Hoshizora no Memoria problems

Seems so simple, thank you for clearing that up. Ive Never really changed the locales for programs, but thanks much :D

Glad you got it to work out. Have fun.

EDIT: Sorry for not noticing but you should download the Japanese language pack for windows. Changing your locale to Japanese without the pack might cause some problems.

Edited by desi
  • Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a Hoshimemo thread in the General Talk section, let's keep this one on topic, shall we?

Staircase Subs' Dracu-riot! announcement:

"PS: A 1.2 patch for Hoshizora no Memoria will be released soon. Some staff are currently busy, and haven’t been able to get around to it. Keep an eye out for that as there will be a significant number of improvements to patch 1.1."

I'm soo excited. We'll finally find out whether they were/are just trolling or just being plain simply retarded.

Considering that there is a poll on their site about the censorship, I think they will actually make it so you can choose to censor the stuff or not with the patch. If they were actually trolling(which I doubt) then it's a really lame joke by them. Also I'm hoping that they don't try to "invent" a 3rd way to keep the game censored.

The censorship was my suggestion/idea, actually. Since I considered showing this game to other people IRL, but not wanting the ero material to turn them away, I asked Insem if he would consider a way to remove the h-scenes.

Needless to say, I wasn't expecting him to do so in a retarded manner.

The censorship was my suggestion/idea, actually. Since I considered showing this game to other people IRL, but not wanting the ero material to turn them away, I asked Insem if he would consider a way to remove the h-scenes.

Needless to say, I wasn't expecting him to do so in a retarded manner.

I'm all good and fine with "censorship" as long as it's optional. A lot of games(like ef and katawa shoujo) have an option to not show H-scenes or most of the ero content. It's kinda worthless to go into further discussion about why and how the "dolphins" were implemented at this point. We just need to wait for 1.2 patch to see what happens.

Edited by killerinsidee

Hi everyone, I'm experiencing a crash in the game and I haven't seen anyone else with the same problem. The game's been running smoothly thus far with no errors, until I get to a certain scene during Obon, in my first playthrough. At the lookout, when [possible spoilers] Setsuna brandishes her naginata at Mare, the screen goes black and I get this error.

I've tried everything I could think of short of a full reinstall, including setting the system locale to Japanese (normally I just run with applocale) and changing file permissions from read-only. Is there something I haven't thought of that I can try? Or will I need to reinstall?

Thanks in advance.

edit: I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, if that helps. Also version 1.1 of the translation, though I had this error with version 1.0 as well.

Edited by kongorg
Hi everyone, I'm experiencing a crash in the game and I haven't seen anyone else with the same problem. The game's been running smoothly thus far with no errors, until I get to a certain scene during Obon, in my first playthrough. At the lookout, when [possible spoilers] Setsuna brandishes her naginata at Mare, the screen goes black and I get this error.

I've tried everything I could think of short of a full reinstall, including setting the system locale to Japanese (normally I just run with applocale) and changing file permissions from read-only. Is there something I haven't thought of that I can try? Or will I need to reinstall?

Thanks in advance.

edit: I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, if that helps. Also version 1.1 of the translation, though I had this error with version 1.0 as well.

Think someone reported a similar error somewhere before. What you need to do is run the game from the original(japanese exe, untranslated), load the save(before the error point) and get past the point where you get the error. Save the game after that point and run the game normally(from the english exe). It should work fine after that.

Edited by killerinsidee

Thanks for the response. I tried that method and the japanese exe crashes whenever it tries to display Setsuna's image (now with a graph_bs\char error). I'm guessing this means my install was corrupted, if it can't access those files properly. I'll backup my saves and try a reinstall, and report back if that fixes it. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the response. I tried that method and the japanese exe crashes whenever it tries to display Setsuna's image (now with a graph_bs\char error). I'm guessing this means my install was corrupted, if it can't access those files properly. I'll backup my saves and try a reinstall, and report back if that fixes it. Fingers crossed.

If a re-install doesn't fix it then the .bin file(in which the images are stored) is corrupted. You need to re-download the game in that case.

