Eroge Players With ADD

I'm an eroge player with ADD, and I was wondering if any of you are. I'd like to talk.

I've always been an avid reader, but I get distracted easily. When I'm reading a book (or doing anything else, for that matter), I easily go off on tangents in my mind. I'll read a sentence and it will remind me of something, or make me think, then that thought will lead me to another, and before I know it, it's been half an hour and I'm just staring at the page, or staring off into space. It was even worse when I was reading something in high school that I didn't want to read.

But I like books nonetheless, especially how they let you get into the mind of the main character. You can see their thoughts, their motivations, and understand why they do what they do. That's why I prefer light novels to anime. But I especially like to read the ones that have anime adaptations, because I get to read it and see it. And that's why visual novels are perfect for me. They have the novel aspect, where it reads like a book and you can put yourself into the position of the main character, and they have the visual aspect, where you can see the characters (and many have sound as well, which pulls you into the story even more). Also, letting you make the choices puts you into the main character's position even more, but even without that, they're still a more engrossing experience, so they hold my attention better.

Is there anyone else here with ADD that shares (or doesn't share) my opinion? Or anyone without ADD that feels the same way?

Well, I've put this thread on hold for a bit too long IMO. But, this was mostly because I wanted my words to be chosen wisely and accurately. ~sigh~, I guess I'll just wing it as I write.;) To be totally honest I didn't really understand much what a person with ADD means in the first place. I couldnt really comprehend what ADD actually signifies. I even wondered if I had it. So, I'm going to take a wild guess that this is what it means..Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) / ADD; ADHD; Childhood hyperkinesis

Well, .....:confused:

The articles nice...* whistles* :rolleyes:

-sigh-I dont know Dan.

I seriously dont know. How do you label yourself or someone with having an attention disorder...I'm pretty close to the description. I don't find it a bad thing to lose focus and think. It means you're actually thinking and that's something most people in society don't even do. It might sound immature of me to say this but "I DONT CARE"

I'm not saying this to spite you or offend you or anyone else for the matter. But, does it really matter if you go off tangents at times. I rather call it -A DEEP DIGESTION- damn that sounded wrong. It takes you longer to read a book but you still read it anyways. That takes a lot of motivation and interest for something.

+1 for effort

I've had my mind lose its original train of thought plenty of times, It's never been a downside to me...Maybe it has for you or someone else. But, its just how you see it as good, bad or something totally unrelated.

Ohh, and yeah I also read my novels, visual novels, (insert other reading materials...hehehehe:o) in nearly the same way..Hope this answers the question, I didn't quite understand the question..:p

@Slasherturtle:

I think understand what you're saying there. I wasn't writing this to complain or anything. I've never felt that it was a negative thing, it's just the way I am, and even though it takes me longer to read a book and I get distracted from things, I kind of like it, I get some good ideas when I'm just thinking, and I can entertain myself when there's nothing to do.

I didn't want to complain about ADD or anything; I was mostly just praising visual novels. I was also interested to see if there was anyone else who thought the same way as me. Thanks for replying.

Well I have ADHD instead but it's almost the same. Though I myself don't really fully understand ADHD well. Maybe since that's just how I always been. Though I know one effect of having ADHD is things that normally give people energy (like caffeine and energy drinks) will have the opposite effect on me. But I understand a little bit about getting distracted while reading except I'm a little different. I can easily get unfocused and end up reading a whole page without remembering most of what I read. Then I have to reread that part over again but this time telling my self to focus. It feels like if I don't actively tell myself in my head to focus or remember something, I probably won't. So I also tend to be a slow reader. Or atleast a little slower then average I think. Though I too like reading I really don't read books often. Just every now and again (and when I do I can read some HUGE books. I read The Stand and that's atleast 1000 page book. That took forever to read). But I really like VNs more then books since they are alot more interesting and I don't have to focus quite as much (maybe since I can get into them much easier).

Also thanks to Slasher's link, I know why I took an IQ test way back in 1st grade.

Though I know one effect of having ADHD is things that normally give people energy (like caffeine and energy drinks) will have the opposite effect on me.

This is the same with me. Also, when I was little Benadryl (which usually puts you to sleep) made me hyper, but now it doesn't anymore.

Though I too like reading I really don't read books often. Just every now and again (and when I do I can read some HUGE books. I read The Stand and that's atleast 1000 page book. That took forever to read).

I'm the same way. I don't read books as often since I got a laptop, but when I do, they're pretty long.

But I really like VNs more then books since they are alot more interesting and I don't have to focus quite as much (maybe since I can get into them much easier).

This is why I made this topic. VNs really hold my attention better and I wanted to see if other people were the same. I guess I was just wondering.

I feel like I've seen that sig before, with Fuko and Yuri, Do you use it somewhere else?

The only other place I use this one at is the RPG Maker VX Ace forums. Anyplace else it's stolen (not that I care) or your confusing it with something else. Cause I edited it together myself.

I've never been to that forum. It's probably someone else who likes fuko and yuri with a similar sig.

I never heard that I have ADD, but sometimes when I lose interest in an Anime or Visual Novel while watching or reading it,

I sometimes tend to start imagine a story which would keep me interested.

Then it is pretty much like you said, I kinda lose focus on what I've been doing, and notice after a while that I've been doing nothing but staring at the screen.

But yeah, it only happens, when I find what I am doing right now, boring.

Was it really ADD you had? damn, I haven't reached that topic yet...

I thought, finding myself spacing out while doing something else is normal. Well, I can focus myself when I want and had to...

well, The VNs and Eroge are distracting and interesting enough to keep our attention to it...so, all is fine

I never heard that I have ADD, but sometimes when I lose interest in an Anime or Visual Novel while watching or reading it,

I sometimes tend to start imagine a story which would keep me interested.

Then it is pretty much like you said, I kinda lose focus on what I've been doing, and notice after a while that I've been doing nothing but staring at the screen.

But yeah, it only happens, when I find what I am doing right now, boring.

I don't have ADD but when I get bored in Anime,Manga, VN's and Eroge's I start to imagine and create a story in my mind to keep me distracted.

When I was young I was diagnosed with ADHD. I constantly had to fight my school system to keep my head above water. It was mostly my mother pushing them to do more for me than I felt to do. To me it comes down to a serious infection of apathy. In my mind no matter what I do, I have to struggle and push myself to do it. 90% of games I play I don't finish. Vn's seem to be the exception, but there are several I've put as 'stalled' into my VNDB that suffer from the same apathy crush that I get for anime, books, games, and even work and my physical health.

That aside, you can't really dwell on such things. It may sound a little preachy or silly to say you have to accept yourself for what you are, and work to change things you can't live with. But the reality of the matter is that's what happens. That's how life is, good or bad. I've fought all my life to deal with whatever problems I cause for myself, or something that falls into my lap. ADD is something that is considered broad and widespread. I just recently caught myself watching an episode of Penn and Teller's Bullshit that revolved around people who firmly believe ADD is caused by vaccinations of all stupidity.

To me it's once again being a Label. Each person is different, and we all have issues and problems that we have to deal with. The question comes down to what you want to do, and how you feel about accomplishing those goals.

Anyway, I've rambled on here enough for one thread. So instead I shall link the amusing song that I always think of when I hear people talking about ADD.

Enjoy! *goes off to find that pigeon*

Edited by Haika