Hoshizora no Memoria problems

They "forgot" to mention putting resurrection of killed dolphins into the game script directly.

That is, graph_vis folder with all its trolling content is recreated if it's manually deleted. Unfortunately, that's another thing that my simple "untroll" archive can't deal with. For now, manually delete the folder and create (empty or not) file with the same name ("graph_vis") in its place. This will block the game from recreating this folder and filling it with dolphins again. There should be no problems (theoretically) because the game won't find any external dolphins and will just show original images from graph_vis.bin file.

Apparently, Win7 x64 users can have a copy of graph_vis folder in C:\Users\\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Crossnet\Memoria. If you're one of them, replace it with a file of the same name as described above.

Edit: here's the translators' comment on this matter.

Updated the first post with this info. Thanks again.

Are you gonna make a v3 of the Untroll Patch ?

Edit: External dolphins xD

Edited by killerinsidee
  • Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Insem is being unhelpful and deleting my comments on the blog, I suppose I'll ask here.

I, and at least one other person, have come across an unhandled exception error when trying to run MemoriaEN.exe. It reads "Unhandled exception occurred at 0x2044F13B. Check the error log for details."

I've tried reinstalling and re-patching several times, to no avail. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Since Insem is being unhelpful and deleting my comments on the blog, I suppose I'll ask here.

I, and at least one other person, have come across an unhandled exception error when trying to run MemoriaEN.exe. It reads "Unhandled exception occurred at 0x2044F13B. Check the error log for details."

I've tried reinstalling and re-patching several times, to no avail. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Does the error also occur when running the original exe(not the EN one) ?

Does the error also occur when running the original exe(not the EN one) ?

No, that's the weird thing. The original runs just fine, albeit I have to be in Japanese region due to Favorite's region-lock.

Since I was the former editor, I can still run previous versions of MemoriaEN.exe with older scripts as well, so I suspect that something's off with the current patch/executable or something, and not the actual game...

No, that's the weird thing. The original runs just fine, albeit I have to be in Japanese region due to Favorite's region-lock.

Since I was the former editor, I can still run previous versions of MemoriaEN.exe with older scripts as well, so I suspect that something's off with the current patch/executable or something, and not the actual game...

I suggest that you try to isolate the issue, so far you know that the game if fine. So the error is in the English patch, as you stated. Try getting the Untroll Patch v2 from the first post. Maybe the installer from the Staircase patch is broken for you.

Stupid question, but did you install the game update 1.1 before applying the english patch ?

I suggest that you try to isolate the issue, so far you know that the game if fine. So the error is in the English patch, as you stated. Try getting the Untroll Patch v2 from the first post. Maybe the installer from the Staircase patch is broken for you.

Stupid question, but did you install the game update 1.1 before applying the english patch ?

Already applied both untroll patches. Hasn't changed anything.

And yes, I've installed everything correctly. To clarify, I've done the exact same installation process on three different laptops and gotten the game to run perfectly fine, but the exception error remains on my laptop (and one other person on the Staircase blog), even if I try to copy the confirmed working executable to my laptop, or even the entire game folder. The problem is limited to my executable, on my laptop.

Already applied both untroll patches. Hasn't changed anything.

And yes, I've installed everything correctly. To clarify, I've done the exact same installation process on three different laptops and gotten the game to run perfectly fine, but the exception error remains on my laptop (and one other person on the Staircase blog), even if I try to copy the confirmed working executable to my laptop, or even the entire game folder. The problem is limited to my executable, on my laptop.

Well, if you have the old scrips and other files that work for you. Why not just replace the old scripts with the new ones and leave the old EN.exe be ?

Edit: Go to the shoutbox now, takes too long to type here.

Edited by killerinsidee
Well, if you have the old scrips and other files that work for you. Why not just replace the old scripts with the new ones and leave the old EN.exe be ?

Edit: Go to the shoutbox now, takes too long to type here.

... Hmm. Crap. That didn't work, but I just realized. I haven't been able to use MemoriaEN.exe lately, even when I was still editing the scripts. Long story, but basically, I had to use the original executable to play the game. However, said executable DID have the scripts in question to be in English.

I'm not sure what Insem did, but at some point, I wasn't able to use MemoriaEN.exe anymore and had to resort to using the regular Memoria.exe instead, in order to play through routes as he released them. But with this final patch, nothing is in English for the original executable, save for the menus, I guess.

... I dunno anymore. I really just need ***'s and Mare's route to work on my laptop...

And I'll have to pass on the shoutbox, as it is quite late here and I haven't had any rest.

... Hmm. Crap. That didn't work, but I just realized. I haven't been able to use MemoriaEN.exe lately, even when I was still editing the scripts. Long story, but basically, I had to use the original executable to play the game. However, said executable DID have the scripts in question to be in English.

I'm not sure what Insem did, but at some point, I wasn't able to use MemoriaEN.exe anymore and had to resort to using the regular Memoria.exe instead, in order to play through routes as he released them. But with this final patch, nothing is in English for the original executable, save for the menus, I guess.

... I dunno anymore. I really just need ***'s and Mare's route to work on my laptop...

And I'll have to pass on the shoutbox, as it is quite late here and I haven't had any rest.

