Anyone know if arrival and usage of Windows 8 will affect Visual Novels?

As in whether or not there will be trouble in running old Visual Novels on the new operating system?

lolz..its obvious..though waiting for a service pack should be able to use any old VN/game

but so far win7 have been great and i have no intention to have win8 even its free~

Who wants to use windows 8 just after its release anyway? As for your question, no idea but probably yes.

I just read that most programs which works under windows 7 will also work under windows 8. But anyway, is there really a reason for using windows 8? I mean what are the new features? (Too lazy to google the answer)

Well, windows 8 changed drastically from developer's release to release candidate, so nobody knows for sure - though the general consensus is that the developer release is better than the release candidate.

As to running old programs, I haven't heard anything about it. Windows 8 will probably be able to play anything Windows 7 can. (I'm hoping for some better back-compatibility myself, but I know how unlikely that is :()

Well, windows 8 changed drastically from developer's release to release candidate, so nobody knows for sure - though the general consensus is that the developer release is better than the release candidate.

As to running old programs, I haven't heard anything about it. Windows 8 will probably be able to play anything Windows 7 can. (I'm hoping for some better back-compatibility myself, but I know how unlikely that is :()

ave...there's the service pack on win7 which you get nearly all the benefits of win8..

but for running old programs..it seems that win8 are yet to be tested

Actually it depends on whether or not win8 includes the same features as win7, If it does then you should be able to run it in compatibility mode ( Never used it that often so I don't even know if it works ), I suppose you should give it at least a month to be able to get a full answer on whether or not win8 will effect VN's unless you try it yourself and find out, I'll stick to my win7 though.

Almost all programs that run under Windows 7 should work under Windows 8. I don't see the need to upgrade at this point though. It's not like Windows 7 is going to die out when Windows 8 comes out. I'm sticking with Windows 7 for the next few years though... no plans to upgrade anytime soon.

Windows 8 will have two modes that will differ greatly: Metro (aka shit) mode, and regular desktop mode.

Regular desktop programs work exactly like in old Windows, albeit with a "flatter" Aero style.

Metro apps, on the other hand, are pretty much oversized cell phone apps.

One can switch modes by hitting a key or touching some button, can't remember.. Just think of Metro as a full-screen size window where you run metro apps, like when using a virtual machine.

VNs and main productive software will most likely keep the classic "desktop" interface. I don't think 8 is going to be popular with desktop computer users. That MS Surface might be a bit more comfortable, though.

Edited by ret

I have no intention to upgrade to windows 8 anytime soon, windows 7 is a solid OS, just like XP service pack 3 and i have my doubts wether windows 8 will bring something new to the table.

Windows 7 will receive official support (either for software/games) until 2016 at least so no need to upgrade just yet.

They release new OSes too quickly. They just add a few new features and re-skin it then sell it and make tons of money. Who needs Windows 8? or & or Vista? Windows XP is where it's at.