If you continue to do something rude after being asked to stop, are you a jack ass?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. If you continue to do something rude after being asked to stop, are you a jack ass?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm Pasa, and yes, I'm a jack ass and proud of it.

I had to read this multiple time to comprehend wtf was stated... still don't know wtf it means.

"If some one politely asks (you) to stop doing something (you) find offensive and rude multiple times and you don't stop, does that make you a jack ass?"

if you found it offensive why post it your self... I have to say, you're either messing with that person or yes, you're being a jackass.(In your terms)

While it's true that:

1. It's polite to stop doing something that you know someone finds offensive.

2. It's not polite to do that thing for the sake of offending that person

3. It's not always reasonable to be polite in this way (ie, if the thing is helpful or necessary to the person)

It's also, most importantly, true that:

4. Being polite means shit

5. Finding something offensive means shit.

See:

fGelg.jpg

If someone politely asks you to stop doing something he/she finds offensive and rude multiple times and you don't stop, does that make you a jack ass?

Just put yourself into the shoes of that person. If you tell somebody to stop calling you an idiot (for example) but nevertheless that somebody continues to call you like that, what would you think of him/her, especially if you asked in a very polite way? I'm not sure what's your definition of a jack ass but surely you wouldn't think very high of that person.

Well if I look at the third poll option then this could be also seen as a thread against Pasa because he called you something over and over again in the shoutbox. But I'm never there so fuck it.

Edited by OneManArmy

OMA, I don't know if he is referring him self on offensive or someone else's, but for this to make any sense he him self has to explain this part before any of this can make any sense.

(Referring to that edit you made on his sentence)

OMA, I don't know if he is referring him self on offensive or someone else's, but for this to make any sense he him self has to explain this part before any of this can make any sense.

(Referring to that edit you made on his sentence)

Sure but that's the only meaningful sentence you can form if you consider he used "and you don't stop" at the end.

Stephen Fry pic

He's wrong though. Why has it no meaning if I feel offended by people who behave like or are Nazis? Why has it no meaning if I feel offended by my neighbour who throws his cigarette stubs in front of my house? Why has it no meaning if I feel offended by a family member who never does anything for the family but demands a lot from it? Why has it no meaning if I feel offended by ... I'll stop here. That guy has absolutely no idea how society works. Of course you don't have the right to stop a Nazi in his believes BUT you're free to feel offended by it. He simply says you don't have the right to feel offended because being offended has no purpose. Maybe it has no value in his life but then he's nothing more than a naive and selfish guy who doesn't care about the people around him because even if they feel offended by his actions he won't give a shit. And so those people won't give a shit about him either and in the end, in his "feeling offended is stupid" world, nobody will give a shit about people in general. Sorry but I don't even want to imagine such a world.

Edited by OneManArmy

If someone finds that you find offensive something that he/she does and you ask him/her to stop then most of the time they will keep doing it just to force a reaction out of you and by creating this poll... boom reaction.

Social norms and etiquette as you would have it do not apply on the internet, being "polite" in most cases is just a way to get what you want, or someone to do something you want, but that is beside the point here.

If someone is being a prick towards you, respond in kind, or just move on, i doubt this is the first time you have encountered this situation.

Or he could be using it to pester/annoy them, which is what it seems like he was doing in this case. There is multiple ways "and you don't stop" could be meant.

Pasa, I'm just doing this to kill some time seeing as how the SB is dead right now, and I have nothing to work on.

social norms and etiquette as you would have it do not apply on the internet, being "polite" in most cases is just a way to get what you want, or someone to do something you want, but that is beside the point here.

If someone is being a prick towards you, respond in kind, or just move on, i doubt this is the first time you have encountered this situation.

The only thing I "want" is a return of the curtsey I've shown EVERYONE on this forum for as long as I can remember. I Have NEVER been deliberately rude for the purpose of bothering somebody else and if I have ever accidentally offended someone, I quickly apologize as soon as it is pointed out to me.

