Is Clannad worth the time? I was considering downloading it because frankly I have nothing else to go through (stupid Fortune Arterial taking it's sweet ass time) and a love story is my usual time sink.

Issue is I usually avoid more popular ones, mostly because I feel like I will just get immediately disappointed by it...Plus, last Key one I played was Rewrite and my heart still hasn't quite recovered from Shizuru.

Absolutely. The only major con I can think of with Clannad is not even the story itself, but the translation. It's very iffy at some parts.. other than that, if you're in the mood for love stories, it'd be difficult to find a better VN for that. After Story is absolutely amazing... give it a shot. Oh, and the music.. you'll probably love the music and get lost on youtube for a few hours looking for the tracks.

As desi pointed out, the translation quality is a bit bad in some parts, which is disappointing. If you're willing to wait a while, you could wait for the guys over at doki to churn something out, but I have no idea how long it would take for a really solid version to come out. Out of the Key novels I've played, the order of enjoyment has gone:

LB>Rewrite>Clannad>Kanon (although Kanon and Clannad are very close in my books...the only reason kanon is lower is because Sayuri didn't get her own route x_x)

I should have enjoyed it more if not for some real life stuff screwing with my schedule, and the fact it was my first visual novel (not such a great idea...). After all is said and done, though, it is a very fun visual novel and, if you like other key stuff, you'll almost certainty like this. So as long as you have time, definitely recommended (although, personally I'd recommend little busters more...dat final route).

Edited by Chocolatemilkgod

I'm willing to stomach some pretty bad translation. I willingly sat through Flyable Heart...In which case, half the time I couldn't tell if it was bad translation or the way the character talked.

Thanks for the help, I'll check out Little Busters too while I'm at it. Would love any other recommendations, I'm a sucker for a good romance.

Edited by Kortevai

One of the greatest tearjerkers...

[spoiler=Kinda...]Well...at least for the last part of the game...

I mean...Come on...Who doesn't shed manly tears when knowing the history and what happen after that to the key character in the game...

Also...If you're trying to find a good romance VNs...

Why not try some minor titles like Snow Sakura, Dra+Koi and Soul Link...

Absolutely. The only major con I can think of with Clannad is not even the story itself, but the translation. It's very iffy at some parts.. other than that, if you're in the mood for love stories, it'd be difficult to find a better VN for that. After Story is absolutely amazing... give it a shot. Oh, and the music.. you'll probably love the music and get lost on youtube for a few hours looking for the tracks.

This. Clannad is the way to go.

I second this, well.. partially...Why?

I suggest you go for "ef- the first tale" (the English localization)

it is also the first of 2 parts. I wouldn't recommend going for "fairy tale of the two", because

the SECOND part "latter tale" is not all about romance. Some of its content can be quite

disturbing, so go for "first tale" if you want pure romance and jump to "fairy tale of the two"

once you're ready to take the dive into "latter tale" which features some serious drama.

anyway, that's my opinion.

any version of "ef" is a good choice, your call.

Edited by Helvetica Standard

Well, I can't say I fully recommend ef - a fairy tale of the two mainly because I never finished it due to all the drama feeling rather... pointless, while not bad in a romantic sense I personally prefer strong-willed characters. I simply could not keep reading after that one route where

the dude basically gives up on his girl because he is told he should give up, the asshole didn't even do his fucking research on the condition of the girl and I basically ragequit right there, didn't help that the route before that one was basically all about some girl so weakminded and dependant she couldn't get over her crush being with someone else

The kind of story I'd like and recommend are stories where: there's a problem -> work towards a solution. Rather than: there's a problem, let's talk about our feelings and be miserable about it.

Probably why I figured LB was so much better than clannad

While the ending felt a bit disney-magic I really appreciated the fact that all the stories were about dealing with problems rather than just accepting them or running away, which seems to happen a lot in clannad

Edited by censuur

to do spoiler tags, do [spoiler=spoilersubject] spoiler text inside [./spoiler] without the period

EDIT: looks like you fixed it

but.. [spoiler=EF] you should probably continue.. there is actually more to the story in the next route.

The best routes are the ones after those, IMO.

Edited by desi
Yea was already fixing it, this is what happens when you're messing with html all day and then come read a forum before going to sleep.

lol, no problem. I made an edit as well, so take a gander if you want.

The whole game is mainly about Yuuko and Yuu anyway so be sure to survive until you reached their chapter.

Yea agreed, definitely the best part of the story. So even if you don't like the first chapters of the VN, it's worth it to continue.

Edited by Harlequin
Oh, I know that feeling. Definitely one of the hardest hitting endings for me in any VN. I think only Steins;Gate was worse.

It is what lead me to play a purely sex/comedy eroge just to get my poor heart to calm down from that damn ending.

Yea agreed, definitely the best part of the story. So even if you don't like the first chapters of the VN, it's worth it to continue.

Well, the kind of vibes I got from the "main plot" there was that both characters essentially bitched out, I simply cannot stand a story or even a situation where the characters don't even bother trying to work towards a resolution and just accept their fate and be miserable about it. I had looked up some minor spoilers on the following routes to see if they were worth reading. I'm the kind of reader that doesn't care much about things being spoiled, a good story isn't carried by some revelation at the ending, a good story is good throughout and it's more important how they get to the end than what the end really is. That said, what I had read about the last routes wasn't all-together appealing, but if I've misinterpreted something there I'm more than ready to be corrected.