I'm currently reading Dra+Koi right now but something tells me it's gonna be a short one...

So, once again I scan through the list of VNs translated and I got my attention on Fate/Stay Night...

But "some" people said this VN was bad to begin with...

And my question to you... Is it worth it???

I'm not sure if you're asking if Dra+Koi is bad or F/S N, so I'll go with both.

F/S N - While I haven't played it yet, most of the people I know on the site gave it 8s and 9s. The only thing that could possibly bother you is that it's a NVL VN, it basically means that the text covers the whole screen. If you've never played a VN that uses that system it'll take a bit to get used to. Other then that I can't think of much else that could be "bad".

Dra+Koi - It seems to be very short, but it's in the 7-8 range so it shouldn't be horrible or anything.

I'm wondering where you've read the "bad stuff" about these VNs? If it's from the main site then you should really stop reading comments there. You'll either get spoiled or read some very stupid things.

Edited by killerinsidee

Yea don't worry, it's a great VN. A very long one (a plus for me at least). You may not like all of its parts, but overall it's still one of the better VNs you can get your hands on I'd say.

It has Kotomine Kirei and Illya, so what the fuck. :D

Edited by Harlequin
Other then that I can't think of much else that could be "bad" about it.

Shirou. :eek: /jk

On a serious note, this VN contains a lot of info dumping (and the translation isn't exactly great) so if you think you will not be bored by it, then you're good to go.

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf
I'm not sure if you're asking if Dra+Koi is bad or F/S N, so I'll go with both.

F/S N - While I haven't played it yet, most of the people I know on the site gave it 8s and 9s. The only thing that could possibly bother you is that it's a NVL VN, it basically means that the text covers the whole screen. If you've never played a VN that uses that system it'll take a bit to get used to. Other then that I can't think of much else that could be "bad" about it.

Dra+Koi - It seems to be very short, but it's in the 7-8 range so it shouldn't be horrible or anything.

I'm wondering where you've read the "bad stuff" about these VNs? If it's from the main site then you should really stop reading comments there. You'll either get spoiled or read some very stupid things.

I'm not mentioning anything bad about Dra+Koi...

In fact, I like that fucked-up situation the VN is telling...

I simply just want some suggestions, recommendations or reviews for what VN I want to read after I finish Dra+Koi...In this case, it's F/SN...

And another quick question...Does F/SN has great storytelling? Like G-senjou or Kara??

Dra+koi is a good 2hours read with the awesome mum's dialogue XD

while..in Fate....

you'll have to bear a stupid and usless MC..

while..you wish for an alternate ending in UBW and cant wait for HF continuation in FHA~

I would say it is better than both of them put together. :rolleyes:

That's a very disturbing statement from my point of view, even if only a joke :p

Btw it's sure that a few bad comments shouldn't refrain anyone from reading F/sn, because if we look at those the majority, overall, is very good.

That's a very disturbing statement from my point of view, even if only a joke :p

*Look at G-Senjou disjointed/spin-off side routes and its plot holes* Certainly not the best way for storytelling, I think.

F/SN won against G-Sen Epilogue + Kara in my point of view, albeit with a small margin. :rolleyes:

*Look at G-Senjou disjointed/spin-off side routes and its plot holes* Certainly not the best way for storytelling, I think.

F/SN won against G-Sen Epilogue + Kara in my point of view, albeit with a small margin. :rolleyes:

How good or bad G-Senjou is isn't important, Fate is way behind KnS alone (though I can assure you that 100 out of 100 my opinion about G-Senjou is worse than yours).

But not because KnS is so fantastic that nothing can compare to it, it's F/sn that is... what it is. An "epic story" doesn't equal an epic storytelling and when you write as Nasu do you're just prententious, not capable.

edit: Not to throw the stone and hide the hand, but I think I should make myself more clear; I'm no hater of F/sn, I pretty much like the story and my problem is with Nasu (and again, I don't appreciate him but I don't appreciate most of the other vns writers any better).

So I can't say I like him but if others like you do I'm ok with it, I don't want to sound like I speak ZA truth and the rest is wrong because we don't agree.

And now that I think about it, last but not least, there's something I'd like to say about the narrative voids... "plot hole" is quite the abused expression that in the common, negative acceptation groups everything toghether but actually a void is not necessary defective all the time because it can even be a literary artifice.

While a plot hole is a bad thing because is a void that creates an incongruency in the story, a void that isn't dysfunctional to the narration can even be "part of it"; making an example of something quite common, let's say that in a certain part of a story there's a point in which a psycho forcibly takes a guy in a dark room, and then the door closes... after a bit you hear the screams and then the narration skip to the end of the scene showing the guy dead or whatever -> that's a small-scale example. You don't really know what happened but your mind fills in with the worst stuff you can image, that is more impressive than actually watching the scene because if you see it, whatever torture it may be, you tend to think that's not actually that bad or scaring.

This kind of trick is useful for other -very different XD- purposes as well (e.g. to give depth to a romantic/emotional moment). I read that some writers have even made a rightful narrative style out of it or something similar.

The true ending of KnS

has like one and a half of them; the first is obviously the one related to Touko's status (I'm not wrong, no? XD), the other is "half" because it's not exactly a narrative void but a series of situations and symbolisms that are like the pieces of something that you have to build a bit by yourself; part of it is fact that the picture that she was painting was a blue bird hatched from the egg. The blue bird is a (not so un)usual reference to "The Blue Bird" of Maeterlinck that basically represents happiness; I'd say even freedom and life too for KnS, that's quite the paradox if you think about the correlation between the egg, Touko and her mother and the fact that the metaphor of the bird that isn't able to hatch from the egg is used to represent death (dunno about vns but talking about anime series or movies I could name Oshii's Tenshi no Tamago and Ikuhara's Utena) and that the love that "gave her a -new- life" was the cause of her death(?) and stuff. Or at least that is the interpretation that I gave it when I read it more than a year ago, there was more about the rest but I'd have to read it again to be precise.