I'm sorry you feel being polite does not apply to the internet. Unlike privileges, which must be earned, not being deliberately insulted is a fundamental right to all people that can only be lost by deliberately insulting others who have not already lost this right. The fact that I'm in front of a computer does not change the fact I am a person. As I am a person and have not deliberately insulted anyone who still possesses their right to not be deliberately insulted, I still posses the right to not be deliberately insulted.

See:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11794[/ATTACH]

(I do not know why the picture is not displaying. It does when I hit "Preview" before actually posting. For those who do not like clicking on links in forums, the picture in question can be found on the sixth post of page one of this thread.)

While it's true that:

1. Every person has a right to an opinion (on a side note: an opinion derived from objective fact, not mass-media sensationalism, bigotry, etc.)

2. A second person finding the first person's opinion offensive does not negate the first person's right to have their opinion.

3. No body has the right to deliberately express their opinion in the hearing of those who find that opinion offensive for the sole purpose of offending those people and no other reason.

4. Calling somebody an insulting name for the sole purpose of being insulting after being (POLITELY) asked to stop (MULTIPLE TIMES) has nothing to do with having an opinion so Stephan Fry's quote (the speaker in the picture for those who don't realize who I'm talking about) has nothing to do with this. Your argument is specious.

Edited by Outpost Omega J
Alfadios, rahrah, as you are not Pasa, you shouldn't be selecting that option.

Well who says I`m not Pasa,can you be entirely sure of that fact?...

Kidding aside I took that option cause I`m more or less neutral in this poll and as there was no neutral option,I`ll take the Pasa is a Jackass option^^

As I am a person and have not deliberately insulted anyone who still possesses their right to not be deliberately insulted, I still posses the right to not be deliberately insulted.

That's....not how the world works. At all. I mean...is this supposed to make someone who has offended you back off and say "SORRY I DIDN'T KNOW THAT YOU HAVE RIGHTS!"? Yeah no they'd laugh at you and go back to what they were doing in spades.

also context pls

Edited by ChexGuy

While it's true that:

1. Every person has a right to an opinion (on a side note: an opinion derived from objective fact, not mass-media sensationalism, bigotry, etc.)

2. A second person finding the first person's opinion offensive does not negate the first person's right to have their opinion.

3. No body has the right to deliberately express their opinion in the hearing of those who find that opinion offensive for the sole purpose of offending those people and no other reason.

4. Calling somebody an insulting name for the sole purpose of being insulting after being (POLITELY) asked to stop (MULTIPLE TIMES) has nothing to do with having an opinion so Stephan Fry's quote (the speaker in the picture for those who don't realize who I'm talking about) has nothing to do with this. Your argument is specious.

Good thing rights don't actually exist then (except as a social construct)

1. True, and part in brackets False. There is no difference between the two groups. Nothing is objective fact. Besides, human beings are inherently biased towards certain groups, and inherently a social being who forms thoughts based on experiences - including that of "mass-media sensationalism" - how can something which is biologically part of us not be a "right"?

Even if that was true, you are being bigoted against those who think they have the right to an opinion derived from, as you so elegently put it, "mass-media sensationalism, bigotry, etc". By your own definition, your opinion is False

2. True

3. Right to Free Speech (or Right to Freedom of Speech) is a thing in several countries. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion. Otherwise, you should never have started this thread - which is just a thinly disguised opinion designed to discredit (and offend) a certain forum member

4. It is your opinion that you're being insulted only for that sake. You are offended by them insulting you. That's fine. What if they're offended by you being offended by their actions, and are polite enough to not bring it up? Should you now stop being offended?

What if I'm offended that there is pointless bickering on a forum which is supposed to be about eroge, and related matters? Should you both now stop?

At any rate, I can render all of this irrelevant by telling you about two functions of the forums: 1. /ignore in shoutbox, so you don't see their shouts, and 2. The Ignore List (see settings, or click on someone's name and select option to add) which hides their posts and PMs

I'm trying not to take a side, merely pointing out flaws in your argument - by that I mean that they, in my opinion, are flaws, which is really all anyone can talk about.

This is quite fun. We should start a daily thread where people can just complain about things.