Visual Novels Translation Status [11/04/2012]

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i not a native english speaker for one >>>

and heck...

even Tenshin Ranman seems to be better now..

and i dont support machine translations..

oh..plus...just dont post something that dont even can be called an official translations here...

its just a shame..

Fuwa is a crap site..

you'll understand if you knew why...

then again..you wont since you still a NOOB

Ryu...

its sad to see those NOOBS without general knowledge support Aaeru and her crappy site~~

She speaks better English than you.

And the new site is far from crappy. If you can do better, I'd love eat my "noob" words.

i not a native english speaker for one >>>

and heck...

even Tenshin Ranman seems to be better now..

and i dont support machine translations..

oh..plus...just dont post something that dont even can be called an official translations here...

its just a shame..

Fuwa is a crap site..

you'll understand if you knew why...

then again..you wont since you still a NOOB

http://performinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Hey ulti, can you write a comment without using the word noob or insulting anyone? Just askin...

baa-chan..

actually i can...avoid insulting people..

but...

i cant help to insult others that didnt even use their brain..

plus...Ryu

you dont have to point that out..

we all understand that a NOOB takes a major offence

when people noticed and point them out as a NOOB~~~~

Here's a nice little update that has not been talked about yet:

Da Capo III (being translated by Aearu) has reached the 10% mark using annot player. I'm excited to see how that turns out!

Cool looking forward to it. Being a NOOB and all, I don't really mind machine translations :D

Cool looking forward to it. Being a NOOB and all, I don't really mind machine translations :D

good for you..

man..im glad there's an Honest person in here..

then again..

i advice you wait for MG official version..

i've seen the screenshots on her "so called project"

and its bad >.>

i advice you wait for MG official version..

You think it will come? If that's the case I will wait tho I haven't heard anything about it.

i've seen the screenshots on her "so called project"

and its bad >.>

Doesn't really bother me much. I had a very pleasant experience reading FH and didn't mind it's often nonsensical English. Probably because I am not a native English speaker either :D

ulti, if you're not a native English speaker, then why is it you care so much about the "legitimacy" or whatever of a translation project? Can you even tell the difference between a good translation and a hack job? I'm not trying to insult you the way you obviously are to me, I honestly want to know. I'll give you my reasoning: MG did an official translation of Da Capo 1, for instance, and it was pretty awful itself. Not so bad that I couldn't get through it, but from what I've seen Aearu write on the Visual Aer blog, I'm expecting her DC3 to be much more readable than MG's DC1 was. And yes, I realize MG is said to do much better jobs now, but they've proven many times in the past that just because they are doing "official" translations (therefore "legit" in your view) doesn't mean it's always going to be good.

haiz..im sad

for the fact that im not a native speaker....that doesnt mean i dont look forward for proper english and grammar >.>

and hell with DC..its old bullshit story..

and machine translations sucks..

that discourage people thate being doing a proper job to share the VNs that they like or wanted to share..

and by official..

i mean a translations that is done in a proper way..

not crap shit from Aaeru//

and please...i know you were a Fuwa

so..dont post any nonsense updates that dont even matters in this official VN updates thread >.>

So basically what ulti is saying is that being from Fuwa is a bad thing because obviously we're better than them, that trying to update people on something he particularly doesn't care about is bad and that everybody who disagrees with him is a noob.

As usual his ability to look down on people is impressive.

Pass me some of that popcorn.

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

I can't understand the whole hate towards Aaeru either.

Main reasons most of "VN community" hates Aaeru:

1. She started promoting her "site" by spamming new threads/hijacking on /jp/ and other niche-related boards, proclaiming "we're going to change the western eroge world by uniting all translators (...)" (while this alone is not okay, doing it while only thing on your website is few screenshots how the website is going to look like in 1 year, when it's finished is kinda... . Check 4chan archives for more details/proofs)

2. Until now, she changed her stance on piracy two times already. At beginning she decided to to provide pirated games, same as my sites, K1, A-S and few other do. Then she changed her mind, and in lengthly blog post announced that it'll be patches-only, since it's very important to respect copyrights of authors and support western market. Finally she decided that copyright is outdated mechanic, it's everyone's *right* to get all culture goods for free, while author can starve to death, for all she cares.

