So have you people ever bought any type of visual novels/eroges?

Just wondering how many people actually bought visual novels, I know most people don't but there are those times in which the VN gets really good and you buy that single one on a rare occasion, and yes visual novels/eroges tend to be expensive to import. Feel free to share your pictures of your collection :D

Hmm, I've been wanting to buy the Phoenix Wright games, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Generally speaking I don't support Mangagamer or Jast just because I'm kinda prejudiced against them for ruining several good fan translations, but I would definitely consider importing games if I had a better cash inflow and/or didn't have to worry about legal issues getting it shipped over state borders.

When I first got into VN's I did indeed buy some games. I've posted the story elsewhere here on these forums in the how did you get into eroge thread, so I won't re-type it here.

To a question of if I would buy any now... that's difficult. My financial situation is in a horrible state. To be able to even entertain the idea of paying money for something it would have to be amazing. Even then, I probably wouldn't take that extra effort, when my money could be used on other more vital things.

I have a hard time fooling myself that money I spend on games, music, movies, etc goes to the proper people. About the only thing I've bought over the past years have been the Humble Indie Bundles, because you get to say how you want your money shared amongst distributors, and publishers, and advertisers, oh and that little known group called the creators.

I suppose this is also why I have absolutely no problem with pirated software, music, or film. I wouldn't be taking a sale from someone, that's the foolish thinking of people who want to force others to pay them. If I had money to spend on hobbies and entertainment, it might be very different, but I honestly doubt it. Currently, I experience the games, spread the word of what I like to others and hope that games I enjoy others enjoy as well, and that eventually would trickle down to the developers. The sad part is, even I know this is a pipe dream. Trends and the 'Industry' will do what they want, no matter what happens to me. I truly believe that I have no control whatsoever on anything entertainment related, I just have to take what I can, enjoy what I can, and not get overwhelmed by it.

Some might call me negative, or the worst kind of pirate. However, I do honestly do believe these things. 'Copyright' and 'official consumerism' disgust me to no end. It also depresses me when I think about stuff like this, so I usually blow it off and try not to. Call it what you will, I feel strongly about it.

Hmm, I've been wanting to buy the Phoenix Wright games, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Generally speaking I don't support Mangagamer or Jast just because I'm kinda prejudiced against them for ruining several good fan translations, but I would definitely consider importing games if I had a better cash inflow and/or didn't have to worry about legal issues getting it shipped over state borders.

You should definitely try to get PW games, they're awesome :D.

To the question: I almost did buy Go Go Nippon in Mangagamer. It was more of a testing and I wanted to try playing Eroges in the PC (my first time), then I found this site, which was a good thing :D. Ive played a few VNs in the iPhone, including PW. (I had to buy those)

Some might call me negative, or the worst kind of pirate. However, I do honestly do believe these things. 'Copyright' and 'official consumerism' disgust me to no end. It also depresses me when I think about stuff like this, so I usually blow it off and try not to. Call it what you will, I feel strongly about it.

I'm sure you'll get more sympathy here than you would elsewhere, but I would tend to agree with you. The nice thing about the Eroge industry is that even big-name studios like Key still tend to be fairly small. If you were to import eroge a decent amount of money would go to the distributor, but a higher-than-average percentage of money would also go to the developers. This is of course out of necessity, as the demand for eroge is low(As compared to manga, for instance), and the amount of money floating around in the industry is similarly low.

Japan tends to be a particularly sick offender when it comes to ripping off developers. Some of their animators make minimum-wage type salaries when you consider the 70+ hours they work every week.

I haven't bought any as of yet, mainly 'cause I don't want my family to see those kind of games.

And yeah, also because I really don't want to buy any of the translated version of games, but rather the japanese ones.

I think of buying them though, as soon as I feel confident enough in reading japanese :p

Especially some for my PSP.

Will I buy one: Maybe eventually

Right now: No. I don't have any cash to my name right now.

Have I ever: Nope

Do I want to buy one: Yeah I do. Well depending on how much I like the game. I'd never buy a game if it'd cost me more then $60 - $70 (which is about how much brand new retail games cost). So importing a game tends to go over that, quite often. Plus I don't feel VN's are worth more then $30 at the most (Then again my sense of cash is probably slightly warped. I tend to think most stuff aren't worth what they cost.)

Plus my train of thought about pirating Eroge/VN's. I'm sure most of them aren't even expecting to get any money from anywhere other then Japan. So I don't think that they would care much that people on the other side of the world aren't paying for their game.

Edited by superBlast

I haven't ever bought one, but I really want to buy at least a few good ones, like Fate or G-Senjou. Problem is, I'm a U.S. college student with no income to speak of. Plus, if somebody ever discovered the game hidden in my closet or something, I'd have some explaining to do. Once I have a job and place of my own, though, I think I'll go take another look at that importing guide I read online once...

Actually if it was me I wouldn't hide it. If they seen it I'd just say "Just don't worry about it ok? It'd be best if you just pay no attention to it." Also I'd be saying it in as straight of a face as I could put up.

That's a bold strategy... It's so crazy, it just might work lol. Depends on if the person you're talking to is easily distracted or can let things go without asking questions.

Lol, all my parents had to say when they saw wallscrolls (only a bit indecent and is the only thing is a bit indecent in my room) is that "at least my son isn't gay" which kinda hurt but hey at least i can have it lol

1.Getting Eroge/VN: Hard

2.Getting a working Eroge/VN: Insane

3.Buying and downloading Eroge/VN online that works with poor connection: Just f**king shoot yourself in the head

Money for survival in real life: Revive yourself if you died, cut your d**k off and beg for money outside a fast food restaurant.

Downloading eroge/vn from Eroge Download: I will survive even the apocalypse, and i will be happy..

1.Getting Eroge/VN: Hard

2.Getting a working Eroge/VN: Insane

3.Buying and downloading Eroge/VN online that works with poor connection: Just f**king shoot yourself in the head

Money for survival in real life: Revive yourself if you died, cut your d**k off and beg for money outside a fast food restaurant.

Downloading eroge/vn from Eroge Download: I will survive even the apocalypse, and i will be happy..

This is so true that I want to cry.