Hellow, like every one, i have a trouble =P. Mine is that it isnt starts. I have instaled the pacht, and the original exe starts and it goes fine, but when i init the english exe, it nothing happens. (It doesnt sow any Pop-Up or nothing)

Please help, i want to play it!!!! =(

Hellow, like every one, i have a trouble =P. Mine is that it isnt starts. I have instaled the pacht, and the original exe starts and it goes fine, but when i init the english exe, it nothing happens. (It doesnt sow any Pop-Up or nothing)

Please help, i want to play it!!!! =(

The english shortcut is broken, either install the Staircase patch 1.1 that fixes that issue(after installing the 1.0 version) or run the game directly from the folder(from MemoriaEN.exe).

The english shortcut is broken, either install the Staircase patch 1.1 that fixes that issue(after installing the 1.0 version) or run the game directly from the folder(from MemoriaEN.exe).

Thats what i have done,(start it from the folder) and it didnt goes.(The pacht that i use is the 1.1)

Thats what i have done,(start it from the folder) and it didnt goes.(The pacht that i use is the 1.1)

Can you come to the shoutbox to discuss it ? I'm there at the moment.

Edit: His problem is solved, he needed to run the english exe as an Administrator.

Edited by killerinsidee

Hello! I have been looking around and it seems like I'm the only one that's having this problem. When I play the game, after the second word of the second line, the line will break mid-sentence and start a completely new line. But other than that, everything else seems to work fine (so far).

An example of how it would look like:

http://oi48.tinypic.com/6xpzmc.jpg

I did a clean install with the untroll patch and my laptop's OS is win7 64bit. My locale is set to Japanese and I already tried changing my compatibility to Vista, XP, etc. Nothing works. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Hello! I have been looking around and it seems like I'm the only one that's having this problem. When I play the game, after the second word of the second line, the line will break mid-sentence and start a completely new line. But other than that, everything else seems to work fine (so far).

An example of how it would look like:

http://oi48.tinypic.com/6xpzmc.jpg

I did a clean install with the untroll patch and my laptop's OS is win7 64bit. My locale is set to Japanese and I already tried changing my compatibility to Vista, XP, etc. Nothing works. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

First you need to install the font included in the patch(Staircase Subs Custom.ttf - right click -> Install Font) if you didn't already. Then you need to go to the in-game options(and to the second or third page if I remember correctly) and change to Font to "Staircase Subs Custom".

Edited by killerinsidee
>no more cute sea mammals

Well, at least they've made my life easier (apparently). Any voluteers to check for the remaining/more trolling?

Also, does anyone want another untroll package (which will be just an all-in-one archive of all relevant patches this time, I hope)?

I'll check if the trolling is gone.

Edit: Tested it just now. I did a clean install, installed patch 1.0 and 1.2(and used a 100% save). You still need to remove the graph_vis folder to get rid of the dolphins, but the exe that is included in the 1.2 update(it's probably the old 1.0 one) doesn't try to replicate the folder again.

Edited by killerinsidee
Thanks for testing, this means that there will be no further untrolls unless something will be found (and reported here) in the future, because the only difference from V2b to V3 would be .exe and .hcb files from Staircase 1.2 archive.

They didn't even make an installer this time, so there's no problem with missing registry entry that's required for patch installers if you manually copy Hoshimemo from the game disc instead of installing it. This makes it compatible with my untroll patches, among other things, so upgrading from them is as simple as unpacking Staircase v.1.2 patch to game's folder, overwriting existing files.

To sum up, if you want to have the game with the latest updates:

1. Install Hoshimemo in Japanese locale or copy its folder from the game disc.
  2. Download HoshimemoUntrollPatchV2b.rar (99 MB, Mediafire) and unpack it to the game's folder, overwriting existing files (you can keep original opening movie 01.mpg).
  3. Download Staircase English patch v.1.2 (3 MB, Mediafire) and unpack it to the game's folder, overwriting existing files.
  4. Install Staircase Subs Custom.ttf font located in the game's folder (read Microsoft tutorial if you don't know how).
  5. Change the default font to Staircase one on the 2nd page of ingame options.
  6. Play the game in Japanese locale.