3. Site provides no added value - all she's doing is leeching content/releases from other sites, adding some bullshit propaganda movies to her "repacks". Back in old days when "the scene" actually meant something, shit like that would get instantly nuked, "release group" banned from every topsite, and website DDoSed to hell and back...

4. Up till now, we've yet to see any actual release from her. The reason her "progress" isn't included in VNTLS is because the poster includes only proven/trustworthy projects. Look for "gamepatch's shuffle" and "to heart 2" translation projects to see why it's like that.

ulti, if you're not a native English speaker, then why is it you care so much about the "legitimacy" or whatever of a translation project? Can you even tell the difference between a good translation and a hack job? I'm not trying to insult you the way you obviously are to me, I honestly want to know. I'll give you my reasoning: MG did an official translation of Da Capo 1, for instance, and it was pretty awful itself. Not so bad that I couldn't get through it, but from what I've seen Aearu write on the Visual Aer blog, I'm expecting her DC3 to be much more readable than MG's DC1 was. And yes, I realize MG is said to do much better jobs now, but they've proven many times in the past that just because they are doing "official" translations (therefore "legit" in your view) doesn't mean it's always going to be good.

Well, it's a normal thing that most of people which are not native are way much better in reading than in writing. I'm not native and I know that at this point my English writing skill could be better but in reading I'm fluent. I just started studying English Linguistic and it's totally normal.

Btw. machine translations should be banned;p I love DC and I would like to play a proper version of 3rd part.

4. Up till now, we've yet to see any actual release from her. The reason her "progress" isn't included in VNTLS is because the poster includes only proven/trustworthy projects. Look for "gamepatch's shuffle" and "to heart 2" translation projects to see why it's like that.

Not all of the proven projects. There are couple of fine projects which are not there. e.g Okasare Yuusha II ~Yuusha na no ni, Chinchin wo Pikupiku Sarete Bakari no Boku...~

Edited by Ignazzio

*sits down besides Ryu and OneManArmy*

What did i miss?

http://performinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gifhttp://performinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gifhttp://performinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Here's a nice little update

NO!

that has not been talked about yet:

I wonder why. :rolleyes:

Da Capo III (being translated by Aearu) has reached the 10% mark using annot player.

"Translated"...Bwahahaha~~~

I'm excited to see how that turns out!

It turns into a pile of shit.

She speaks better English than you.

Can she speak/read japanese?

And the new site is far from crappy.

It's a total crap and utter rubbish.

if you're not a native English speaker, then why is it you care so much about the "legitimacy" or whatever of a translation project?

This.

Can you even tell the difference between a good translation and a hack job?

hack job = Crane, Aaeru and MT

I'm not trying to insult you the way you obviously are to me,

Owh, but I'm trying too. Get lost you filthy mongrel.

Blablabla

http://i.imgur.com/ky0it.jpg

A special Guro pic just for Soren.

ulti, I don't even know what a Fuwa is...

I'm sure there are at least a couple projects that are machine translated and you wouldn't even know the difference unless you were fluent in Japanese AND had played the originals to compare with. Most of us are happy enough to play a game that we would otherwise never get to, whether it was done by a fluently bilingual person or not. Being able to translate via machine translation also shows you have really good comprehension skills, and I'm very grateful to anyone who would dedicate their time and patience to making games available to new crowds. I'm much more appreciate to someone like that than say, some incomprehensible nerd calling everyone noobs and never actually having anything of worth to contribute themselves.

Also, this whole BS where you aren't "true" or "legit" unless you are legally distributing the game is laughable since there are very few people out there who don't illegally download games. In fact, I'm sure illegal downloading is what led most of us to this very site to begin with. All the power to you if you do actually buy everything you play, I'm not one of them though, and you're calling out the majority.

