Visual Novels Translation Status [06/29/2014]

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I won't read machine translations because when it's that bad it totally breaks my immersion reading a NV. However if even a few people appreciate the effort then why complain in the long run? Even if you don't like it personally someone still put time and effort into doing it and them doing so has taken absolutely nothing away from you. I really don't understand the sense of entitlement some people have toward what it essentially a free product. My first thought when I see some folks going on about how terrible some things are is that they need to take a step back and rethink some of their priorities and values.

Now granted if it's a product that your expected to pay for that's a whole different thing. Edelweiss's original translation being a good example.

Personally I won't read machine translations because when it's that bad it totally breaks my immersion reading a NV. However if even a few people appreciate the effort then why complain in the long run? Even if you don't like it personally someone still put time and effort into doing it and them doing so has taken absolutely nothing away from you. I really don't understand the sense of entitlement some people have toward what it essentially a free product. My first thought when I see some folks going on about how terrible some things are is that they need to take a step back and rethink some of their priorities and values.

1. Gives less of a chance of actual translators that want to translate it if someone puts out machine translated garbage

2. English translators aren't perfect at all and certain times they don't convey the entire message of the visual novel in question, but with machine translations people judge an author's work without reading a decent translation for it.

It's cool if people want to use tools to read raw VN's with machine translations or whatever, that's definitely their choice. But when patches are released of pure machine translations is when there are problems. I mean, if it's some nukige then yeah, people are mostly like whatever.. but if it's something like White Album 2 where it seems like it's pretty close to machine level, then it really sucks.

Anyway,

Looks like Key is going to announce something Planetarian related once AX rolls around (possible localization?)

Still sticking with this prediction Shiei no Sona-Nyl -What a beautiful memories- as to what koestl is translating. We'll see in about 7 hours though.

However if even a few people appreciate the effort then why complain in the long run? Even if you don't like it personally someone still put time and effort into doing it and them doing so has taken absolutely nothing away from you.

Somehow this makes me wish FHA status stays "Full patch with unvalidated text released" forever. xD

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf

See, what we programmer really SHOULD be doing is making a flawless machine translator for games, and ignoring all of this stupid TL crap that takes 3+ years a game.

Note - I don't mean to diminish the work done by TLs - love you guys, I'm just saying if some programmer really wanted to make a lot of money this would be a great way to do it.

a little out of topic.. not sure if anyone already mentioned this before, because it's not on list...

my friend told me, apparently there's someone picked Fate/CCC

[in-Progress] Fate/Extra CCC Translation Project | GBAtemp.net -> The Independent Video Game Community: 3DS, Gateway 3DS, NDS and R4, Wii, PSP, PS4, Xbox One and all the gaming universe

That's awesome. Hope it works out for them, 'cause this is the Fate/Extra I wanna play for sure. Only heard that it's supposed to be straight up better than the first game, plus I like the design on some of the characters more in this one. Yea, there's a clown in the first game, but she's no Harley anyway - clearly.

The differences between playing with MT and with jap knowledge:

MT:

• Far less effort involved in setting up. A few hours compared to years, or at least months with assistance to get to a level sufficient for reading.
  • Built-in dictionary. You don't have to go looking up kanji that you don't understand.
  • Sometimes almost flawless translations

Jap:

• Far greater understanding of written jap.
  • Understanding of jokes, made-up words, etc
  • Can understand any text. Machine Translators have to hook text from the game, which is sometimes impossible or difficult, and can't translate jap on pictures
  • Sometimes MT mangles text, even if words and phrases are properly translated

More differences:

I can play Light VNs, Nitro+ and Liar-soft games (all text-heavy) with Machine Translation, and understand a large amount.

Killer is playing much lighter VNs, which are far less story based.

Eventually, killer will surpass me and be able to play raiL-soft games (extremely high-level story, sophisticated writing and walls-of-text) with ease, and a greater understanding of the game. But that may be years in the future.

