Visual Novels Translation Status [10/21/2012]

yeah i saw that but was hoping from a review from someone here who played it, or knows about it. I have never really been a fan of vndb, while it is a review i prefer others, thanks though

I have only played Chihaya route of rewrite.But here is a summary review of rewrite.

Rewrite unlike other VNs from KEY,break the formula of slice of life + a little supernatural=masterpiece.

Rewrite is more like supernatural + little slice of life formula.Still a Nakige,that fact hasn't changed.

Also Rewrite is the first VN from KEY with two OPs.

Comedy:Rewrite is the most hilarious VN from KEY(funniest VN I have played so far). There are many parodies in rewrite,more than Majikoi.Parodies are mainly from animes(pokemon,doraemon,etc),mangas and Japanese dramas. The protagonist,Tennouji Kotarou is a easy-going and carefree guy.Like to tease others especially Yoshino. Most of the comedy comes from him and Yoshino with kotarou teasing Yoshino and Yoshino retorting him back. The best one so far is "YO-SHI-NO" song . KEY spend a 3 minutes animation scenes just to make a funny song of Yoshino. So,you can see KEY put a great effort in making the VN hilarious.

Characters:The heroines in Rewrite are not cliched heroines who u will see everywhere. Childhood friends who reject MC confession,Air-headed and clusmy girl with inhuman strength,a gamer,wealthy senpai heroine with no senpai-aura,a cute and honest kouhai heroine who don't speak much(and eye-patch) and don't use honorifics to everyone and finally a tsundere heroine with clean-freak trait and spice eating master title.Sound great,right ? There is also a sixth heroine but she is a hidden character so I will leave her out. Every characters in rewrite are enjoyable. Their personalities are so diverse that you will not see two people with same personality in the entire VN. The main character,Tennouji Kotaou is also a likeable MC. Carefree,easy-going and like to meddle other affairs but take actions when it is to protect his friends. Also unlike some MC of fantasy-action VN,he is not that overprotective(*Cough*Shirou*Cough*). He is also active in love-affair. He know others feelings and confess when the timing is right,protect the one he loves with his life and overall,know how to read the mood. If there is H-scene,I am pretty sure he is a sadist.

Story:Now onto the main-dish of the VN,story. First thing u need to know is Rewrite is not a typical slice of life VN. It contains action scene and that is the main part of the story. The construction of Rewrite story is "one-story,different approach" story. Basically,the basic of the story is same for every heroine u choose but the approach to that story will differ according to your heroine. So,no heroine feel like they have been left-over or un-satifying. Just Chihaya routes and storyline becomes clear so u will like every heroine route. I haven't played the true route yet but from my playing experience,true route is sometimes along the line of how kotarou will save the world(Yes,the scale of rewrite battle is great) or how he will change that girl fate.Anyways,it will be worth reaching.

Art:Obviously,since Rewrite is the latest VN of KEY,the CGs are also more colorful and attractive than previous key titles. There are over 100 + CGs ,each heroine about 15 CGs. Nothing to resent here. Let move on.

Sound:So you want to know the quality of BGMs from KEY ? Just one word,AWESOME. KEY is well-known for its smoothing and heart-warning BGMs. That still stand true in Rewrite. Over 50 + BGMs are used and there is an exclusive BGM for every situtation you encounter. Simply,amazing. The OP song of Rewrtie is Philosophyz is also a good and powerful song. Just one flaw in this category,ending song sucks.(at least for me). Voice-acting are also excellent(Kotori is the honarable mention). Every character and their voices fix perfectly.(Although there are some people who found Akane voice to be annoying).

Fan service:That sound stupid coming from KEY. But hey,KEY start to use panty CG in Little busters so it is not that surprising. There is a panty CG of Akane(u need to pray to look at her panty ;) ) and u will get a kotori-sucking scene if u finish her quest "Say it with flowers" . By the way,it is just finger-sucking ,don't go and imagine other things :) . There maybe some more,but i haven't yet to see them.

EDIT:Found a Kotori naked CG(normal anime level)

Quest and Memory system:These twos are new features of rewrite. Quest is a map-movement mini game,mainly for comdey and collecting "Quest tab" for memory. At some points in game,u will be presented a map with a numer of selectable thing. You just need to select them and read the dialogue. Most of them are funny and some are for quest(like Kotori quest) but none of them will hinder your story progression in case you miss one. There are also hidden selectors. You need to hover your mouse over the map and randomly search and they will appear when your pointer touch the correct location.(They are also unimportant).

Memory is just to review the thing u achieved. There are three tabs for memory-->Friends,---- and Quest. Friend Tab is the biography of every person u encounter and quest are like achievement. They will unlock when u finish the corresponding quest.

Rewrite easily suppress little busters because of its amazing storyline and how each heroine solve it. That feeling of friend-circle shattering and converting into enemy do the great job of delivering drama. Rewrite is a must for people who like fantasy VN like fate stay night with a little more drama.

P.S:It is my first time writing a review so don't go serious on me.Also some facts may change/different as I haven't fully-played rewrite yet.

Edited by phantasm
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Rewrite is even more focused on comedy than Little Busters?That seems really weird considering their settings, I'd think Little Busters was THE comedy VN made by Key.

That's kinda surprising really, but a good surprise, since the reason why I liked Little Busters so much was because of how hilarious it was, hopefuly Rewrite will be at least as good as LB in that aspect.

So Rewrite is even more focused on comedy than Little Busters?That seems really weird considering their settings, I'd think Little Busters was THE comedy VN made by Key.

That's kinda surprising really, but a good surprise, since the reason why I liked Little Busters so much was because of how hilarious it was, hopefuly Rewrite will be at least as good as LB in that aspect.

Yes,the common route of Rewrite is mainly for comedy.Very very funny.Like I say,they make an animated scene just for comedy.Don't worry,rewrite will be funnier than LB.(It also depends on translation though,I am playing with Chinese translation and as you know,Chinese and Japanese words are similar so it is more easy to understand what the writer is implying)

Although there are some people who found Akane voice to be annoying

That would be me. I expected her voice to be more mysterious, it doesn't fit her character.

u will get a kotori-sucking scene if u finish her quest "Say it with flowers" . By the way,it is just finger-sucking ,don't go and imagine other things

And there I hoped for some tasty sex scenes. Then again, we're talking about key so...

It would be improved WITHOUT the leaves.

There is still a limiter known as "all-age" .

Then again, never underestimate your own imagination...gahahahaha~

If i remember correctly,Kotori BWH is 83/54/83(kotori has a habit of adding 5 to her size,what a girl :) ). Now~~~let the imagination run wild.*erecting tower* ~~~ ;)

5 translators = good speed (I wish)

and craneanime secret project what would be?

There's 5 possibilities, someone recognize some of the pics?

Classified Information - Visual Novel Translation Status - CraneAnime and Ero-jiji's eroge

nevermind Lone Wolf beat me to it a minute ago :(

All that engrish on the screenshots... Do these guys have any idea how the english grammar works :/

i really hope they still need to need to edit/QC them

Edited by udizzle