Kara no Shoujo - Discussion Thread

http://s.vndb.org/cv/14/1014.jpg

The year is 1956; a series of bizarre murders rocks the city of Tokyo. Tokisaka Reiji, an ex-cop turned private eye, joins the investigation at the behest of his friend Uozumi Kyozo, a detective in the MPD. At the same time, he takes on a missing persons' case at a private all-girls high school, as well as a mysterious request from a girl named Toko to find her true self. As Reiji frantically struggles to crack the case, he learns that the murders bear an uncanny resemblance to a case in which his own fiancé was murdered six years ago. But try as he might, the body count just keeps rising...

I would like to hear your opinion about this visual novel. For those who still didn't read it, I definitely recommend it if you like detective stories, with gore. For me, it was really amusing and I can't wait for the sequel that has yet to be announced.

I started this one, and I liked it, but it was so long that I lost interest after like 2 or 3 endings. But I lose interest easily due to my ADD, so that probably isn't the general consensus.

I started this one, and I liked it, but it was so long that I lost interest after like 2 or 3 endings. But I lose interest easily due to my ADD, so that probably isn't the general consensus.

I've finished it just once. I don't really like to play VNs multiply times, just because it'll mess up my previous experience, so I usually just read the other possible endings after I finish.

I've finished it just once. I don't really like to play VNs multiply times, just because it'll mess up my previous experience, so I usually just read the other possible endings after I finish.

This one has endings that kind of go in order, like you get to a point and you either branch off at one ending or you continue with the story, which has more branching off points for other endings later. Another one like that is G-Senjou no Maou, which is a great game.

How many endings I get depends on the game. If I like all the girls in it, I go for all the endings. If I only like some, or just one, I only go for the ones I like.

There are some games where you have to get all the endings to unlock other ends or characters. But if it's a game I like, I'll do that anyway, and if it's one I don;t like, then I don't care about the unlockable stuff.

This game was one where you have to unlock the true ending, but it was just too long for me to do that.

• 1 month later...
How many endings I get depends on the game. If I like all the girls in it, I go for all the endings. If I only like some, or just one, I only go for the ones I like.

Finally someone who has the same strategy like me. As for KnS, I'm currently playing it and the bgm is damn enjoyable; same goes for art and voices. Well I obviously can't say anything about the story but jesus christ, the game's complex as fuck. And this means, walktrough ftw.

It's the best eroge I've played so far.

Imo the art is marvelous, the OST is excellent, the writing is valid (and blessed with a good translation from MangaGamer) and the story is great.

Usually mistery with detective etc... bore me and I don't like h-scenes -when I feel like they taint the story, I don't mind them so much otherwise- but I can say that I really enjoyed it.

I'd like to say something about the h-scenes in KnS: they are for the most part unnecessary, probably a natural thing when the main character is apathetic as Reiji and the writer clearly shows no intentions of losing time developing canonical relations only to justify them, but at times even when clichè they feel a bit... rushed? sudden? (here I'm referring to Orihime, the -usually catholic- ojou that under the pressure of her position ends up becoming a prostitute is a classical figure and so is the "I know, I disgust you"-"It isn't true"-"Then show me that it isn't true" that leads to the sex scene).

It was a bit particular under this point of view, but I got quite used shortly after.

I'd like to play other games from Innocent Grey, especially Cartagra.

Edited by Uzuki Sepia
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

So question; would you recommend this game to someone who cannot stand the typical passive protagonist? I remember picking this up a long time ago and stopped right at the start where the protagonist got the case and went something like: "I wanted to ask her more, but she was already walking away" At that time I basically just dropped it going: "If you want to ask her more, and you absolutely should as you don't know half the things she should have told you for you to take the case, fucking stop her from walking away and ask the damn questions RIGHT. NOW." But of course our typical passive protagonist just watches... making me follow up: "See here's how it's done, I don't want to put up with this weak-ass bullshit so I'm not going to, starting RIGHT. NOW. *uninstall game*"

I suppose my question essentially becomes; Does this type of thing occur more often in the story or is it just a one-time thing that I should just get over and continue?

So question; would you recommend this game to someone who cannot stand the typical passive protagonist? I remember picking this up a long time ago and stopped right at the start where the protagonist got the case and went something like: "I wanted to ask her more, but she was already walking away" At that time I basically just dropped it going: "If you want to ask her more, and you absolutely should as you don't know half the things she should have told you for you to take the case, fucking stop her from walking away and ask the damn questions RIGHT. NOW." But of course our typical passive protagonist just watches... making me follow up: "See here's how it's done, I don't want to put up with this weak-ass bullshit so I'm not going to, starting RIGHT. NOW. *uninstall game*"

I suppose my question essentially becomes; Does this type of thing occur more often in the story or is it just a one-time thing that I should just get over and continue?

Vndb -> Proactive Protagonist -> 2.6

But it should be said that he's quite apathetic, and has his good reasons to be so; that said, if you don't want to put up with this I'd suggest avoiding it. It's plenty of retarded main characters out there that nonetheless could suit you tastes better.

I wonder if he is good enough to enter my "favorite protagonist" list... only Morita Kenichi, Sasaki Fuminori, Naoe Yamato, and Hakuoro managed to do it so far. The only way to find out is to read it, but I'm still waiting for Cartagra to be my first InnoGrey VN, so... go go MG!!