I can play most games with MT at the same speed as I would play an already translated game. I do have a higher reading ability than most, even among VNs, but when you get used to it, it's fairly quick.

With the plethora of kanji, sometimes jap-readers have to look up words. It takes years and a lot of work to become knowledgeable enough to read, say, a raiL-soft game without assistance

MT is convenience, and requires far less effort. Jap knowledge is far greater understanding.

Investing in MT would lead to a lot more translations.

Now, there's one issue that always springs up there: Quality. Many of us have read MT'd works, such as... Flyable Heart. The translation is shit, for the most part. However, the first few minutes of the game had been edited, QC'd, etc. The rest hadn't even been proofread. You can barely tell that the first few minutes are Machine Translated. Editing a Machine Translation is fairly quick, and requires less jap knowledge. Machine Translation homecoming standard will take out the most time-consuming part of Translation - the translation. You then just need to edit and QC it, which anyone with good eng knowledge and slight jap knowledge can do. This would mean a LOT more translations.

Jap-knowledge translations... vary. Some are epic, to a level that a Machine Translation would never be able to compete (see - TakaJun on Majikoi). Others aren't so good (see - Ixrec). Some translators only have a very basic knowledge of English - even when it's their home language. Seriously, I've read fanfictions better than some of the translations (see - early MangaGamer works). Some of these translations would actually benefit from being MT'd and edited.

the first Grisaia does have an All-Ages port for the PSP and Vita,so it's not likely that Sekai Project will pull-off the same bullshit that Moenovel did to "If My Heart Had Wings" where they only had the 18+ version to work with and simply removed the 18+ content without making up for it.Grisaia does have a version where we get stuff that actually replaces the 18+ stuff,so it will be fine.The problem is:so far there are no plans to make All-Ages ports of the sequels,and if they ever do,I don't know how they would handle

Yuuji fucking his own sister AND HIS OWN MOM!!

.So,if the first game sells fine,will they bring the 18+ version of the sequels if those are the only ones avaliable?

Should be good

Nikola Tesla; lightning in one hand, bitch in the other, saving the day! #Gahkthun

Yeah, I hope they'll adapt Sakura's writing properly...

Also the next two localizations from MG can have my no, thank you!.

Edited by Chipp12
Higurashi on steam will have redrawn sprites. Might attract more people that way since people are picky about art.

Nice - I hadn't noticed that - I already have tthe full set using the patched ps2 art, but be interesting to see what they do (or VO's, too much to hope for, but still!). Eh, I get that it's a good story regardless of the art - hell, when I first read Tskuhime I cringed at the artstyle - but it kinda grows on you. I guess with the Hirugashi/Umeniko series it's jsut too far out there - kinda like the protag from Accel World - no matter how serious the series tries to be, the mood is destroyed with his overly cartoony appearnce~

Pretty awesome - Planetarian is coming to Steam Visual Art’s Kinect Novel, planetarian, Is Coming To Steam - Siliconera

Grisaia no Kajitsu will get an official release -

- The release will be All-Ages with new CG's, scenes, and an even more polished translation.

I'd rather have Meikyuu, but that's still seriously awesome! But, I have to wonder how much will change if it'll be all ages.... setting aside the hentai, there's a fair bit of physically grim scenes or flat-out violence they would have to water down (unless it's one of those "blood/death etc is fine, it's the boobs we must banish!" situations) -_-

Great to see that they picked up a good title from Liar-soft.

As for the Higurashi sprites... http://blog.mangagamer.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Higurashi_002.png

They're nice and high quality. Like everything about them, though the eyes look... different. Probably just a matter of getting used to them though. Also, it's more important to know what they look like during certain events anyway (you know exactly what I'm talking about if you've read or watched Higurashi). I'm really curious how they handled all the other sprites as well, like Rika's and Satoko's.

Overall, very good, and I'm sure more people on Steam will feel inclined to try it out with these sprites on there (just how it is).

Edited by Harlequin