Regarding G-Senjou I had more basic perplexities with what was written than with what was left unsaid, I don't even remember what these plot holes are about or if I'd classify them as such.

Edited by Uzuki Sepia
the example wasn't that great and probably still isn't, but the meaning should be clear
Gerard I

*cough cough* where was I ooo yes I definitely recommend Fate/Stay and believe the story telling is done quite well. Hopefully you enjoy it :)

Lol. And why? Fate isn't pretentious? KnK isn't pretentious? Tsukihime? What is your idea of pretentious, let me hear.

Lol. And why? Fate isn't pretentious? KnK isn't pretentious? Tsukihime? What is your idea of pretentious, let me hear.

Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

That is the definition of the word and my idea of what it means IS that definition. I don't make up definitions for words and its not my job. I don't see how Nasu is trying to be pretentious, did he say in an article that he is the best writer of all time or that Fate is the best story ever written? I don't understand how you believe this unless you actually have an article or are in a fantasy world with magical unicorns. Are you believing this because people are saying Fate is the best novel in the world? I am so confused how exactly he is pretentious. I don't remember in the story Nasu pretending to impress me with his talent then what he actually has. If I enjoy a novel then I will say so just as much as if I don't enjoy a novel.

End- Thank you for arguing kinda fun. Now I would like this thread to not be derailed so I doubt I will respond since its going to be clear we have different definitions for the word "pretentious". (If you trolled me, you deserve a medal)

Edited by battlerrules
Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

That is the definition of the word and my idea of what it means IS that definition. I don't make up definitions for words and its not my job. I don't see how Nasu is trying to be pretentious, did he say in an article that he is the best writer of all time or that Fate is the best story ever written? I don't understand how you believe this unless you actually have an article or are in a fantasy world with magical unicorns. Are you believing this because people are saying Fate is the best novel in the world? I am so confused how exactly he is pretentious. I don't remember in the story Nasu pretending to impress me with his talent then what he actually has. If I enjoy a novel then I will say so just as much as if I don't enjoy a novel.

End- Thank you for arguing kinda fun. Now I would like this thread to be derailed so I doubt I will respond since its going to be clear we have different definitions for the word "pretentious". (If you trolled me, you deserve a medal)

So it's not enough that he tried to deliver a flashy psycho-shounen as a seinen, he had to state somewhere that he believes himself to be the best writer ever to be called pretentious. And then I'm the one who argues funny... as you see fit.

You could have avoided a meaningless post like this if you cared so much for the thread not to be derailed, because as you should have understood I don't believe him to be talented and so I think that he actually tries all the time to impress the readers with something that he doesen't have. And seems like he's a genius at that.

His work are ambitious, there's no need for the article bullshit stuff you wrote. For you his skills are at least on par with his ambition, for me they are not and so is pretentious. It's a very simple concept that you surely know and ignored just to tease, isn't it?

Like I wrote earlier to Gerard the Lone Wolf I'm fine if you don't agree, happens. He had his position, I had mine, and the discussion was over... likewise now.

Edited by Uzuki Sepia
KnK

Are you talking about Kara no Kyoukai the movie version OR the novel? :confused:

Pretentious is when you're trying to sound smarter than you actually are. That is my take on it. Another way is when a story tries to reach something higher than its limit.

It pushed the deeper and arcane subject, the subliminal meaning that not everyone can pick up on such as metaphysical or symbolical topics like "the meaning of sacrifice", "the end of life","the universe and everything" all the way up and place it on top of everything else, neglecting or completely forsaking the moral of the story and theme (e.g. the point of the story, the main message), characters and story development (e.g. the point of reference, the background, the consistency, the depth, and the logic of the characters,), spending lots of efforts trying to be "deep" rather than focusing on more concrete and grounded things most of the time. The monolog or narration needs to have context, and a point to begin with, and the characters who do this need to have a backstory that lead up to that point. If these don't exists, then chances are it is just there to sound intelligent.

Though there're plenty of cases of people who condemn things to be pretentious because they couldn't understand the story. "I can't comprehend this, so [insert title] sucks!"

Which is obviously wrong.

You could have avoided a meaningless post like this if you cared so much for the thread not to be derailed, because as you should have understood I don't believe him to be talented

no need for the article bullshit stuff you wrote.

It's a very simple concept that you surely know and ignored just to tease, isn't it.

It's not very nice to say all these when you're the one who wants to "hear" Butler's idea in the first place.

I think that he actually tries all the time to impress the readers with something that he doesen't have.

And how do you know that Nasu doesn't have or have something? You use your guts and hunch? Heh? lol

You should judge Nasu based upon his works, yet I don't see you provide anything related to his works that can back your claim/opinion/whatever on him.

Like I wrote earlier to Gerard the Lone Wolf I'm fine if you don't agree, happens. He had his position, I had mine, and the discussion was over... likewise now.

You're the one who started it, and so I will leave it to you if you want to withdraw from the argument.

If any of you guys actually care about staying on topic, then you should have known that the "Quick question" has already been resolved in the first page of the topic. -.- There's no actual reason to answer it anymore.

So yea, this thread can actually be locked already.

Sight Wolfy, so the opinion of one ends a question about opinion? I rather not leave Ulti's response unanswered for because he was clearly trolling but it wasn't clear.