Ye, all the scripts are pulled from EN.exe. :/

Sorry I could not have been of more help, since I can't replicate this error myself.

Edited by killerinsidee

@that guy: Thanks for the tips. Just edited the file. Haven't cleared even the **** girl route yet, but it's handy to have a fix beforehand.

What's that E supposed to do in the original file, though? Just curious...

EDIT: Oh, didn't notice it was a specific case about that second byte. Disregard!

Edited by ret
I'll update links later. The only difference between V2 and V2a (which I'm yet to upload) is MemoriaEN.exe which is hacked to prevent creation of graph_vis folder anywhere.

DIY: open MemoriaEN.exe from the Staircase 1.1 patch / UntrollV1toV2 / UntrollV2 in your favourite hex editor, change byte at offset 61ED from 5F to 00 (graph_vis -> graphvis).

Eab1990

In addition to the above, change byte at hex offset 6268 (0x45 - which is ASCII letter "E" - must be there) to some other alphanumeric character (hexadecimal 46, which is ASCII "F", for example).

I KNEW IT. I knew he made it so that it wouldn't run on my username.

Thanks a bunch.

Edited by Eab1990

It was literally the only solution that made sense.

Exact same installation process works on every laptop but my own? Has to be a username thing.

Whatever. Last time I ever work with that guy. Maybe in a few years, he'll be more mature about this sort of thing, but it's a miracle I put up with him for over a year. I just really wanted to get the game translated.

Here, HoshimemoUntrollPatchV2a.

HoshimemoUntrollPatchV2a.rar

Download Hoshimemo Untroll PatchV2a rar

The only change from V2 is hacked executable.

Install the game (in Japanese locale!) if you haven't already done it. Unpack archive to game's folder overwriting everything (maybe except for the opening movie if you prefer the original version over (potentially problematic) subbed one). Then manually open/install the Staircase Subs font and play the game in Japanese locale.

No incremental update from V1 or V2, because 1 byte isn't worth the trouble. If you want just the .exe and don't want to bother with hex editors yourself, download 4-5 MB from the beginning of V2a archive and interrupt the download (make sure the unfinished file doesn't get deleted!). Then open incomplete archive in WinRAR (ignore its complaint, .exe is located in the first 4MB of ~100MB file and you already have the other 96MB) and extract .exe file as usual.

See above. This is the cause of a "personal present" for Eab1990, codename "error 0x2044F13B".

There's an almost non-existent chance that someone else will get it in addition to him, so you didn't actually have to change the 2nd byte because it won't affect you. It already would have if it could.

Added to the first post.

Care to explain what was Eab1990's problem to begin with? Did Insem really change it so it won't run for him, that sounds very silly...O.o ?

Edited by killerinsidee

Basically, it was making that error if the windows username was a certain one.

Considering there's a slight possibility that other random people in the world could use this very same username, they would have the error too.

I edited the executable and put in my vm's username on it instead. Result...? Instant crash.

So that's pretty much it. Either renaming the windows user or using a different user altogether would easily, EASILY override this mechanism.

Basically, it was making that error if the windows username was a certain one.

Considering there's a slight possibility that other random people in the world could use this very same username, they would have the error too.

I edited the executable and put in my vm's username on it instead. Result...? Instant crash.

So that's pretty much it. Either renaming the windows user or using a different user altogether would easily, EASILY override this mechanism.

Found it finally. This is really silly to be honest, all this crap so 1 guy can't play.

Found it finally. This is really silly to be honest, all this crap so 1 guy can't play.

Considering he just made a public statement because he doesn't approve of me "defaming" him all over the internet, I don't think you know the half of it.

Considering he just made a public statement because he doesn't approve of me "defaming" him all over the internet, I don't think you know the half of it.

There will always be some e-drama. Oh well, at least you can play the game now.

I don't really want to know the details since it doesn't concern me. I just found it silly that they would go to such lengths to get back at you.

This problem is solved, so we can move on.

DAMMIT after fixing that hex code problem and finally able to play the full patch i found that some of voices for the characters are missing when i play like chinami's and ***'s (young version) i ignored it for a while then a voice error pops up and closes the game. can anyone help?

Well, I don't remember anyone with this problem, so more details are required. At least screencap the error message. Savegame just before the crash would be even better.

nvm something was wrong with iso after reinstalling it like 10 times i decided to get a new one...and then it worked T_T this game is killing me but at least i can finally read it properly now

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the game. Then I installed the 1.0 english patch, then the 1.1. I then start the hoshi.exe for english and this error pops uperror.png

Dont know what to do. Tried reinstalling. I DID install the directx in the startup menu. It wont work for any of the .exes I have.

I installed the game. Then I installed the 1.0 english patch, then the 1.1. I then start the hoshi.exe for english and this error pops up[ATTACH=CONFIG]2547[/ATTACH]

Dont know what to do. Tried reinstalling. I DID install the directx in the startup menu. It wont work for any of the .exes I have.

Try changing your locale to Japanese. Tutorial located here

Will that change the system language to Japanese as well? I don't think I could make my way back to the control panel if EVERYTHING is in japanese :l

No, it won't change the system language to Japanese. Changing the locale is required for some VNs in order to play them but trust me it won't change anything. Also make sure to run the shortcut with EN located in it.