Visual Novels Translation Status [11/09/2014]

At the moment average pledge is ~$90 and (at least) 3 pledged $7000 or more. What kind of sorcery is this!!? O.o

I remember someone saying that these hobbies(Anime, Manga, Visual Novel, Light Novels) cost more and are more addicting than drugs.

I mean, I can relate... if someone told me to give up one of the above(except drugs ofc) for life, I would laugh and punch them in the face.

Edited by Whitetragedy
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are more active fan translations nowadays than there has ever been, it seems. I believe the next twelve months are going to be much more active than the previous 12. It's just that average quality has gone to shit. Since a lot of the old guard are no longer in the fanTL scene, the biggest translation community is no longer tlwiki, who had at least moderate standards of quality and helped each other achieve them, nowadays it's Fuwanovel. As enthusiastic as they are, and as active as I am posting there, I'll admit the standards are pretty low. It seems like as long as it's not machine translation, it's good enough. And that "it's good enough" attitude also discourages criticism.So places like Fuwanovel don't actually have any veteran leadership for their translation teams. I can't really think of a fuwanovel project that actually has a translator or editor who has worked on a released complete patch. That's kind of crazy considering how many active projects there are.

your words really discouraging me as a new translator with "shit quality translation" you've mentioned before. I know that i was no good from the beginning, but i want try to become better you know. we want to do our best, can you guys at least appreciate it?

your words really discouraging me as a new translator with "shit quality translation" you've mentioned before. I know that i was no good from the beginning, but i want try to become better you know. we want to do our best, can you guys at least appreciate it?

There is a lot of elitist and self entitled bullshit on this forum Yu, don't let it get you down. Keep up the good work and know that at least some of us appreciate it.

There is a lot of elitist and self entitled bullshit on this forum Yu, don't let it get you down. Keep up the good work and know that at least some of us appreciate it.

More than just some, the majority appreciate it.

Peoples are quick to critique things, but not so often give praise, so it often seem that peoples always critique your work, but most of the times when only a few peoples complain it's because the majority are happy.

Edited by Crazyboy

This forum has always been elitist but honestly I don't think there's much wrong with what he said.It's not like he just went "all these guys are shit bla bla bla", he simply stated the fact that pretty much most translators coming from fuwa are begginers and that therefore OBVIOUSLY they won't have work of as much quality as the veterans that have been dropping out one by one.Using nice words wouldn't have changed the meaning.If you feel discouraged every time someone says something bad about your work then maybe you should rethink wether you really wanna do this, for this is the internet and nobody is ever happy about anything.

I won't defend fuwa, because fuck them, but I do think it's a bit unfair to say that their TL quality is shit. That's simply because they never release anything. The quality can be totally shit or fucking epic, but without any full patch releases it doesn't make any difference.

@Yu Narukami, as OOGABOOGA said, there will always be some elitists and shit. I don't know what you're translating exactly, but I can tell you that a lot of people have fairly low standards when it comes to free TLs so they don't complain much when they get one. Even if you "want try to become better" and "want to do your best", there will always be people bitching about some shit. On top of all that, let's say you have 100 comments about your TL, 98 say that you're the best guy ever and people are inviting you into the Secret Mashiro Care Bear Club, while the other 2 say that you're a fucking piece of shit who should die in a fire and get eaten by some white pelicans (possibly racist) for making such a poor TL. Of course, you'll only remember the negative feedback, it's just how it works. Blame Draon, it's his fault.

At the end of the day, assuming that you put out an "ok" TL patch, a large percentage of people will enjoy it and a small percentage won't, but the latter most certainly let you know how much you suck ass. It's a rough "community". You could always learn to not give a shit and enjoy doing what ever it is you're doing...and wait for the invitation to the Secret Mashiro Care Bear Club, you never know.

Best of luck with the club, I hope you get in.

Edited by killerinsidee
what does this button do?

I hope you're able to learn and get better. I definitely appreciate your willingness to improve and help the community. We need many people like that in order to grow and increase the amount of VNs being translated. But here's my philosophy: You should aim to improve your abilities before translating. Don't jump the gun. I know you're eager, and that's great, but jumping the gun like that can be a bad thing. We have plenty of time in our lives, no reason to rush so much. You can improve a whole lot just by continuing to study Japanese and English.

It doesn't hurt to hold ourselves to a higher standard if it helps us all improve and contribute in more meaningful ways. And if you truly are looking to improve, then balking at even just the slightest criticism is not a good way to do it.

It's strange, I've lurked on alot of forums, but this place has been anything but elitist as far as attitudes go - some jabs here and there - but honestly a fairly leveled-headed group.

I think you may be slightly blowing his words out of context; generally speaking, the TL scene HAS gone to shit - not to say any one persons work is "bad" - it's just very rare for someone to see a project through to the end. Last few years have been one giant cock-tease after another for VNs picked up and then dropped, leaves at least myself alittle cynical.

Being new is nothing to be defensive about, as I said in an earlier post, everyone starts somewhere. :) Hell, it's better then me who doesn't even try. And most of us - and I think Decay too, do apriciatte any work that helps develop the scene; I sense you just mistook it as a personal attack. I admit I don't know one way or another the current quality of anything from fuwa, but thats cuase I can't even visit their forums. :p

Ultimately - everyone can improve with time and experience - and if you have confidence in yourself and the work you do, you have no reason to be self concious.

EDIT: An after thought - I kinda agree, kinda disagree with Decay about studying more before even digging in - on one hand, you will have a better grasp of things and be that much faster with more study; but learning is a process that goes on FOREVER, so where can one draw the line? I believe getting your hands dirty is just as practical - if not abit slower - and permanant, as once a VN is translated - nobody ussualy updates/re-translates it.

