Hoshizora no Memoria problems

Hoshizora problem-free installation guide

--------------------------------------------

Since the 1.2 patch(and probably the last) got released, here are detailed instructions on how to install the game so it works properly and without any issues listed below. I tested the game a whole lot and this is the best possible way that I could get it to run without any problems.

1. Get the game - Make sure that the files are not corrupted. If they are, the game will crash on certain parts (re-download if that is the case).

2. Make sure that your system is in Japanese locale - Instructions on how to switch the locale are Here(Win7) and Here(WinXP). Do NOT use AppLocale (it may not work properly with it)

3. Install the game normally - Do not change the default install path (On Win7 it's - C:\Program Files\CROSSNET\Memoria)

4. Install the official game update - It can be found Here. Unpack it and install it. Note that this is not the English patch and it needs to be installed before it. If you don't install it, you will get all sorts of errors and/or crashes while playing.

5. Install the Staircase Hoshizora English Patch 1.0 - It can be found Here. Now, what you do NOT want to install with this patch is the Subbed OP and the Font. Here's a picture of what you should install. You do not install the movie since it may cause your game to freeze and the only thing you lose from not installing it is the song translation which is not a big deal. The font will be installed separately.

6. Copy the Staircase Hoshizora English Patch 1.2 - It can be found Here. Unpack it and copy the contents of it to the Hoshizora folder (On Win7 it's - C:\Program Files\CROSSNET\Memoria). Be sure that you overwrite the files while copying.

7. Install the font & delete the dolphins - While you're still in the folder, you should see a file called Staircase Subs Custom.ttf (If you copied the 1.2 patch), right click on it and click Install, that will install the font you need. Note that installing the font on WinXP is slightly different, font install instructions for XP can be found Here. Also in the game folder you will see a folder called graph_vis (NOT the .bin file), delete it so you don't get any censorship while playing. Note: If you're using Win7 64 or Vista, check if you have a folder - "C:\Users\\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Pro gram Files\CROSSNET\Memoria." and delete the graph_vis folder from it if it's there.

8. Profit...not just yet - Start the game from the MemoriaEN shortcut or exe and go to the options. On Page 2 you will find a place where you can select the font, pick Staircase Subs Custom from the drop-down menu, otherwise you will have issues with the broken text.

If you followed these steps and didn't fail along the way, then you successfully installed the game and you won't have any problems that are mentioned below. Have fun and feel free to post any other problems that you may encounter while playing.

In case you got the UnTroll patches already, here's the install guide by some guy - https://erogegames.com/eroge-visual-novels/eroge-tech-support/475-hoshizora-no-memoria-problems-12/#post13718

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you may have heard, the English translation came out today and it's not exactly bug free. So far I've found 2 issues, nothing major just some minor annoyances. So I though I'd share the solutions in case anyone else is having the same problems.

Issue #1: The shortcut is broken - the shortcut created from the English patch doesn't work for me. It starts from "C:\Windows\Fonts" location instead of "C:\Program Files\CROSSNET\Memoria" and it won't run like that. Just run the game from the executable - MemoriaEN.exe or make a new shortcut. Update: This issue got fixed with the Staircase 1.1 update patch.

Update 2#: If you don't install the font via 1.0 patch installer, your shortcut will not be broken.

Issue #2: The custom font disappear after restart - There is some sort of problem with the Staircase Sub Custom fonts. They are required to properly read the English translation, otherwise the text is broken all over the place(Note: You need to select these font in the in-game options menu). They work just fine, until I restart my PC and they disappear. Re-installation of the patch is required for them to show up in the game again(at the font drop down menu). I though it'd be really annoying to install the patch every time I restarted the PC, so there is a simple fix for it. Open hoshimemo_full_english_patch_1_0.exe with 7-zip(Right Click->7-zip->Open Archive), go to $Fonts and copy Staircase Subs Custom.ttf file to the Desktop. Install that font(Right Click->Install) and they will no longer disappear after restarting the PC. Update: Staircase Subs Custom.ttf is now included separately in the 1.2 patch, so it's is no longer needed to extract it from the installer. It still needs to be installed as instructed above.

