I'm starting to like the way they animate the scenes where Oreki explains how he figured out the solution. They're all animated differently so it adds some variety to the show. Also, I noticed they changed all the lines concerning Sekitani Jun from 33 years ago to 45 years ago and I was wondering why, but then I realized the book was set 12 years ago (2000) and they changed the setting for the current day parts, but not when the incident happened (SLIGHT SPOILER because the time period is related to the case). The show is starting to get better as they're moving into the main plot.

The main story is moving slowly, but it's fine like that. I'm really enjoying the feel of the show, even though some people will still say that it's boring :/. It's funny how Oreki always tries to avoid any physical work(to save energy). The part with that senpai was pretty funny, how Oreki kept a cool face all the way.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The main story is moving slowly, but it's fine like that. I'm really enjoying the feel of the show, even though some people will still say that it's boring :/. It's funny how Oreki always tries to avoid any physical work(to save energy).

I like the pace too. This show is slow and laid-back, just like Oreki. If anyone is looking for action, they're watching the wrong show.

The part with that senpai was pretty funny, how Oreki kept a cool face all the way.

Oreki always keeps his cool :cool:

Sometimes characters in light novel adaptations look just like the illustrations (e.g. Toradora or Haganai). I just looked at the illustration from the second book and Oreki and Chitanda look nothing like the illustrations, and Satoshi and Ibara are only vaguely similar. This is by no means a bad thing, though. They look much better in the anime. I just thought it was interesting, so I posted it here.

Hyouka_vol_02_-_002.jpg

Sometimes characters in light novel adaptations look just like the illustrations (e.g. Toradora or Haganai). I just looked at the illustration from the second book and Oreki and Chitanda look nothing like the illustrations, and Satoshi and Ibara are only vaguely similar. This is by no means a bad thing, though. They look much better in the anime. I just thought it was interesting, so I posted it here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3326[/ATTACH]

I agree, the anime version looks better, but it would be interesting to see a more "brighter" version of Chitanda.

I agree, the anime version looks better, but it would be interesting to see a more "brighter" version of Chitanda.

I think she could actually be less bright, appearance-wise. She's supposed to look like a standard ojou-sama character, with long, dark hair and an air of refinement. Her personality and curiosity are supposed to be surprising. In the novel, only her eyes hint at her curiosity.

Just for info, Episode 11.5 will be streamed on July 7th at midnight - Hyouka Has Mizugis In Upcoming OVA | SeventhStyle

I really don't want some beach fanservice episode in this show, but I though I'd mention it.

Yeah, this show doesn't really need one. But it's standard now for every single anime to have a beach or pool swimsuit service episode. It's kind of disappointing that it has to be that way. And they put them in everything, even when it makes no sense. But at least it will be an extra episode. Hopefully there will be some minor mystery at the pool or something so it's not just some crappy service. Also, thanks for mentioning it; I might never have known otherwise. :)

Just for info, Episode 11.5 will be streamed on July 7th at midnight - Hyouka Has Mizugis In Upcoming OVA | SeventhStyle

I really don't want some beach fanservice episode in this show, but I though I'd mention it.

Beach fanservice episode would ruin this Anime for me completely, I watch Hyouka because it has a Serious sense and I would like it to remain that way.

Beach fanservice episode would ruin this Anime for me completely, I watch Hyouka because it has a Serious sense and I would like it to remain that way.

After streaming it, they will add it to the Blu-ray vol. 3. So it won't really have all that much to do with the main storyline, it's just a bonus for the people that buy it.

Four was another pretty good episode. Mostly it followed the novel. They added some stuff in that wasn't in the book (moving to the pond, Chitanda making onigiri, the rain and mushrooms). At first I was thinking, Why would they add these random things?. I generally prefer an adaptation to be as close as possible to the original. But then I realized that without that, it would be 20 minutes of four people sitting around a table talking, so they added in little things to change it up. KyoAni's pretty good at this anime thing, aren't they?

Four was another pretty good episode. Mostly it followed the novel. They added some stuff in that wasn't in the book (moving to the pond, Chitanda making onigiri, the rain and mushrooms). At first I was thinking, Why would they add these random things?. I generally prefer an adaptation to be as close as possible to the original. But then I realized that without that, it would be 20 minutes of four people sitting around a table talking, so they added in little things to change it up. KyoAni's pretty good at this anime thing, aren't they?

Oh yes they are. It was a decent episode, think they made a good job at making it not as boring as it could have been. This episode felt like it was 10min long for some reason. Overall, the 3rd ep was the best for me so far. The show is still in the "intro mode" and there's a long way till the end, so I guess it'll get even better.

