Holy shit, you sure have a talent for languages. Mind to learn german? Or try one of those complicated native american ones.

Did one summer course of german, although I don't remember much xD

I also know a little bit of russian, too!

(Really tiny bit of these 2, so I don't count them xD)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lulz, I'm in the middle of learning japanese, and... what a paaaaain xD

When I finished the hiragana and started with the katakana, I was so full I kept confusing them @_@

It's my 4th language, so my head starts to be somewhat full of languages, but I don't wanna give up o:

Btw, if anyone needs help with spanish, guess I can help. I'm a native speaker, so I guess my level is quite good.

That's really impressive. I learned a lot of Spanish in high school, but I forgot most of it since I stopped going to Spanish class after I graduated. I tried to speak Spanish recently and I kept thinking of various Japanese words that I learned just from watching anime instead of the Spanish ones. I don't know how you can keep 4 languages straight in your head. I get everything jumbled up just knowing some Spanish and a little bit of Japanese.

He's using a special way to learn things...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4183[/ATTACH]

Never forget, alcohol improves your intelligence!

hmm... I think that would probably hurt, rather than help.

Hahahaha made me think of a shirt I was in London about how drinking improved your ability to speak foreign languages xD

2 of those 4 are my mothern languages, though :p The third is english, and then comes japanese (which I'm learning, although it's quite hard, since it has nothing to do with any language I know), and my lil knowledge about russian and german, which is almost unexistent after nor practicing it @_@

@Dan. No worries! Spanish is mainly used to insult, anyway : D

Hahahaha made me think of a shirt I was in London about how drinking improved your ability to speak foreign languages xD

2 of those 4 are my mothern languages, though :p The third is english, and then comes japanese (which I'm learning, although it's quite hard, since it has nothing to do with any language I know), and my lil knowledge about russian and german, which is almost unexistent after nor practicing it @_@

@Dan. No worries! Spanish is mainly used to insult, anyway : D

So, Spanish, English, and Japanese... What's the other one?

Yeah, in Catalonia (and its capital is Barcelona, which you probably have heard of :p). And yes, between all the romanic languages, spanish, catalan and french are the closest ones with each other.

We learned about Catalan in Spanish class. We also learned about Galician and Leonese. And Basque, which is nothing like Spanish and isn't even a Romance language. I find languages very interesting and I wish I could speak all of them, but I can't keep anything straight in my head except English. :(

Hahahahaha I see :p

Makes sense if you used to do spanish, although you never know, as many teachers of spanish were taught during a time that all the languages excep spanish were treated as crap and was a crime to speak them o:

Hahahahaha I see :p

Makes sense if you used to do spanish, although you never know, as many teachers of spanish were taught during a time that all the languages excep spanish were treated as crap and was a crime to speak them o:

I've had really good Spanish teachers. One of them actually lived in Spain for a long time and knew a lot about not only the language, but the culture too. It was really interesting to learn about how the culture influenced the language and things like that, that you wouldn't find in most textbooks.

By the way, do you have any tips for learning languages, or how to learn more than one and keep them straight in your head?

Hmmmm my best recommendation would be, first of all, to memorize completly the alphabet (although you mostly start there, usually). Then, we you start studying words by topics (like family, studies, things you find in a house, etc), to look for words that might look familiar to you. I know it sounds kinda weird, but makes the transition from one language to another easier. Also looking for funny coincidences and things like that.

In my case, for example, I used quite a random system of "funny" coincidences to learn hiragana in a day, and remember it nearly perfectly, although cuz of its difficulty I forced myself to write all the hiragana daily a pair of times.

PD: As it has been said here earlier, meeting people who speak the language you are learning is a great asset. But I recommend you to befriend them, not only talk in the typical pages where you exchange knowledge. It makes it more comfortable, and it'll be easier to practice with them.

Best way to learn japanese (not traditionally as in not knowing the punctuations and grammers that matter) is to spend the rest of your life watching anime.

that may work... I sharpened my english because of watching subbed anime since I was 4... and now I can speak japs too... But still can't read or write it...

Edited by VNHunter
O_O u sharped ur english through subs? i lost my touch through it =/ and gained some pretty bad influences if i do say so myself

My english actually became pretty good through reading subs as well xD

Started watching Anime about one and a half to two years ago, and before that, my english was pretty crappy :/

Best way to learn japanese (not traditionally as in not knowing the punctuations and grammers that matter) is to spend the rest of your life watching anime.

But unterstanding japanese and being able to speak it are two totally different things. You've to learn the basic stuff by yourself, then improve it via speaking to persons from japan.

My english actually became pretty good through reading subs as well xD

Well anime don't have that huge walls of text though. I believe visiting english boards is more effective than just reading subs.

I tend to simply watch series in english (not sub, series with the original voices) for it.

Listening to the Japanese while reading the English subs helps me understand japanese better than reading a big block of japanese would (which i can't even do)