Issue #3: Mare HCGs(hentai images) are censored - Someone discovered that the guys Staircase Subs completely censored the loli(true route Mare) HCGs. This is what you get when viewing Mare HGC - http://i42.tinypic.com/2a0mk5y.jpg.

There is a simple fix to remove the damn dolphins. Install the game normally, with 1.1 update and English patch(you don't need to re-install it or anything). Go to - C:\Program Files\CROSSNET\Memoria, find graph_vis folder and delete it. Make sure you delete the FOLDER, not the graph_vis.bin since that file contains all the game CGs. Note: For Win7 x64 and Vista users the graph_vis folder may be located in C:\Users\\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Crossnet\Memoria. Update: Staircase 1.1 update patch censored it again, read Issue #3.a. Update 2#: Patch 1.1 is no longer used.

Issue #3.a: The Staircase update patch 1.1 censored the HCGs again - Only deleting the graph_vis folder no longer fixes this problem, because the new(1.1) exe re-creates the folder if it's missing when you run the game. You need to go to your Hoshizora game folder, delete graph_vis folder again(if it's there again) and create an empty file(not folder) named graph_vis - Create a new text file -> name it graph_vis and delete the .txt extension. That way the censoring folder will not be re-created anymore. I have tested it just now and this fix works perfectly. Note: Win7 x64 users may have a copy of graph_vis folder in C:\Users\\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Crossnet\Memoria. If you find the folder there, do the same as above. Once again, thanks to the guy that found a fix for this, much appreciated. Update: Grab the HoshimemoUntrollPatchV2a to fix this issue altogether. Update #2: Patch 1.1 is no longer used, so this issue is no longer relevant.

Issue #4: Some people have problems playing the subbed Opening Movie / the game stops after it ends - At the part of the game when the movie starts, a separate window opens and the movie plays in it instead. When it ends, the game screen stays black and won't continue. There are 2 solutions for this one. First one, if you don't want to re-install the game - just delete the "movie" folder and when you get to the part where the movie should start, it will skip it altogether and the game will continue normally. For the second solution you need to re-install the game, install CCCP codec pack(if you don't have it already) and when installing the Staircase English patch(not the Untroll one) choose NOT TO install the OP Movie. That way the game will load the original Japanese movie instead. Only thing that will be missing is the subtitles, which is not that big of a deal for a 2min movie. Note: I also installed the DirectX from the game disc while testing this, not sure if it helped or not.

Issue #5: d3dx9_29.dll is missing - DirectX related issue. If you get any errors related to this file, here's how to fix it. This file can be found it on the game disc in the directx folder. Find Feb2006_d3dx9_29_x86.cab there and extract/unrar it to the game folder. Thanks for mentioning this one, since I didn't have this problem myself.

Issue #6: Autoskip is broken after the common route - The game basically skips through all text(read and unread) after the common route. There is no fix for this, since it's a bug from the game itself and not from the English patch. You can hold the CTRL button to skip, it may help a bit. Update: There is a possible workaround for this issue (not 100 % tested yet). More info about it can be found Here.

Issue #7: Various graph_bs\... errors during gameplay - Some people reported getting graph_bs/... errors on some parts of the game. A clean re-install did not solve it, nor did downloading from a different source (in case of corrupted files). A possible solution that may fix it: Go to the Control Panel -> Region and Language settings (to the first tab - Format) and change the format of Time and Date to Japanese(Japan). Note: this is NOT the same thing as the system locale change, it's a separate option under Region and Language settings. I didn't get this error and I can't replicate it, so there's no way for me to test this fix. A bit more info on this issue can be found Here.