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf
Vndb -> Proactive Protagonist -> 2.6

But it should be said that he's quite apathetic, and has his good reasons to be so; that said, if you don't want to put up with this I'd suggest avoiding it. It's plenty of retarded main characters out there that nonetheless could suit you tastes better.

See this is the part where I'm having difficulty; apathetic/proactive -> pick one

The original reason for not continuing with the story was his obvious apathy, yet he was supposedly of a profession that requires you to be proactive. The dis-junction between who he was and what he did was already established early on, they couldn't even finish one chapter without glaringly contradicting the supposed apathy of the main character yet they cling to it as if to make the character interesting that way.

Thanks for the answers, I'll steer clear

Also I'm not quite sure I'm interpreting that last bit

It's plenty of retarded main characters out there that nonetheless could suit you tastes better.
correctly, it seems you're suggesting I'd like reading about retarded main characters? I fail to understand what even gave you that idea.
See this is the part where I'm having difficulty; apathetic/proactive -> pick one

The original reason for not continuing with the story was his obvious apathy, yet he was supposedly of a profession that requires you to be proactive. The dis-junction between who he was and what he did was already established early on, they couldn't even finish one chapter without glaringly contradicting the supposed apathy of the main character yet they cling to it as if to make the character interesting that way.

Thanks for the answers, I'll steer clear

Also I'm not quite sure I'm interpreting that last bit correctly, it seems you're suggesting I'd like reading about retarded main characters? I fail to understand what even gave you that idea.

He's quite apathetic; it true that this manifest itself a lot more in the relationships with others than during his job (he's proactive, but at times you may think that he could/should have done something more) but obviously a japanese has to be stakhanovite and so, even if he's apathetic, blatantly slacking off isn't an option asd

Jokes aside, let's say that technically his apathy consists in him doing what he has to but lacking the emotional commitment that your usual main character would have.

The reason for which he is interested in the serial murder cases is valid and made clear during the story, so you won't find incoherence in the fact that he actively works to solve them (I don't remember how much the game let you know about it while playing the first route, I'm writing supposing that you know just a few things). I'd add that a person can be apathetic without being abulic, although usually it's like that, depends.

And leave alone the retarded bit, it's mostly a rant. Mostly because there are actually a few characters that behave as such that are very good like Okabe, S;G main, that basically is a 18 yo guy with chuunibyou... he's even my favourite -male- character among all the vns I read, so I don't really mean harm.

Edited by Uzuki Sepia

[Anyone remember the exact reason why they had to amputate all of Touko's limbs? All I remember is that they said she got an infection and to reduce the amount of blood she needed they removed everything she didn't need to survive. Why do they need to reduce the amount of blood she needs just from getting infected???

I just can't help but believe that we would have gotten a Good End for Touko if she wasn't unlucky enough to get hit by a truck and then get infected >_>

Edited by Whitetragedy

[Anyone remember the exact reason why they had to amputate all of Touko's limbs? All I remember is that they said she got an infection and to reduce the amount of blood she needed they removed everything she didn't need to survive. Why do they need to reduce the amount of blood she needs just from getting infected???

I just can't help but believe that we would have gotten a Good End for Touko if she wasn't unlucky enough to get hit by a truck and then get infected >_>

I played it in 2011, so not exactly yesterday, but

In the car/truck accident she suffered a severe loss of blood and was operated (take into account that she was anemic and there was some complication about the blood she needed); the wounds got infected and there wasn't enough blood of her type for the transfusion she needed and so, to avoid her death, they decided to cut off the limbs.

If you cut off the limbs there's "less body" and so you need less blood for the transfusion, something like that.

And something else

So many spoilers, so little tags

[i won't get my hopes up. Heck, she's almost guaranteed to be dead.

1. She needs to lose her limbs to fit into the baby carriage + the scene on the train with the giant black egg

2. She dies in the routes where she was taken from the hospital for a long time

3. If she were alive it would undermine the ending with the blue bird painting

The situation and the story until that point make you think that she's going to die, but "The Blue Bird of Happiness" painting suggest otherwise. It's an honest 50/50, be a little more positive!

Though... yep, she lost her limbs.

While I was talking about KnS with a friend of mine he told me that probably they talk about the same bird in the first Umineko too.

The situation and the story until that point make you think that she's going to die, but "The Blue Bird of Happiness" painting suggest otherwise. It's an honest 50/50, be a little more positive!

Though... yep, she lost her limbs.

[Guess we need to play Kara no Shoujo 2 to find out if she's dead of alive.

How long do you guys think it'll take MG to translate Kara no Shoujo 2? I know it's not going to be soon because they already have a lot on their plate.

Edited by Whitetragedy

There are many (temporary) ways to reduce the amount of blood you need without permanently amputating limbs... feels like forced drama all over again

There's like a billion things you don't know about that situation, you can't say that. There's infos about her blood and stuff spammed all over the game that thinking back were probably foreshadowing this situation, so it's safe to say that you can't think of it in "normal" terms.

Then again I'm no medic and that was presented as an exceptional measure so I don't know (and keep in mind that in KnS is 1956, not 2013 so maybe there's stuff that nowadays is doable that wasn't at the time).

Though, I'm interested... what solutions were you thinking of?

Edited by Uzuki Sepia