the dimension/universe/planet she ends up on so she can take it over. She learns about the dominant species of the planet so that she can take control of them. But when she is learning about humans, she learns about love and in her mind love becomes connected to reproduction in a way she does not understand. So she ends up thinking that love is needed for reproduction, but since she's inhuman, it should be impossible for her. Dr. Ougai says that she has become "irreversibly human" or something like that. I don't remember the exact words he used. But all of this happened before the game.

The only ways Saya changes during the game are: 1. she puts Fuminori's needs ahead of her own (when she offers to turn him back to normal, when she gets him his "pet"); 2. she learns a little more about love/people after she makes the neighbor see the world like Fuminori but that doesn't make him nice to her. You can see her love for Fuminori grow/change somewhat during the story, but only a little and apart from the above examples, there's not much else that you can see change. There's probably something in there when she gives birth, but she doesn't really change much there either.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

In the true end, Saya changed all the human into monsters like her with the help of fuminori's semens she has been storing inside her, that is how she was supposed to conquered the Earth and reproduced her species, which she referred to as the "the flowers that bloomed in the desert" or so if I remember correctly. I guess "love instinct" being part of her isn't that far off either.

So I don't remember what you're supposed to put in the spoiler box to make the spoilers not show up in the activity stream,

An extra [ will do.

I guess I might as well treat this thread as Saya no Uta thread for this post only.

I guess "love instinct" being part of her isn't that far off either.

[spoiler=Saya no Uta][ I don't remember about semen, but I did recalled that she having lots of sex has something to do with the event in the "true end". (I don't believe in Saya having a true end though, because every ending is quite good on its own) However, I do think that the "nature" to love, which is the word I used in SB is originally a part of her being, instead of the result of "humanization" by anyone. She is also a hunter that preyed on human and eat people (because that is also part of her nature), and her so-called "humanization" (if you could even called it that) only revolves around her relationship with Fuminori, which exist since from the beginning of the story, and can hardly be called as character development towards the end or anywhere in the story. (In the true end she just "poof" and everybody became a monster) While in the white room, she did gives Fuminori a choice between going back to be a normal human or stayed the way they are, and it is ultimately served as a turning point for Fuminori, and only has a "slight development" for her, if any. So I'm starting to wonder, what is this so-called character development and humanization of Saya? lol Even if there's a bit of development in her relationship between Fuminori's (which mostly due to Fuminori's actions), I can hardly contribute it to Saya's character development and says "she grew as a character". Hahaha... :p

Oh, is the character development and humanization moment is the part where she turned the poor girl into a monster like her as a present for Fuminori? O:

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf

I guess this is a suggestion thread, so here's my suggestions:

Ones that were already said that I agree with: Kanon, Saya no Uta, Period, Ever17

Since you liked Clannad (and Rewrite), Kanon is from the same company and also very good; Tomoyo After is the After Story of Tomoyo's route and very good even if Tomoyo wasn't your favorite character; Planetarian is a short kinetic novel (just a story, no choices); Little Busters is good, but I recommend you wait for the complete Ex or ME version translation patch because it adds a lot of content.

Some other stuff to look out for: Air is currently being translated and the Rewrite fandisc, Harvest Festa, is going to be translated by the guy who did the original game after his current project is finished. There's also a translation project for Kud Wafter (Little Busters spin-off), but that game doesn't look very good and the project is currently stalled.

If you play Period and you like it, Quartett! is another one from the same people that's also good, and it's short.

Swan Song is a very different game that has interesting characters and story, but it's very graphic, so consider yourself warned if you don't like that.

Osananajimi wa Daitouryou/My Girlfriend is the President is a very funny vn that you might want to read to lighten things up if some of these games get to be too heavy. It's not a great story or character vn and it has a couple flaws, but the comedy is very good as far as translated vns go.

Edited by Dan.
If F/SN is being mentioned, might as well plug in Tsukihime. Better protag, better main characters IMO. F/SN has the better story overall IMO, but Tsukihime for characters... main ones at least. Can't diss on Kotomine.

I knew there was a reason I kept you you kept me around!

[i hope this extra bracket works. When she changes the neighbor and later Yoh she talks about how taking all of Fuminori's semen has taught her about human DNA and how to change people using that information. Also in Ougai's journals he mentions when he gave her the rat semen and she did the same thing with rats. In the end it's kind of like Saya is pregnant. But she's like a flower in some ways, so she "blooms," and releases spores or something that cover surfaces in like rotting flesh or whatever Fuminori usually sees (but it looks like plants to Fuminori) and humans turn into how they looked to Fuminori. Basically Saya converts the whole world into what it looked like to Fuminori so that the world looks beautiful to Fuminori again. Like I said before, any "humanization" happens before the story begins. As far as what information the story gives, Saya doesn't know about love as an instinct, or by nature. She's a planet-conquering reproduction machine with a thirst for knowledge when she first arrives on Earth. She's biologically just supposed to learn about humans so she can transform and conquer them. But in learning about them she learns about love and trying to understand love is what makes her human. And she does change after she meets Fuminori for the first time. She's living in the hospital scaring people every night, probably because she's lonely and cannot interact with people in any other way. But after she meets Fuminori and they are able to talk normally she starts coming back to see him and then gradually changes as she begins to like him (but even this is before the beginning of the story, although it's showed somewhat in flashbacks).

[Like I said before, any "humanization" happens before the story begins. As far as what information the story gives, Saya doesn't know about love as an instinct, or by nature. She's a planet-conquering reproduction machine with a thirst for knowledge when she first arrives on Earth. She's biologically just supposed to learn about humans so she can transform and conquer them. But in learning about them she learns about love and trying to understand love is what makes her human. And she does change after she meets Fuminori for the first time. She's living in the hospital scaring people every night, probably because she's lonely and cannot interact with people in any other way. But after she meets Fuminori and they are able to talk normally she starts coming back to see him and then gradually changes as she begins to like him (but even this is before the beginning of the story, although it's showed somewhat in flashbacks).

Fair enough.