If I run into more issues, I'll update the post. Feel free to post any problems you run into as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guy made a repacked patch that fixes the HGC censoring. You can grab the HoshimemoUntrollPatchV1.rar and instructions here - https://erogegames.com/eroge-visual-novels/eroge-tech-support/475-hoshizora-no-memoria-problems-2/#post9076

Staircase Subs released a 1.1 patch update, get it here - hoshimemo_english_patch_update_1_1.exe

This patch fixes the shortcut issue and grammar mistakes, BUT it re-introduces the CG censoring. Read Issue #3.a Update: This patch is no longer used.

Hoshimemo Untroll Patch got updated as well. Get the HoshimemoUntrollPatchV2 & info here - https://erogegames.com/eroge-visual-novels/eroge-tech-support/475-hoshizora-no-memoria-problems-6/#post9908 Update: This release is deprecated, use HoshimemoUntrollPatchV2b instead.

HoshimemoUntroll Patch V2b is out, it removes the censorship dolphins again. Download links and info here - https://erogegames.com/eroge-visual-novels/eroge-tech-support/475-hoshizora-no-memoria-problems-8/#post10177

Staircase Subs released a 1.2 patch update, get it here - Hoshimemo_english_patch_update_1.2.rar

Edited by killerinsidee
  • Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus Christ..after reinstalling and installing this several times because i couldn't get the english patch to work, I found out that i'm an idiot. I had to run the MemoriaEN shortcut and not the regular Memoria.exe shortcut located in the folder.

Jesus Christ..after reinstalling and installing this several times because i couldn't get the english patch to work, I found out that i'm an idiot. I had to run the MemoriaEN shortcut and not the regular Memoria.exe shortcut located in the folder.

It's time for the famous...

double facepalm.jpg

Since i don't really feel like starting a new thread just to ask this question i will ask it here.

Chinami is she gonna stay annoying like that for the whole game ?

If that the case i should quit playing now before i get crazy...

Someone discovered that the guys Staircase Subs completely censored the loli(true route Mare) HCGs. This is what you get when viewing Mare HGC - http://i42.tinypic.com/2a0mk5y.jpg.

There is a simple fix to remove the damn dolphins. Install the game normally, with 1.1 update and English patch(you don't need to re-install it or anything). Go to - C:\Program Files\CROSSNET\Memoria, find graph_vis folder and delete it. Make sure you delete the FOLDER, not the graph_vis.bin since that file contains all the game CGs.

The graph_vis folder contains files like MARE_e08a and they are all the same size since they contain the same Dolphin picture which overwrites the original CGs. Deleting the graph_vis folder will just make the CGs load from the original file, instead of the censored folder. Doing this will in no way damage your game or anything like that.

I tested this with a 100% save, this fix works perfectly.

Edited by killerinsidee
Someone should just repack the patch into .zip or .rar without graph_vis folder (instead of its current NSIS installer form) because they can't even make a proper patch and apparently you have to install the font and recreate the shortcut manually anyway.

I would, but I got not clue how to do it.

As promised, untrolled (dolphin-free) translation of Hoshimemo.

HoshimemoUntrollPatchV1.rar

Download Hoshimemo Untroll PatchV1 rar

Unpack to the game's folder, install/open* Staircase Subs Custom.ttf font, run MemoriaEN.exe to play.

It's already prepatched, that is, contains files from both official 1.1 patch and translation patch, including subbed movie; you don't need anything else except the actual game files.

If you don't have the game installed, copy Memoria folder from "program files\CROSSNET" folder on a DVD anywhere you want, and extract the archive there, it will run just fine.

* Font may or may not persist between reboots depending on your system. If you install it and it disappears after reboot, open (double click) it every time you want to play the game, minimize its window and start the game. Close its window when you're done playing.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Unpack to the game's folder, install/open* Staircase Subs Custom.ttf font, run MemoriaEN.exe to play.

It's already prepatched, that is, contains files from both official 1.1 patch and translation patch, including subbed movie; you don't need anything else except the actual game files.

If you don't have the game installed, copy Memoria folder from "program files\CROSSNET" folder on a DVD anywhere you want, and extract the archive there, it will run just fine.

