Every site that is somehow related to Japanese Games needs a Touhou Thread.

I'm pretty sure most of you know it, but for those, who don't, it is an "Bullet - Hell" , or also "Danmaku" Game series, created by ZUN.

Here are some pictures: Forbidden Arcanum ~Hourai Elixir~.wmv_snapshot_01.57_[2012.02.21_21.02.31].jpg hbj.wmv_snapshot_12.57_[2012.02.21_21.08.48].jpg

You have to dodge a lot of bullets, which come in patterns that look really nice in my opinion.

It also has a great range of characters and seriously awesome music :)

I don't call ZUN one of my favourite composers for nothing.

I own all of the Games in Original, and it has pretty much become a routine for me to start a Touhou Game a day, and just play some random level :p

So, do any of you play Touhou?

Not really, although I used to play Touhou 1 a ton.

Yeah, though that one was different in style, it was still pretty addicting.

But I had immense problems at the later boss fights :p

Dodging Bullets, just with moving left to right can be incredible hard at times..

But yeah, I wouldn't mind it, if ZUN would make another Touhou Game like this.

I'm a complete Touhou-tard.

http://i.imgur.com/kJ5VA.png

I can 1cc all the main (shooting) games on normal and a few on hard, I've beaten Ran, Suwako and Mokou and I've beaten PoFV's crazy sudden death extra mode with both characters.

I don't have the patience for StB and DS, though I made it to the final stretch in both. Fairy Wars is easy, until Marisa destroys me.

I suck at fighting games.

Overall, I am a terrible player considering how long I've been playing. :(

Edited by Melancholic
I'm a complete Touhou-tard.

I can 1cc all the main (shooting) games on normal and a few on hard, I've beaten Ran, Suwako and Mokou and I've beaten PoFV's crazy sudden death extra mode with both characters.

I don't have the patience for StB and DS, though I made it to the final stretch in both. Fairy Wars is easy, until Marisa destroys me.

I suck at fighting games.

Overall, I am a terrible player considering how long I've been playing. :(

You have quite a lot of Touhou stuff :p

I only have 1 to 13, minus the fighting games, and of course tons of Touhou images and remixes.

Didn't got around to buying them, since they cost twice as much as the usual games,

and I don't like fighting games much.

But it is Touhou, so I'll end up getting it anyway xD

But I guess all the others are fanmade, aren't they?

I can 1cc all games on hard, and EoSD and PCB on Lunatic as well.

But yeah, 1cc'ing them on normal is quite a thing too.

So don't think you are terrible, just 'cause you can't beat any higher than that.

I bet most people have problems beating easy anyway.

And to ultimumknight: Yeah, you should really try it out.

And don't think you suck, if you are quiet bad at first.

Everyone is totally bad at first.

I still remember, where I could only get up to Stage 4 in certain games, before losing all my 3 continues :p

You have quite a lot of Touhou stuff :p

I only have 1 to 13, minus the fighting games, and of course tons of Touhou images and remixes.

Didn't got around to buying them, since they cost twice as much as the usual games,

and I don't like fighting games much.

But it is Touhou, so I'll end up getting it anyway xD

But I guess all the others are fanmade, aren't they?

10.5 and 12.3 are worth it just for the arranged soundtracks alone!

Yes, the other games in the list are all unofficial ones. I'm going to pepper this paragraph with YouTube links to share the love.

and
are shooting games in the style of the official games. They're both full of awesome spell card ideas. CtC offers 4 routes that have completely different early stages (Scarlet Devil Mansion, Eientei, PoFV, PC98), and one of the most epic final bosses ever. It runs in Danmakufu, an engine that emulates Touhou for which anyone can write scripts.
are
really
scripts
, as well as obviously a lot of horrible ones.
is another great full Danmakufu game one with many new gameplay mechanics and modes, that for some reason is not on my list.
is also a shooting game. It adds a third dimension (height) and a jumping mechanic. Suwako takes a walk through Gensokyo and encounters various natives. It gets really hectic.

Everything above is recommended. I won't cover the non-shooters on my list because this post is already too long. :o

Never played any of the Touhou games, but I've seen gameplay here and there and I'm going to try out some of those fan-made varients. They look like a lot of fun that needed pretty good reflexes, the closest I've ever played to one would be various American "bullet hell shooters" but they would never compare to what I've seen in Touhou gameplay lol. How much does each Touhou game cost usually?

Never played any of the Touhou games, but I've seen gameplay here and there and I'm going to try out some of those fan-made varients. They look like a lot of fun that needed pretty good reflexes, the closest I've ever played to one would be various American "bullet hell shooters" but they would never compare to what I've seen in Touhou gameplay lol. How much does each Touhou game cost usually?

