Which is your favorite Fallout game  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Fallout game

• Fallout 1
    • Fallout 2
    • Fallout 3
    • Fallout: New Vegas

I was reading the thread about TESs and a comment about Fallout made me realize that we do not have a thread for Fallout in the Games Lobby. So here it is for everyone to discuss and enjoy:

I have not played the first two Fallout games so I am missing half of the games but I liked New Vegas better than 3. The mechanics were more refined and there were more opportunities for customizing your character. I also liked going back to the west and meeting up with the New California Republic a lot as well. They were mentioned throughout the lore a lot but you never get a chance to see the Republic in action in Fallout 3 so it was interesting. Possibly minor spoilers for New Vegas ahead and it gets a little deep too so you have been warned:

Oddly enough I actually liked the New California Republic from what I heard in Fallout 3, I only used in game sources for information until I beat New Vegas. It seemed like this beacon of light of sorts in the post apocalyptic wasteland that was Fallout and appeared to be trying to make things better for their people. When I played New Vegas though I was dissappointed at how they were handling things and it seemed like the Republic's core values had faded over time. They seemed more interested in Bureacratic red tape and expanding their borders for imperialistic gain instead of what was best for their people. Their army was also stretched very thin and it seemed like one wrong move could cause the entire edifice to come crashing down.

This made me think a lot about the Roman Empire and why it eventually fell after dominating most of Europe for centuries. In the 5th century a few decades before the historical end of the Western Empire there were reports of soldiers who were cutting off their own thumbs so they would not have to fight for the Roman government. This was in stark contrast to the early Republic when tales of patriotism and Roman pride seemed much more genuine than some of the more obvious propaganda pieces and dramas that were written and performed to raise morale during the Empire. It was pretty clear that something, a lot of things actually, happened over the centuries that made the people collectively decide that being Roman was not as great as it used to be. There was more to it than this but I was primarily very impressed with how the game managed to make me think about these things. Such as what makes a good government? Can anarchy sometimes be preferable to bad government?

I also liked the Divide DLC as well. The story was not something I would write home about to be honest but it made me think about a lot of things as well. It made me think about what makes a country? Does a country have a collective soul? Can one determined person change the destiny of said country? Can the spirit of a country survive even if the government fails? Does a country have to die from within before it falls apart from without? It was pretty interesting stuff I thought and was right up my alley as far as organizational and national development are concerned. If only more anti-game lobbyists could see beyond shooting a mutated gekko or collecting that one extra nuka cola bottle. Then games and VNs might be seen for what they could really be and not what is just on the surface.

On a sidenote: fully modified Holorifle equals super awesome weapon. Loved that rifle so much and it made the rest of the game so much easier. Also, the poll shows only 4 titles but any Fallout titles would be fair game.

Edited by someguy withaname

Fallout 3 was great add the dlc to it makes it even better.The scenery for 3 is better than New Vegas.New Vegas scenery was just a dry dust bowl no matter were you went unlike in 3 were you see the ruins of DC and that battle ship made into a city.

New Vegas was ok but not the best. I love the mods for the guns better than creating weapons on 3.The map sucks hard, the only thing I like about the map was New Vegas, The boomers, and the fact their was now downed buildings to blocked your path.Fallout 3 had a better Radio Host that played more end of the world songs instead of cowboy songs.

But both games had good stories but I think 3 made was better your just a guy trying to find his dad.Unlike in New Vegas were you were a nobody until a guy shot you (wait I'm just a mail man don't.....10 hours later..... I'm the strongest mofo around just because you shot me.) but I still like the rest of the story.

In New Vegas I disarmed Benny then picked up his gun and killed him with it on my first play through.

New Vegas was just a spin off of the 2nd Fallout New Reno (New Reno may had been the first game) But nobody played the first 2 they are just shi#ty PC games. (They look so bad it's hard to believe that 3 and New Vegas originated from fallout and fallout 2)

Edited by Breakthrough

The only one I didn't like was New Vegas. It didn't really feel post apocalyptic, with Vegas almost intact after the war, not to mention that you're surrounded only be desert. I would say that the Fallout 1 had the best setting, with Fallout 2 close second. Though having a ship as a city in Fallout 3 was very clever.

Another thing I hated about New Vegas is the "choose factions" endgame nonsense, they really botched that part. One nice thing about Vegas was the hardcore mode, if only they put it into Fallout 3, that would have been really great.

The only one I didn't like was New Vegas. It didn't really feel post apocalyptic, with Vegas almost intact after the war, not to mention that you're surrounded only be desert. I would say that the Fallout 1 had the best setting, with Fallout 2 close second. Though having a ship as a city in Fallout 3 was very clever.

Another thing I hated about New Vegas is the "choose factions" endgame nonsense, they really botched that part. One nice thing about Vegas was the hardcore mode, if only they put it into Fallout 3, that would have been really great.

Yea, that faction bullshit was retarded, I didnt even like anyone in that game :/

FAllout 3+Hardcore mode=fucking awesome though

I only played Fallout 3 and I really enjoyed the game. The strongest point of this game was probably its freedom. You could do whatever you want and you're even able to play as an asshole. And there were also an insane amount of mods for this game. Once I used so many of them that my PC crashed like every 10min. Although, there were two things I didn't like about Fallout 3, the awkward aiming system and the fact that the game becomes rather boring when you reached the highest level. I always wanted to play Fallout 2 but because of some mysterious reasons I didn't touch it until today.

Edited by OneManArmy

Fallout 2 was best game in series for me. Despite old visual side everything else(story, sounds, gameplay) was top quality.As for so called fallout 3/ new vegas that was same tes oblivion with guns, compared to fallout 1/2 story was simplified until 6 years old kid brain level there wasnt any interesting plot twists or story itself,world is beutiful but dead, npc with same voice acting and so on.

same voice acting and so on.

lol this is so true. I remember when I first played Fallout 3 and after the first 15 hours I started noticing that quite a few npcs sounded the same after awhile. I thought maybe it was just me but when I looked it up they had some people doing the voices for almost a dozen minor npcs at times. I thought it was kind of funny though as a lot of other games do it but I just never noticed it until Fallout 3.

• 7 months later...