I would suggest Edelweiss. It's kinda light and not that long. These are also good choices for the start - Katawa Shoujo, Sagara-sanchi no Etsuraku Life, Hinatabokko. Also any of the translated games from Fuguriya if you don't mind yuri.

Note that all of the games I suggested are just "ok" so you shouldn't expect something amazing, they should serve as a good introduction, though. If you're feeling brave, you could also go for Kanon. Just ignore the "bad art" and you'll probably like it. There are some heavy parts, but other then that it's the usual school slice of life stuff.

Edited by killerinsidee
Note that all of the games I suggested are just "ok" so you shouldn't expect something amazing, they should serve as a good introduction, though.

I would also recommend to start with something decent because reading an amazing game right at the beginning of your visual novel journey is not as great as it may sounds.

Clannad/Aoishiro

^These only in case you use walkthroughs. Both of them have routes that need to be played in certain order, and without walkthrough it requires A LOT of time and patience to figure them out.

^

Picking Clannad or Aoishiro as your first VNs would not be the best idea. If you've never played a VN before, you'll get lost in all of those choices and endings.

Like I did with Clannad, haha. I'll have to replay it if the translation quality ever gets worked out.

For a first visual novel, I would highly recommend Katawa Shoujo as it's a good VN while not being intense or difficult to play (there is little sexual content, and it can actually be turned off, if you prefer). Additionally, as it was written for English audiences, a lot of the writing feels tight (bar one route in particular...) and I loved the soundtrack and the watercolour art. Finally, it's free and easy to download from their website. Hooray for simplicity!

Edited by Chocolatemilkgod
Osadai (My Girlfriend is the President)

A light hearted comedy eroge, not too long and the character is likeable

btw why no one mentioned this VN?

i think that vn would be enjoyed more once your a bit into the world of vn/eroge, and not as a first vn

my first vn was fate btw, then i play katawa

Hiya

I'm new to Eroges and Vns, and was wondering what are some good ones for newbies like me to start with? Preferably no rape and english translations.

What genre are you in to? Action, Adventure, Romance, Comedy, Slice or Life, or Mystery??

http://vndb.org/v1343 Is one of the best things out there if not anything made by Lilith is awesome!

Also stay away from VNs with bad art, if they have bad art the story and characters are just as bad, and talking from experience here.

ex: of bad art http://s.vndb.org/sf/14/814.jpg

Also welcome:) VNs are awesome and hope you also enjoy them

Edited by Stàr