Alternatively, Staircase Subs method (Japanese locale is required for everything):

1. Install Hoshimemo from the game disc.
  2. Download FAVORITE Japanese patch v.1.1 (Memoria_update_v11.zip from FAVORITE website), unpack it somewhere and install it.
  3. Download Staircase English patch v.1.0 from Staircase website and install it.
  4. Download Staircase English patch v.1.2 (3 MB, Mediafire) and unpack it to the game's folder, overwriting existing files.
  5. Delete graph_vis folder (not the graph_vis.bin file!) inside the game's folder.
  6. Install Staircase Subs Custom.ttf font located in the game's folder (read Microsoft tutorial if you don't know how).
  7. Change the default font to Staircase one on the 2nd page of ingame options.
  8. Play the game.

You MUST use Japanese locale to install (if you use game installer), patch (if you use patch installers) and play the game.

Applocale/NTLEA/AGTH & Co. may or may not work; WinXP/2003 users with administrative rights can use any locale as long as the game path doesn't contain national characters.

It would be handy to have these instructions in the first post too. I see you're working on it, good job.

Bleh, I already started writing the install instructions. I'm making a retard-proof guide though.

Edit: Finished the guide and added a link to your guide in the first post.

Edited by killerinsidee

Apparently, Memoria causes BSoD to my computer after about 2-5 minutes of gameplay after two specific triggers:

1.) Clicking or hitting enter to forward to the next text.

2.) Scrolling up on the mouse wheel to access the backlog.

I have followed these instructions in installing the game:

To sum up, if you want to have the game with the latest updates:

Install Hoshimemo in Japanese locale or copy its folder from the game disc.

Download HoshimemoUntrollPatchV2b.rar (99 MB, Mediafire) and unpack it to the game's folder, overwriting existing files (you can keep original opening movie 01.mpg).

Download Staircase English patch v.1.2 (3 MB, Mediafire) and unpack it to the game's folder, overwriting existing files.

Install Staircase Subs Custom.ttf font located in the game's folder (read Microsoft tutorial if you don't know how).

Change the default font to Staircase one on the 2nd page of ingame options.

Play the game in Japanese locale.

Frankly, I have no idea what's causing the issue. It seems very specific to this game only, but I'm really not sure. Would anyone have any insight on this?

Edited by Rosencrance
Apparently, Memoria causes BSoD to my computer after about 2-5 minutes of gameplay after two specific triggers:

1.) Clicking or hitting enter to forward to the next text.

2.) Scrolling up on the mouse wheel to access the backlog.

I have followed these instructions in installing the game:

Frankly, I have no idea what's causing the issue. It seems very specific to this game only, but I'm really not sure. Would anyone have any insight on this?

BSoD can mean a lot of things really. No one reported a similar issue before, so there's definitely something up with your PC. I had a similar problem like 2 years ago - I got a few BSoDs on 1 game only, then I decided to do a memtest and it turned out that 1 memory stick had crapload of bad sectors. I'm not suggesting that your memory is the problem, but you could test a few things out to isolate the problem. I kinda doubt that it's a game related issue.

Edited by killerinsidee

Thanks for the response. Suppose that my memory is the issue, how would I remedy the issue so that I can play Memoria? My laptop, I think, won't allow me to give it more RAM, and I'd appreciate a suggestion that isn't 'get a new computer' unless that truly would be the only way to fix the issue.

Thanks for the response. Suppose that my memory is the issue, how would I remedy the issue so that I can play Memoria? My laptop, I think, won't allow me to give it more RAM, and I'd appreciate a suggestion that isn't 'get a new computer' unless that truly would be the only way to fix the issue.

Well, you can test your memory with this - Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool . Just burn it on a cd and boot it from it to run the test or download the auto-installer from the same page, in case you want to run it from a USB stick (boot it from that instead).

For other parts of the PC, you can pretty much find all the test programs you need on google and it's all free, like Furmark for testing your graphics card, etc.

You can't really tell what's the problem until you test it all. It can be something really silly or it can be an early sign of hardware failure.

Edited by killerinsidee