Opposite Gender Main Character

Ok at the risk of sounding sexist I wanted to know your feelings on the subject.

When it comes to anime or vn's I prefer Male main characters to female. I believe it's due to the fact I'm a guy and it puts me off by trying to follow a female perspective.But It's not like I hate female characters,its the opposite.Some of my favorite characters are female but they are all ways the bad ass types.

Examples

Major Motoko Kusanagi: 43866.jpg And Rebecca Aka Revy Two Hands 29117.jpg

I can remember more bad ass female characters than I can male.Even so I prefer a male lead just because it's easier for me to relate to.

So my question is how do you feel about opposite gender main characters.

Very tricky question, when the main character is a girl and she get raped is not very funny, x-change fro example its hard NOT to get raped.

Yes i prefer male character, because i HATE when they are raped ha ha.:eek: Monster girl quest is another history.

About animes, either one is fine i think.

Mixed feelings indeed...

The only games I've played that have a female protag are X-Change 1 and Sono Hanabira series. I had no problems with the female protags, but I guess they don't really count because they are gender bender and yuri. I don't think I would have much problems with playing some "normal" VN with a female protag either. I am yet to play Shikkoku no Sharnoth -What a Beautiful Tomorrow-, which has a female protag. Hopefully I'll play it soon enough and see how it'll be like.

Edited by killerinsidee
The only games I've played that have a female protag are X-Change 1 and Sono Hanabira series. I had no problems with the female protags, but I guess they don't really count because they are gender bender and yuri. I don't think I would have much problems with playing some "normal" VN with a female protag either. I am yet to play Shikkoku no Sharnoth -What a Beautiful Tomorrow-, which has a female protag. Hopefully I'll play it soon enough and see how it'll be like.

shikoku no sharnoth are nice...

just the mini games are annoying...

and most female protag always ends up with rape,,tentacle mostly

because most female protag game are from lilith~~

Since this thread is in "social/general discussion" i assume you're refering to all games, not only VNs. Correct me if i'm wrong...

It usually makes me no difference whether i'm playing as male or female. However, you can split games into 3 categories:

-both sexes available. No gameplay effects. - Since it's all about looks, i'm usually picking the one that looks better/more fitting - skimpy-plate armor warior princesses etc or opposite - manly alpha male mowing down enemies with gattling gun while smoking a cigaro... Some roles/styles have pre-defined sexes for me - for example healer will always be a woman (yes, you can call me sexist now)

-no gameplay effect, strong lore background - Diablo3 is a classic example of this one - they added choice but it's obvious what sex each class is intended to be. Playing female monk just feels odd, while male wizzard is whimpy and kinda gay - female sounds lively and spunky. Choice is obvious.

-sex heavy impacts gameplay - different quests/endings. - i usuall play both sexes to see whole story.

Indeed Motoko from Ghost In The Shell is probably one of the most badass female mains I've ever seen.

Specially when she went all tits up on this guy..

[video=youtube;-56mT6durto]

Very interesting topic. In the old days I prefered male chars just because. No seriously, I've no idea why but probably because I wanted to be that character. But these days I choose the gender randomly. You've many games were female chars looks way better. Well I tend to play as male chars though. Anyway, as for visual novels, I don't care about the gender of the protagonist. I had my doubts, played sharnoth and had no problems with mary. Actually, I found her fuckin hot. But I think that I don't want to read sex scenes through the eyes of a female char...nah.

Well, in Visual Novels I think I like it more to play as a male character, 'cause (like OneManArmy said) I want to feel like I could be the character.

On the other hand, I've never played a VN with a female main character, so I might actually like it more that way..who knows.

In Anime/Manga I actually prefer it when the main characters are female. (Probably 'cause I dislike action and like slow - paced, relaxing stuff more)

And yeah, in other games, I'd always prefer to play as a female character as well.

I just like it more to play as a beautiful girl, rather than some muscularly guy..

(like OneManArmy said) I want to feel like I could be the character.

Woops!

ops.jpg

That's not what I wanted to say. I was talking about normal pc games like rpg and stuff. In my childhood I prefered to play as a male character because I wanted to be that guy, the same goes NOT for visual novels. It's actually the other way around. I never put myself into the shoes of the protagonist, I want to read/see the story from an outside position. Oh and I also played an otome game btw, The Second Reproduction, wasn't that bad, doesn't contain any real love scenes though.

Regarding VNs i'll have to say that i prefer a male protagonist, i don't know it seems more fitting to me (maybe because the vast majority of the vns that i played had a male protagonist and i have gotten used to the idea). For anime and other games i have no problem but i prefer it when we are given the opportunity to choose.

Well when it comes to Vn's I want a male M.C get because Vn's give you tons of info about the M.C like how they feel , Internal monologue and I don't want to romance a guy ever. If it has sex scenes that make it even weirder for me because of the female perspective.

When it comes to Non-VN Games I share Ivan's point of view it depends on the role of the character I'm making and the effect on the game it has.

(And if you cant make a character she will still need to be badass.... 250px-Lightxiii.PNG Yea that will do)

Anime I can watch a female lead but I prefer not to. (unless she is just awesome)

I need it to be a guy to connect, but this is in terms of straightness, for example, if the chicks dig him, i can connect, therefore i can like the heroines, but if this was a yaoi anime, then fk connecting, i dont want that in my system, no offense O_O.

But, in the case of Black Lagoon, Rick or Rock or w/e his face was was just too useless for me to even want to connect w. him so Revy was a fine maincharacter, i gues sometimes it isnt about the sex but their actual character.

I think i let off alot of animes just b/c they were female mains. O_O, in any those cases, i didn't believe the anime itself was right for me anyways.

A non animated female lead badass would be.. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNN

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Resident-Evil-Afterlife-Alice.jpg

If they put her into an Anime, I'd buy the BD

But, in the case of Black Lagoon, Rick or Rock or w/e his face was was just too useless for me to even want to connect w. him so Revy was a fine maincharacter, i gues sometimes it isnt about the sex but their actual character.

Well Rock was useless most of the time in black lagoon but in Black Lagoon Roberta's blood Trail he becomes a master mind and does work.But I cant hate on Rock dude the idea of the anime is Girls With Guns and if you didn't realize the only guy that could hang with the girls was Chang so that is the Genre fault.