Main reasons most of "VN community" hates Aaeru:

1. She started promoting her "site" by spamming new threads/hijacking on /jp/ and other niche-related boards, proclaiming "we're going to change the western eroge world by uniting all translators (...)" (while this alone is not okay, doing it while only thing on your website is few screenshots how the website is going to look like in 1 year, when it's finished is kinda... . Check 4chan archives for more details/proofs)

2. Until now, she changed her stance on piracy two times already. At beginning she decided to to provide pirated games, same as my sites, K1, A-S and few other do. Then she changed her mind, and in lengthly blog post announced that it'll be patches-only, since it's very important to respect copyrights of authors and support western market. Finally she decided that copyright is outdated mechanic, it's everyone's *right* to get all culture goods for free, while author can starve to death, for all she cares.

3. Site provides no added value - all she's doing is leeching content/releases from other sites, adding some bullshit propaganda movies to her "repacks". Back in old days when "the scene" actually meant something, shit like that would get instantly nuked, "release group" banned from every topsite, and website DDoSed to hell and back...

Thanks for those informations Ivan-san, I didn't know about any of those things.

ulti, I don't even know what a Fuwa is...

I'm sure there are at least a couple projects that are machine translated and you wouldn't even know the difference unless you were fluent in Japanese AND had played the originals to compare with. Most of us are happy enough to play a game that we would otherwise never get to, whether it was done by a fluently bilingual person or not. Being able to translate via machine translation also shows you have really good comprehension skills, and I'm very grateful to anyone who would dedicate their time and patience to making games available to new crowds. I'm much more appreciate to someone like that than say, some incomprehensible nerd calling everyone noobs and never actually having anything of worth to contribute themselves.

Also, this whole BS where you aren't "true" or "legit" unless you are legally distributing the game is laughable since there are very few people out there who don't illegally download games. In fact, I'm sure illegal downloading is what led most of us to this very site to begin with. All the power to you if you do actually buy everything you play, I'm not one of them though, and you're calling out the majority.

lolz..

i for one..

secretly wished you never wrote this..if you ever get the meaning..

im bad with hiragana..and thats that..

plus...whats the point with machine translations??

its discouraging others to do a proper job >.>

and for the main point...

piracy is one thing..and people sharing it is another

but..talking bout a bullshit propaganda...

its dumb....

and you are not in the majority here >>>

the majority here knows how bad is Aaeru and Fuwa...

oh..619

you still falls on the lower category~~

plus...whats the point with machine translations??

It gives those of us who aren't obsessing over quality and perfection a chance to read what might not be picked up otherwise. Even a poor, machine translated and slightly edited patch (FH) beats the nightmare of having to use AGTH or ITH anyday.

There are so many visual novels out there, and sadly so very few people who bother to roll up their sleeves and translate them properly.

Edited by PShort
It gives those of us who aren't obsessing over quality and perfection a chance to read what might not be picked up otherwise. Even a poor, machine translated and slightly edited patch (FH) beats the nightmare of having to use AGTH or ITH anyday.

There are so many visual novels out there, and sadly so very few people who bother to roll up their sleeves and translate them properly.

except for those "elitists" (lulz) like us who do expect something to make sense and not garbled junk with no sense of start or finish , it is possible (and very probable) that a machine translated VN will be much worse than a non-translated one because the translation is crap.

"It is very possible for a translation to be so bad that it really is worse than no translation at all. In fact, I've seen quite a few of these myself."

dude..thats because..

translating a VN takes up a lot of time.

and for the that reason..

people should look forward for proper translations..

i mean..these people were doing it all for our sake..

they burn their time and passion just to get everything proper...

and heck..machine translations were so bad that...even editing still makes it sucks..

they need to re-construct the whole sentences if they want readers to truly enjoy what they were reading~~

and for this very reason..

we all pay tribute to those that did a proper job in providing us stuffs to read...

bad translations aside , its when these sites start asking for donations that peeves me the most. they expect (and get eventually) people to support their mediocrity. ANYONE can "translate" a VN with their tools. not anyone can find a hacker , sure , but ANYONE can do what they do. whats so special about that? i applaud the world.