The usual danmaku shooter games by ZUN cost 30 $ each.

And yeah, you need pretty good reflexes, along with some precise movement skill.

Since this community is built around the distribution of illegal copies of software I'm going to just flat out say it: pirate the whole lot of them, then buy the ones you like if you are so inclined.

Imperishable Night is a good one to start with due to it's many starting lives, easy deathbombing and overall awesomeness.

you need pretty good reflexes

Nah. I don't think that's true at all considering the things Cave makes. :p

^ I was going to mention that, but I didn't know how people would feel about me being blatently honest XD

TBH one of the best things of Touhou to me is the simple fact that I'd be able to play it in comfort in computer. Now that I remember, the only game that I've played of this genre was Jamestown on Steam during Christmas's "Holiday blow out sale" on steam; it was pretty fun.

darn my friend used to say something like Touhou is the most popular game in japan, i thought it was an anime back then, i can't imagine it's a super difficult shooting game.. wonder why it become damn famous in japan, i wonder which one's more famous, Touhou or Dragon Quest.

Nah. I don't think that's true at all considering the things Cave makes. :p

Meh. That doesn't mean you don't need good reflexes in Touhou.

And I personally think, that you just need to be familiar with how to move in the video you showed.

Dodging that on the run would be kinda.. :p

30$ isn't bad at all, I should really consider buying one. Would you suggest one of the older games or newer games?

Like Melancholic said, you can pirate the whole game series easily.

I also did that at first, and bought them afterwards, since they became my favourite game series, and still are today :)

And, well..

I play all of them, undependant of age, so I would personally say, it doesn't matter with which game you start.

My personal favourite though is Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith.

Touhou 8 : Imperishable Night, and Touhou 13 : Ten Desires both have "Spell Card Practice".

Spellcards are the attack patterns of the bosses.

So yeah, as you are a beginner, you could practice the spellcards,

without having to play through the stage again every time, in case you have no Idea how to dodge one spellcard.

And the game which I think is easiest on normal mode is Touhou 7 : Perfect Cherry Blossom.

So yeah, I guess if you consider the stuff I just wrote, you should pick one of the 4 as your first game :)

darn my friend used to say something like Touhou is the most popular game in japan, i thought it was an anime back then, i can't imagine it's a super difficult shooting game.. wonder why it become damn famous in japan, i wonder which one's more famous, Touhou or Dragon Quest.

Dragon Quest. If Touhou were as popular as Dragon Quest ZUN would be selling it in stores nation-wide, not at comikets.

Popularity doesn't always indicate quality.

Dragon Quest is published by Square Enix, Touhou is a doujin franchise. You can't really compare the two. Square Enix relies on a massive network of manufacturers and distributors to get their goods in stores, while ZUN remains fiercely independent and does almost everything himself. Obviously he's not going to be able to compete with them in that regard.

Koichi Sugiyama (Dragon Quest composer) has 159 composer credits on VGMdb, ZUN has 3642. "dragon_quest" finds 185 pages of fan art on Danbooru, "touhou" finds 12366.

Either Touhou is more popular, or Dragon Quest fans are just not artistically inclined.

Dragon Quest. If Touhou were as popular as Dragon Quest ZUN would be selling it in stores nation-wide, not at comikets.

Popularity doesn't always indicate quality.

that's logic, if Touhou were that popular, it must be able to sell like crazy right,

Dragon Quest is published by Square Enix, Touhou is a doujin franchise. You can't really compare the two. Square Enix relies on a massive network of manufacturers and distributors to get their goods in stores, while ZUN remains fiercely independent and does almost everything himself. Obviously he's not going to be able to compete with them in that regard.

Koichi Sugiyama (Dragon Quest composer) has 159 composer credits on VGMdb, ZUN has 3642. "dragon_quest" finds 185 pages of fan art on Danbooru, "touhou" finds 12366.

Either Touhou is more popular, or Dragon Quest fans are just not artistically inclined.

Doujin Franchise? I thought someone said that Touhou is a shooting game, i've seen my friend played that game once, but i refused when he asked me to play it, since i didn't really get it how to play :|, well i guess Touhou's popularity backed up by tons of people (mostly consisted of Otakus of course) who love loli, Touhou has no male character right? well if it has, i think the hero is 'partly' heroine as well..

My friend is an illustrator and it seems like he enjoys himself when drawing characters from Touhou, and whenever i see that, i think i can guess the base of Touhou's popularity. As with Dragon Quest, it's a long running game which even more popular than Bieber in Japan :|, and the characters were done by Akira Toriyama, its popularity might exceed Touhou but, who want to draw muscular man over and over again? :|