Edited by killerinsidee
Oh yes they are. It was a decent episode, think they made a good job at making it not as boring as it could have been. This episode felt like it was 10min long for some reason. Overall, the 3rd ep was the best for me so far. The show is still in the "intro mode" and there's a long way till the end, so I guess it'll get even better.

It really did feel like it was only 10 minutes long, but that's probably a good thing. Because it was just four people sitting around a table talking, it's better that it doesn't feel too long. I agree that the 3rd episode was probably the best so far, but like you said, there's a long way to go before the end, so hopefully they'll get better and better.

So, episode 5 was the conclusion to the mystery of Hyouka. It's not as entertaining for me as it should be since I've already read it, but it's still good to see it animated. This time it didn't stray too far from the book. I can't believe how lame the reasoning behind the title 'Hyouka' was. I wanted to say something as soon as I read it, but it would spoil the show if you hadn't read it. It was such a lame pun and they tried to make it so dramatic (Oreki was mad that nobody understood it; it made Chitanda cry). I realized what it was pretty early, but that's probably because I'm a native English speaker, so I already know the ice cream/I scream pun pretty well. It was probably a lot more obscure for the Japanese readers/viewers.

So, episode 5 was the conclusion to the mystery of Hyouka. It's not as entertaining for me as it should be since I've already read it, but it's still good to see it animated. This time it didn't stray too far from the book. I can't believe how lame the reasoning behind the title 'Hyouka' was. I wanted to say something as soon as I read it, but it would spoil the show if you hadn't read it. It was such a lame pun and they tried to make it so dramatic (Oreki was mad that nobody understood it; it made Chitanda cry). I realized what it was pretty early, but that's probably because I'm a native English speaker, so I already know the ice cream/I scream pun pretty well. It was probably a lot more obscure for the Japanese readers/viewers.

This episode is the one I liked the least so far. KyoAni did try to make up for the lame conclusion of the mystery, but it wasn't enough this time. The pacing of this episode was really off for some reason. I guess this is the "end of the Hyouka mystery", but it's still kind of a strange conclusion. I didn't expect it to be that easy, thought it would twist for 1-2 more episodes. I'm really interested to see where they take it from this point, they can go a lot of ways I guess.

This episode is the one I liked the least so far. KyoAni did try to make up for the lame conclusion of the mystery, but it wasn't enough this time. The pacing of this episode was really off for some reason. I guess this is the "end of the Hyouka mystery", but it's still kind of a strange conclusion. I didn't expect it to be that easy, thought it would twist for 1-2 more episodes. I'm really interested to see where they take it from this point, they can go a lot of ways I guess.

I agree that this was probably the worst episode so far. The conclusion was that Oreki was basically right, but there was just a little more to the story and it wasn't much of a twist. They did have a little bit of a change of character in Oreki. It was the end of the first book, so after this I don't know what it will be like starting in the next book. They could do anything from here on. It will probably be a similar format though, with a few smaller mysteries, then a bigger mystery, and various smaller mysteries that need to be solved in order to solve the bigger mystery.

I agree that this was probably the worst episode so far. The conclusion was that Oreki was basically right, but there was just a little more to the story and it wasn't much of a twist. They did have a little bit of a change of character in Oreki. It was the end of the first book, so after this I don't know what it will be like starting in the next book. They could do anything from here on. It will probably be a similar format though, with a few smaller mysteries, then a bigger mystery, and various smaller mysteries that need to be solved in order to solve the bigger mystery.

Well, the character development should be interesting to see, since there was not a lot of it so far.

Well, the character development should be interesting to see, since there was not a lot of it so far.

I'm not sure if it will actually make a difference. He might be back to normal by the next episode. But if there's another big mystery, he might take some initiative again.

I meant that future character development will be nice to see.

And I meant that there might not be any. He'll probably be the same in the next episode as he was before episode 5. He might be similarly interested in solving the next big mystery like he was in episode 5, but that will probably be as far as he develops, at least for a while. He might change again near the end of the show. But I don't have much hope for him changing very much for now.

Haven't seen this show (will start soon) so I haven't gone through the comments yet, but I'm assuming this hasn't been posted yet. Thought it was pretty interesting :)

It's pretty good. It's slice of life and mystery, so you shouldn't watch it expecting any action or drama.

That is an interesting picture. I posted the picture that the second column (2002) comes from, but I hadn't seen the other ones. Thanks.

I just watched episode 6. It wasn't the beginning of the next novel (the first novel ended in ep. 5), but I think it might have come from volume 4, based on the episode title. From the preview, it looks like the next episode won't be volume 2 of the novels either. I don't really care either way, but I thought I'd mention the info.

This part was funny:

chitandas.png