• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm bored so I read this guy post one more time and found some annoying stuff. -,-"

Where your talking about "casual" and "skilled" you usually imply a depth(information regarding the game, commonly called "burden of knowledge") or skill or some sort of mechanical learning curve. I see none in visual novels.

No one mention anything about skill except you. Change the word "skilled" into "hardcore" and your argument points which is "depth(information regarding the game, commonly called "burden of knowledge") or skill or some sort of mechanical learning curve. I see none in visual novels." become invalid.

"skilled"usually imply a depth(information regarding the game, commonly called "burden of knowledge") or skill or some sort of mechanical learning curve. I see none in visual novels..

Unfortunately, even though it's invalid, I had no choice but to elaborate on this since this is a false statement. *sighed* So you see none of the above traits in VN?

Well, if you haven't play it yet, I suggest that you play this, and this.

Then come back and tell me that there's no mechanical learning curve, skill, and "depth" in VNs.

VN are fairly easy to read and understand.

Orly? :rolleyes:

Hrm, if you haven't read it yet, then try reading this, this, and finally this.

After that, come back and tell me that VN is fairly easy to read and understand.

The casual readers vs insightful readers only applies when your reading a book of that caliber imo

So, between LN/books and VNs, VNs doesn't have that kind of caliber.

Hrm...Somehow, I find that insulting and annoying.

Well, I guess it's enough for this discussion since I'm bored already. I could show an ex. between casual VN reader and hardcore VN reader, but nah. Doesn't worth the hassle.

My parents know I watch Anime. I even watched some with my mom. The last one we finished together was FMA. She also knows that I play VN's and that F/SN has sex in it. But that's the only one she knows that has that in it. though I never told her about my Yuri ones. I love the Sono Hanabria series. But I'm allowed to play them none the less. I just never would allow her to see me playing the sex scenes in the VN's I have. to damn embarrassing.

Having read the latest discussion in this thread i must point out a couple of things:

- Implying that sadder, 'darker' and/or melodramatic equals better 'depth' (deeper stuff!!... which i suppose equates to better quality) is ridiculous.

- Implying that people who don't like forced melodrama and depressing stuff are somewhat superficial and/or incapable of understanding such is especially ridiculous.

- Implying (or rather, outright claiming) that VN's (translated, and so far) are not easy to read and understand, that is, very simple writing, is entirely dependant upon one's own reading level, literary knowledge and capabilities. As simple as that. To put it in D&D terms; when you're low to mid level you might think Charm, Stinking Cloud or Fireball to be superb spells, but when you've reached high levels and cast things like Chain Contingencies, Time Stops and Summon Planetars... not so much.

- When it comes to things that don't have gameplay elements and are just what the name says 'visual novels' there cannot be any 'casual', 'skilled' or 'hardcore' categories discussion outside the fact that it just relates to the enjoyment levels of the genre, that is, how much do you like it and how much time do you spend on it. Basically it's just: "i like it more than you for i have tried them more than you (including the better written ones) so i'm a 'hardcore' vn reader while you are a 'casual' one".

- Now, when it comes to things that do have gameplay mechanics, yes, i agree on the usage of the aforementioned categories as they relate to the effort involved in both dominating and understanding such gameplay elements to a high degree of competency or mastery... But, as this seems like quite the niche, i don't see much in the way of mainstreaming 'streamlining' dumbing down seen in other gaming genres happening here.

- Implying (or rather, outright claiming) that VN's (translated, and so far) are not easy to read and understand, that is, very simple writing, is entirely dependant upon one's own reading level, literary knowledge and capabilities. As simple as that. To put it in D&D terms; when you're low to mid level you might think Charm, Stinking Cloud or Fireball to be superb spells, but when you've reached high levels and cast things like Chain Contingencies, Time Stops and Summon Planetars... not so much.

- When it comes to things that don't have gameplay elements and are just what the name says 'visual novels' there cannot be any 'casual', 'skilled' or 'hardcore' categories discussion outside the fact that it just relates to the enjoyment levels of the genre, that is, how much do you like it and how much time do you spend on it. Basically it's just: "i like it more than you for i have tried them more than you (including the better written ones) so i'm a 'hardcore' vn reader while you are a 'casual' one".

- Now, when it comes to things that do have gameplay mechanics, yes, i agree on the usage of the aforementioned categories as they relate to the effort involved in both dominating and understanding such gameplay elements to a high degree of competency or mastery... But, as this seems like quite the niche, i don't see much in the way of mainstreaming 'streamlining' dumbing down seen in other gaming genres happening here.

i think he/she implying to relativity theory? basically everything will became different value on different standpoint

and gerard that one is an overkill

Implying that what i wrote isn't true.

Also,

1/10

Stop posturing.

serious just die you faggot...

all you wrote are stuffs that even the minority aint having problems with..

just you and you alone cant be MAN enough to take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm bored so I read this guy post one more time and found some annoying stuff. -,-"

No one mention anything about skill except you. Change the word "skilled" into "hardcore" and your argument points which is "depth(information regarding the game, commonly called "burden of knowledge") or skill or some sort of mechanical learning curve. I see none in visual novels." become invalid.

Unfortunately, even though it's invalid, I had no choice but to elaborate on this since this is a false statement. *sighed* So you see none of the above traits in VN?

Well, if you haven't play it yet, I suggest that you play this, and this.

Then come back and tell me that there's no mechanical learning curve, skill, and "depth" in VNs.

Orly? :rolleyes:

Hrm, if you haven't read it yet, then try reading this, this, and finally this.

After that, come back and tell me that VN is fairly easy to read and understand.

So, between LN/books and VNs, VNs doesn't have that kind of caliber.

Hrm...Somehow, I find that insulting and annoying.

Well, I guess it's enough for this discussion since I'm bored already. I could show an ex. between casual VN reader and hardcore VN reader, but nah. Doesn't worth the hassle.

thank you for the suggestions, i will certainly play them when i have the time. Like i said, i am new to these boards(and perhaps newer to vn's itself..compared to maybe some of you), if you feel the need to correct me, please do so earlier before i embarrass myself :D

Like i said, i am new to these boards(and perhaps newer to vn's itself..compared to maybe some of you), if you feel the need to correct me, please do so earlier before i embarrass myself :D

I want to apologize for ulti's behaviour and I know that I'm late but welcome to the board.