How many of you will to play a VN game after watch the Anime series

Will you play it after watched the anime  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Will you play it after watched the anime

• Yes
    • No
    • Never watch the anime series before

I've watched a ton of anime, and the more I think about it, the more I find that I've seen anime of popular VN's well before I played the game. Tsukihime, Fate/Stay, Clannad, Air, All of them I watched the anime versions of first.

I suppose it comes down to the fact that I watch tons of current anime, and don't always have a translated VN to play in english before the anime is aired.

I dont mind having watched the anime before playing the vn. Some people cant stand spoilers but I dont really mind. The feeling of playing the vn is also very different from watching the anime. So, I will play the vn even after watching the anime. Probably depends on whether someone can stand spoilers or not.

I really don't think spoilers come into this. Most anime are a far cry from the games themselves. Like watching a movie and thinking it spoils a book. 100% of the time the book has more info, more depth, and more enjoyment than a movie version. Assuming the book comes first of course.

Sure, it's great to want to watch the original first, then watch the movie/anime. But sometimes it seems like this is setting yourself up for disappointment. To be honest in most of those VN's with anime I listed before, I watched the anime first, then played the game, then found myself watching the anime again with a different insight after knowing the full details from the VN.

Edited by Haika

I play the visual novel, and ignore the anime.

In my mind, Visual Novel > Manga > Anime when it comes to story depth and overall enjoyment. Of course I'd rather experience the original, so in the case of Ai Yori Aoshi I'd read the manga, while in the case of Spice and Wolf I'd go for the light novels if possible(Although the Spice and Wolf anime was amazing)

I play the visual novel, and ignore the anime.

In my mind, Visual Novel > Manga > Anime when it comes to story depth and overall enjoyment. Of course I'd rather experience the original, so in the case of Ai Yori Aoshi I'd read the manga, while in the case of Spice and Wolf I'd go for the light novels if possible(Although the Spice and Wolf anime was amazing)

QFT

Although when I was starting out with the playing/watching, I was watching the anime first. Then after I discovered that the source material was better, my priorities changed.

Edited by killerinsidee

Not sure i should i put this, if i already know the main story after watching anime, then most likely i less motive to play the VN, but still i will try.

Yah agreed the VN game are more detail, but the anime is all route in one series.(less detail) XD

I dont mind having watched the anime before playing the vn. Some people cant stand spoilers but I dont really mind. The feeling of playing the vn is also very different from watching the anime. So, I will play the vn even after watching the anime. Probably depends on whether someone can stand spoilers or not.

To be honest its not that I feel that watching the anime spoils the vn. Rather that it really depends on how the anime was to the person watching the anime that will motivate them to play the vn or not.

Well, its more of a story of what happened with me and my friend when we watched the Tsukihime anime. It was last year or maybe two years ago that my friend talked to me about the tsukihime vn. I had already played through it and.... he wanted my honest review of the VN. To cut a long story short, he watched the anime before playing the vn and was really disappointed in the anime(me too). I told him that the vn was great but it was a hard to persuade someone that had already seen something that gave him a mindset that shows that this game sucks ass. Well, after much coaxing and having him read the story for a few minutes, I managed to get him to actually take an interest and play the whole VN. Well, I think he has finished reading all the routes by now. But, to be honest it would have been a whole lot easier to persuade him if he had played the VN before watching the anime.

So, my opinion after that was that watching the anime gives you an idea of what kind of outcome you can expect from the story. The anime might lack depth and ...enjoyment(hehehe). But, the whole anime gives you an outline of what you are putting yourself into reading a dull book about some wimpy hero and some overly stressed out vampire with a problem. Don't get me wrong, I love Tsukihime as a VN. Its just the anime that I couldnt stand.

BTW, I also read Steins;Gate, Chaos;head, and fate/ stay night after watching the anime and honestly felt that they were great and made me want to rewatch the anime again to reconfirm some things in the VN with the anime. But, yeah some times that just doesnt work with all animes. (especially if it was bad)

So, for the question of whether I would play the VN it after I had watched the anime. Yes, I would. But, from experience I can see some people wouldn't touch it if they disliked the anime.

P.S. I still dont like the Tsukihime anime. Wish it had been made like the VN. -sigh- oh well, there are others awaiting.