EDIT2: final thought(I swear) - no matter what, there will always be someone that thinks your translation is shit - there are many that openly scorn the current Fate/Stay Night translation - but myself, and plenty others - think it was done just fine. (but that's a topic for another thread) So, it would only be to your benefit to thicken your skin a little - becuase what Decay said is -nice- compared to some of the critism that exists out there in the web.

Just like real life in that way, if you let what some guy (seewhatidid?) says in passing get to you, you are going to have a pretty stressful life. Keep the best, screw the rest. :)

Edited by Some guy

LOL "you're discouraging me *sob sob* appreciate what I do *sob sob*". Are you a 15 Years old girl? You really need someone to pat your head and say "good work"?

Welcome to the real world, where everything you do will never be good enough. Learn to ignore the mindless critics, and focus on doing what you have to do.

As long it is not a MT, there would always be people who would be "happy" for it. And when you get better, with more knowlege and Experience, you can always fix it o do it again if you're not happy with it.

On topic: Littlewitch Romanesque is 'golden master' :D

LOL "you're discouraging me *sob sob* appreciate what I do *sob sob*". Are you a 15 Years old girl? You really need someone to pat your head and say "good work"?

Welcome to the real world, where everything you do will never be good enough. Learn to ignore the mindless critics, and focus on doing what you have to do.

As long it is not a MT, there would always be people who would be "happy" for it. And when you get better, with more knowlege and Experience, you can always fix it o do it again if you're not happy with it.

On topic: Littlewitch Romanesque is 'golden master' :D

I was 18 years old , but 10 years old kid mentally, and nothing will change as i grown up. Of course i treat a criticism as compliment, but that doesn't mean i can brace a words as it is. any people will got hurt if someone said that their hardwork for a couple of month or more is a same as a piece of shit.

sorry, i know i was exaggerated a bit there. but you are dealing with a 10 years old kid here :v

note:

please don't get me seriously, the way i put those words is merely a joke. i know that will sound like a crying baby, but i just feel like it that way. (i've been predicted someone will read it as if i want a pat in the head, and it's seems my prediction was right.)

Edited by Yu Narukami
I was 18 years old , but 10 years old kid mentally, and nothing will change as i grown up. Of course i treat a criticism as compliment, but that doesn't mean i can brace a words as it is. any people will got hurt if someone said that their hardwork for a couple of month or more is a same as a piece of shit.

sorry, i know i was exaggerated a bit there. but you are dealing with a 10 years old kid here :v

note:

please don't get me seriously, the way i put those words is merely a joke. i know that will sound like a crying baby, but i just feel like it that way. (i've been predicted someone will read it as if i want a pat in the head, and it's seems my prediction was right.)

After reading this post, I really can't wait to see your translation instead.

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf
It's strange, I've lurked on alot of forums, but this place has been anything but elitist as far as attitudes go - some jabs here and there - but honestly a fairly leveled-headed group.

Go fuck yourself. You don't even know what you're talking about. This forum is by far the worst place if you're looking for a visual novel community. If you have any problems you'll be laughed at and if you ask some beginner questions everybody will call you a noob. And don't forget the so called "Visual Novel Translation News" thread which's as accurate as a drunk dart player because the fuckface who is responsible for the thread isn't even able to gather the right informations. People often say erogegames.com is a smorgasbord of people with long e-dicks, and there are damn right. FUCK.THIS.PLACE!!!

people are inviting you into the Secret Mashiro Care Bear Club

There's only one person in this club, and that's me. An inferior existence like you isn't even allowed to mention the club's name btw, asshole.

On a second thought, i think decay and the others might be right.

My apologize, please forgive my ignorance.

Nah, fuck decay and the other people, they're just idiots who want to increase their own reputation through talking down others. If you want to translate a visual novel then do it, nobody has to read your translation after all. And in the worst case you'll just do a re-translation some day if your Japanese skills have improved. End of the story, nobody has to cry.

[/irony]

Also, that roman bath steam picture was hot. Just imagined myself being there with Dan and Desi ... it was awesome.

Ooooh, that's how you get likes here, by taking shit about the site. I knew I was doing something wrong. Fuck this place.

But to be fair, aren't most "communities" on the net like that? I can't think of many places that don't have "If you have any problems you'll be laughed at and if you ask some beginner questions everybody will call you a noob" or worse. Seems fairly normal to me.

Edited by killerinsidee
It can't be helped.
Go fuck yourself. You don't even know what you're talking about. This forum is by far the worst place if you're looking for a visual novel community. If you have any problems you'll be laughed at and if you ask some beginner questions everybody will call you a noob. And don't forget the so called "Visual Novel Translation News" thread which's as accurate as a drunk dart player because the fuckface who is responsible for the thread isn't even able to gather the right informations. People often say erogegames.com is a smorgasbord of people with long e-dicks, and there are damn right. FUCK.THIS.PLACE!!!

There's only one person in this club, and that's me. An inferior existence like you isn't even allowed to mention the club's name btw, asshole.

Nah, fuck decay and the other people, they're just idiots who want to increase their own reputation through talking down others. If you want to translate a visual novel then do it, nobody has to read your translation after all. And in the worst case you'll just do a re-translation some day if your Japanese skills have improved. End of the story, nobody has to cry.

[/irony]

Also, that roman bath steam picture was hot. Just imagined myself being there with Dan and Desi ... it was awesome.

This post has taken me on a rollercoaster of emotions.

This post has taken me on a rollercoaster of emotions.

Get a hold there, that's just a words. don't to worry about it.

Not sure if this qualifies as news here but for anyone interested Valkyria Chronicles got released on the PC a couple of days ago. You can pick it up on Steam. Or wherever.

Well, i know already that they are planing to release it on PC. But, i never thought that it'll come this fast.