why do SHIT games get translated

i'm sure that at one point in time you thought to your self why would somebody spend years translating this crap. There are so many better eroge's out there i mean why translate a 10 year old game thats under 100 mb's when you can translate a vn that has just been released and has better sound,cg artwork,characters,story. I mean

why i just don't understand why. It doesn't have to be new it just has to be well liked/rated i mean just look at vndb anything over 7.5 translate it anything under 7.5 FUCK IT because it isn't like were going to run out of good vn's anytime soon.

I understand that we should be just grateful that somebody out there is spending years of there life translating a vn for us it's just that i don't understand why you would pick a low rated nothing spacial same cliché story line kind of vn when there are so many better ones out.

so anyway can you help me understand WHY or give me your own opinions on the matter. or just have a litlle bit of a complain about some of the crapy translated games

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you can translate a vn that has just been released and has better sound,cg artwork,characters,story.

The majority of newly released VNs are usually moege. Fan-translators doesn't like to translate moege because it's boring. Sitting in front of the computer translating lines after lines of dull, crappy romantic dialogues and conversations can be pretty tedious. You will begin to question yourself whether it's worth it or not, and then lose motivation in less than two weeks. lol

Also, good VNs like RuiTomo, Itsusora, KKK, etc. are very hard to translate, so there's that too.

or just have a litlle bit of a complain about some of the crapy translated games

Most of the crappy VNs this year are from official Nukige localization by MangaGamer, so there's not a lot to complain about.

Holy hell man you're still alive?

Basically: The majority of the world is full of morons.

Moronic translators translate games for morons.

As someone who's taken to reading untranslated VNs with a machine translator, I can definitely tell you that there are far better VNs out there than the majority of the ones translated.

What you consider to be shit isn't necessarily shit to everyone else.

well yes that is true with some of them but what about games like Pretty Soldier Wars A.D. 2048 this game has a vndb ranking of 3.9 OUT OF TEN this game is just horrible in every single way the only good thing about the game was the credits because than you know it's finally over so now what you have to do is delete it of your hdd take the hdd out of the pc smash it with a hammer and throw it into the fiery deeps of hell and than see a psychiatrist to try and forget about the horrors i mean really did any body even find this game to be ok yet alone good

p.s i probably should of just stopped playing the game instead of finishing it

As far as I know, Pretty Soldier Wars A.D. 2048 was released by Peach Princess, a subsidiary of Jast, and we all know Jast sucks.

your right i just looked it up on vndb but that just raises more questions after all jast receives money for game sales so why translate a shitty game that wont sell. I guess the artwork makes it look like a really good game after all thats why i downloaded it but the artwork is trap made by Satan himself for anybody reading this post dont EVER PLAY OR DOWNLOAD Pretty Soldier Wars A.D. 2048 or else your very mind will end up in the fiery pits of hell

ythat just raises more questions after all jast receives money for game sales so why translate a shitty game that wont sell.

I don't know. If you look at Peach Princess lineups, aside from Yume Miru Kusuri, you can see they are all crappy titles. I guess Ave have the answer though.

Basically: The majority of the world is full of morons.

Moronic translators translate games for morons.

I don't know. If you look at Peach Princess lineups, aside from Yume Miru Kusuri, you can see they are all crappy titles. I guess Ave have the answer though.

OMG YOUR RIGHT about 70% of shitty games comes from peach princess lets be glad peach princess only releases a game once every blue moon but do these games sell? i know there are a lot of morons in the world but still there has to be a limit.

Only like 4 of there games are any good

Of course they're going to sell... think of the amount of people round the world that play eroge.. the interests of Peach Princess and what their games are for are appreciated by some and not others so a 3.9 on VNDB doesn't count for every single eroge players vote.. only those that use VNDB.

Sometimes I think they translate whatever they can succeed in getting the licensing for. Many Japanese producers are very skittish about allowing their stuff in the west because of things like the rapelay incident. Luckily fan translators are not bound by the stipulation of operating legally.