Ugh, the Tsukihime anime was crap. Maybe because it was made so long ago, but they changed too many things making it feel like a horrible rip off from the novel. I honestly liked the Tsukihime parts in Carnival Phantasm more.

I started playing visual novels because I was extremely unsatisfied with how most romance anime go nowhere with their relationships, or the characters will confess at the end but the anime concludes soon after. I've already seen mostly every romance visual novel's - that's been translated - anime adaptation, though if I have yet to see it, these days I've been playing the visual novels first because the visual novel will be loads better compared to the romantic anime, without question.

alot of times its a way for me 2 see the MC w/ the heroine that I want b/c idk how animes do it, but they always tend to pair up the MC w/ the most unpopular heroine :mad:

I think this revolves around a concept of a 'main' heroine. For many VN's, and games like Harvest Moon. There is usually a strong contender for the most average and common match up with the main character. The anime seem to support this, and I wonder if it isn't a general Japanese trend to like those characters more. Those of us who are into these games and the anime itself from other languages tend to like the more ab-normal types. I suppose it may say something about Japanese culture, vs our view as 'Otaku'. Either that or it's published media trying to brainwash the masses into being what is more accepted by society, even if that's a bit of a paranoid revolutionary type thought.

I started playing visual novels because I was extremely unsatisfied with how most romance anime go nowhere with their relationships, or the characters will confess at the end but the anime concludes soon after. I've already seen mostly every romance visual novel's - that's been translated - anime adaptation, though if I have yet to see it, these days I've been playing the visual novels first because the visual novel will be loads better compared to the romantic anime, without question.

Amen to that! I hate shounen romance shows where nothing actually happens. The offense is only worse if it's a long one like Ranma(not that there's anything wrong with Ranma, but as a romance show it's.....not really a romance show)

An eroge is much more detailed than the manga, and the manga than the anime. My answer to this thread is that I would MOSTLY prefer having to play the eroge first than watch the anime. However, there are some that i watched the anime first. For example, I watched Fate Stay Night anime first than the eroge. But I didn't know that it had an eroge, and when I played it, it filled me with more satisfaction. So i guess:

Eroge>Anime: Makes the anime look lame.

Anime>Eroge: Greatly boosts the Eroge experience.

It's just like Harry Potter(yes, I'm a fan). I read all the books first, then felt annoyed with how they changed the story in the movie.

I dont mind playing the vn after anime or vice versa

I would just play the one the I have my hand on it first also for most of the time VN tend to have more content and anime tend to have

some filler or some extra contents that not in vn (not neccessary good or bad)

Meh, I personally prefer the VN, all the animes based on VN lack plot, or at least in a lot of cases...for example Koihime Musou...I loved the VN, the story wasn't the most original ever...but it was still good with action and romance, and the anime?? only a bunch of girls showing how well developed they are, there isn't even a protagonist!!! I expected at least a romance between Aisha and Kazuto :S ......

The only exeption of the curse would be Fate/Stay Night, because yeah...the first one was loyal to Saber's route, after that the movie Unlimited Blade Works covered Rin's route, now they bring us Fate/Zero....and I'm still hoping for some kind of OVA's for Heavens Feel and in a couple (a lot) of years an animation for Hollow Ataraxia xD

NO i will not pay for anything...why the hell shud i pay wen i can have it for free???

tats y god created google, the pirate bay, demonoid and other 21st century phenomena

nway im off to pirate some movie i will never watch

It depends on the anime and vn.If I like the anime and thought it seems like a vn as I was watching it than yea I will look into it.

I viewed Clannad and Clannad the after story before I knew it was an Vn and because of the After Story I didnt play the Vn just because the Clannad After Story was to sad :(

So I didn't play it because I wanted to forget that I watched the anime.

I wished I never watched the after story because it messed up the original for me :(

It depends on the anime and vn.If I like the anime and thought it seems like a vn as I was watching it than yea I will look into it.

I viewed Clannad and Clannad the after story before I knew it was an Vn and because of the After Story I didnt play the Vn just because the Clannad After Story was to sad :(

So I didn't play it because I wanted to forget that I watched the anime.

I wished I never watched the after story because it messed up the original for me :(

Can't agree more then what you say...

I understand, I get you feeling....:(

When i try to pull myself up and try the Clannad VN, it just to pain full for me to bare it and continue to play. In the end i just stop at the begin of the story of VN.

Up until now everything i hear this song it feel warm, also painful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmSjrr0XQNw