Visual Novels Translation Status [11/11/12]

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why it is so hard to translate this game?

Not only did Ixrec mention how difficult it is to read the VN, Moogy also gave sort of an explanation about it.

Here it is folks, the big one. Nothing that’s especially difficult from an adaptation standpoint, so this one is just a straight up test of how good of a writer you are. Are you man enough to handle the six distinct voices Jackson has on display in this one? Probably not unless you’re fucking Nabokov or somebody, since his (incredibly verbose) writing style is one of the cleanest and most expressive you’ll find from any writer in any language. Every time I reread parts of Oretsuba I gain a greater appreciation of just how fucking well-written it is – this is definitely not something to be approached lightly and I think anyone who really loves the game will agree that it’s something that should never be attempted by the kind of people who translate visual novels, professionally or otherwise. More than anything this is the game that needs a real, proven writer to work on a theoretical translation. And that simply won’t happen.

Also

The craziest part of the writing in Oretsuba is that each protagonist's point of view is written in a totally different style and none of the speech styles are reused between characters. It's honestly kind of unbelievable that one person wrote it. It's not an exaggeration to say that Oretsuba is the crowning achievement of the eroge industry in terms of pure prose, and I think anyone who loves it definitely understands just how well-written it is - which is ironically why it will probably never be translated.

Again, It's Ixrec, aka God, so we shouldn't count it out.. but it would just be speculation (not tayutama) at this point.

Edited by desi
Ixrec will become the TRUE god if he translate Oretsuba

He'll become the Uber-God.

Watch the anime. It probably left out a lot of content but I really liked it.

Thanks but I'm not planning to watch anime in the near future. If I've some freetime then I invest it in visual novels.

Didn't someone else is translating this, or has he dropped it?

Yeah, but it looks like they weren't getting anywhere/had it stalled, so Commie picked it up. We'll probably see some steady progress now.

Fucking yes, about time this gets some TL update. Can't wait for this one :>

It must be a new trend - anime sub groups picking up VNs.

I was actually going to mention that.

Following Doki subs now the Commie Subs are working on another VN translation project. Are those groups finally seeing how awesome VNs can be compared to animes and the potential they have? I think that it may be somehow related. Then again, maybe this is just too much speculation that I'm making.

Well, I'm sure the future will tell us.