Guest loppez

it is beacuse most translators are novices (not everyone but most) and they don't know japanese good enough to translate good games. people who actually know japanese don't care about nerds and they don't want to waste time just because you want to read some game. brutall but this is how it looks.

let me show you some kind of circle:

1. I read some good translated visual novel.

2. ok i want to learn japanese to read more.

3. years pass and you grow up, you don't care about childish games anymore. you are too old to read anime romance etc.

4. you don't want to waste your time for free.

5. people like you create stupid thread and ask about stupid shit.

Edited by loppez
people like you create stupid thread and ask about stupid shit.

Don't judge everyone here by your stupid and quite pathetic standards.

He's asking a genuine question, one that I myself also was mind boggled over after reading Ryu's weekly VN update thread sometime last year for the first time.. asking myself why some of those games were being translated instead of ones that I wanted to be translated.. it's natural human instinct that they'll rate something they want themselves over something everyone else wants.

Edited by Dubs
Guest loppez

are you bitching about my words "stupid shit"?

wtf. we got question "why do people translate lame games and why they don't translate good games just because i want to read it? they do it for free ofc". do you expect me to call it cool? this IS stupid shit.

and what about rest of my post. just look at translators. some of them need help in translations, some drop projects (most of them actually). do you have professionals there? look at moogy profile. what do you can find thre? "Give me money and I will translate these things. Otherwise I might not translate them."

good translators will never wast a lot of time on transtations for free. deal with.

He's asking a genuine question,

not. it is not a genuine question. you need to think only a little to know the answer, so do you really need to create thread? well. nvm then.

read my posts. there is what you look for.

Edited by loppez
are you bitching about my words "stupid shit"?

wtf. we got question "why do people translate lame games and why they don't translate good games just because i want to read it? they do it for free ofc". do you expect me to call it cool? this IS stupid shit.

and what about rest of my post. just look at translators. some of them need help in translations, some drop projects (most of them actually). do you have professionals there? look at moogy profile. what do you can find thre? "Give me money and I will translate these things. Otherwise I might not translate them."

good translators will never wast a lot of time on transtations for free. deal with.

So by your logic, Translators pick "shit" projects in order for people to be like 'Omg y r u translating that shit VN?!? here take my moneyz and this random VN title i want translated and translate it for me!! you now owe me becuz i paid u 2 do dis 4 me now do it!'

it is beacuse most translators are novices (not everyone but most) and they don't know japanese good enough to translate good games. people who actually know japanese don't care about nerds and they don't want to waste time just because you want to read some game. brutall but this is how it looks.

wait so do good games just have more kanji so it's harder to translate or are you saying that translators who aren't that great cant translate a good game into a good game due to inaccurate translations and also is your circle of life meant to be how people like me are created?

p.s typed this before reading your second post

Edited by erogeking
Guest loppez
So by your logic, Translators pick "shit" projects in order for people to be like 'Omg y r u translating that shit VN?!? here take my moneyz and this random VN title i want translated and translate it for me!! you now owe me becuz i paid u 2 do dis 4 me now do it!'

no. wtf is wrong with you.

good games need good translators. good translators will not translate for free. some of them do that but the result is almost always the same. dropped project.

wait so do good games just have more kanji so it's harder to translate or are you saying that translators who aren't that great cant translate a good game into a good game due to inaccurate translations and also is your circle of life meant to be how people like me are created?

It's like in English. Good fiction is more poetic, uses more turns of phrase, and is just generally harder to read because it's more descriptive and uses more words that the average person doesn't know. Lots of synonyms, or if you're in Japanese, lots more Kanji. Also various poetic devices like alliteration, double meanings, metaphors, plays on words, and other things that are hard to translate.

loppez you know nothing about this stuff , go back to your mum's basement and let the grown ups deal with this. you're coming off as the biggest idiotic moron ever in this forum , but hey at least its laughable , you should join a circus , clowns are hard to come by.

one day when you get your head out of your constipated ass , maybe then you'll know that not everyone who knows japanese is a money grubbing whore.

one day when you get your head out of your constipated ass , maybe then you'll know that not everyone who knows japanese is a money grubbing whore.

There's nothing wrong with making money, but not everyone who's Japanese/english bilingual translates for a living, and everybody needs a hobby.