Hey there I have done exactly what u said and tried both variants but everytime I start the game the black window pops up and I get this error message:

C:\users\"myname"\Documents/FAVORITE/???????/save/s901.bin....after that there are like 10 weird signs

any ideas what is causing the problem? I reinstalled the game several times and no matter what I do everytime I get the error from above

any help would be appreciated :)

Hey there I have done exactly what u said and tried both variants but everytime I start the game the black window pops up and I get this error message:

C:\users\"myname"\Documents/FAVORITE/???????/save/s901.bin....after that there are like 10 weird signs

any ideas what is causing the problem? I reinstalled the game several times and no matter what I do everytime I get the error from above

any help would be appreciated :)

Your Windows is not set to Japanese Locale. Change it or use AppLocale.

I would also recommend that you re-install the game under Japanese locale so that your folder doesn't look like this - FAVORITE/???????/save. There will be Japanese letters instead of ?????? when you install it properly.

Edited by killerinsidee

Ouuuu I feel so stupid right now -____- jeah of course I have to start it via applocale it works perfectly fine now I didnt have much trouble with japanese games in the the past weeks and tbh I forgot about applocale ........

so everything is allright now so thx for the untrolled patch and thx for the help :D

I keep getting an error message saying that I lack 'graph_vis/YUME_e01a'. Anyone else run into this, or have a fix for it?

There are 2 things I think of that can cause this.

1. You did not apply the Official 1.1 patch fix before the english patch (if you used the original .exe patch instead of the Untroll repack)

2. You didn't download all the files or some of them are corrupted. You may need to redownload the corrupted parts. Did you get a CRC error when unpacking the game ?

Also make sure that your system is in Japanese locale or run the game with AppLocale to avoid further problems.

Edited by killerinsidee
There are 2 things I think of that can cause this.

1. You did not apply the Official 1.1 patch fix before the english patch (if you used the original .exe patch instead of the Untroll repack)

2. You didn't download all the files or some of them are corrupted. You may need to redownload the corrupted parts. Did you get a CRC error when unpacking the game ?

Also make sure that your system is in Japanese locale or run the game with AppLocale to avoid further problems.

I used the UnTroll pack, I didn't get a CRC error, and I made sure that I have Japanese locale when installing.

I used the UnTroll pack, I didn't get a CRC error, and I made sure that I have Japanese locale when installing.

Try to copy & replace graph_vis.bin from the ISO. If that doesn't work then something must be corrupted. The error you are getting is indicating that you are missing a CG image and all CGs are located in graph_vis.bin.

It's strange, because we all lack "graph_vis/YUME_e01a" file, it's already inside graph_vis.bin and isn't overriden/changed by any patches. Maybe your graph_vis.bin is damaged? Compare it to the one on the DVD, it should be 1*030*560*940 bytes long and should have CRC32 of 53E4F5D2. If in doubt, manually copy it from DVD to your game folder. If this doesn't help, save game just before this error appears and upload save files for me to have a look at. Save files are located in \save subfolder of game folder (on WinXP) or in C:\Users\\Documents\FAVORITE\星空のメモリア (on Win7). Pack them into .7z/.zip/.rar for convenience.

Sending a save won't help since your files are fine. I got the same error that he's getting when I was testing what graph_vis.bin actually does. I deleted graph_vis.bin, went to the CG gallery and tried to load any character CG. It crashed with a similar error. The game just can't load that specific CG at that point of the game, same would happen if the whole file(graph_vis.bin) is missing.

Edited by killerinsidee
Judging by the lack of replies, Xohm Erune is busy reading Hoshimemo after fixing his problem.

As for the save files, they're needed for me to try and reproduce the problem if (I repeat, IF) he has a correct file and still gets the same error.

Basically, I was looking one step ahead because translation team said they're going to release another patch to resolve problems they will have been informed of by then, and the more problems we find that they can reproduce, the better.

Fair enough. I was looking around the net if someone else had the same issue, but I couldn't find anything about it so I doubt that it's a common issue.

Edited by killerinsidee