Visual Novels Translation Status [03/09/2014]

If you want to know the quality of text translation you can always just check the youtube channel. I'm the only translator of that project right now and... I can't say I'm confident, but I'm trying to maintain an official level of quality. Though I will agree that I'm having doubts about that being legit myself, since there was still no public announcements from Mangagamer.

My comment was more directed at the stigma that machine translations are low quality. Machine translations by themselves are in many cases, but with proper editing they're very good. I read a lot of untranslated visual novels with several translators, and don't think I lose very much, if anything (depending on VN, some writing styles are more suited for machine translators).

I expect the translation will be, at worst, mediocre. Machine translation quality is just a stereotype. (and at least it's not as bad as ixrec or moogy)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that would be redundant

Edited & condensed machine translations are extremely better than raw machine translation.

EX, while playing a jap game, I have 4 different translators and 2 dictionaries - to understand what is going on I can take the parts from each translator which best fit the context of the VN. It's quite common for 2 or 3 to have the correct translation and the other(s) to be off, and rarely only 1 is correct. Lines which no translator can make sense of I can break up in the dictionary and work it out. I manage to get a very high understanding ratio, where a single translator may be far less.

Maybe it would be better worth someone's time to instead of translating a lot of games, just create one universal ultimate machine translator that just kicks ass. *Wakes up from dream*

With my method, all you really need is an editor who's watched a lot of anime/read a lot of VNs to understand spoken as well as being quite good at English to piece things together. No need to learn jap. That said, there are times when jap knowledge is essential. And this all takes human time (though far less than learning jap takes), rather than 100% machine.

Edited by Avenger
That's kind of the issue tbh. The whole idea was that MG gave a permission an IP that they don't own, which is kind of funny to me. Of course they won't make any announcements because they can't give direct permissions to something they don't own. The only way I see how this "went down" is that someone from MG told that project leader of yours that if you manage to TL the game, they will make a deal with you / buy the script and try to get it licensed that way. In turn, they won't just C&D your project because of the possible licensing, like they did with DCIII. That's at least what I think. Imagine MG going to meeting with BaseSon and say "oh yeah, we gave permission to some guys to TL your game".

As far as I understand, this is not exactly what's happening. Basically, Mangagamer gets the script that would instantly mean they won't have to deal with all the translation costs. And then they use it to just release the game normally, but the expenses for releasing it are way lower. At any rate, even if this is all just a big trolling or fraud, we should end up with a translated script for the game that people can then use to play it. And this is all entirely volunteer, so worst case it'll only result in wasted time of project members and broken hopes of people who want to play the game but don't really do anything. :)

At any rate, I want to still have some hope and trust in this world.

As far as I understand, this is not exactly what's happening. Basically, Mangagamer gets the script that would instantly mean they won't have to deal with all the translation costs. And then they use it to just release the game normally, but the expenses for releasing it are way lower. At any rate, even if this is all just a big trolling or fraud, we should end up with a translated script for the game that people can then use to play it. And this is all entirely volunteer, so worst case it'll only result in wasted time of project members and broken hopes of people who want to play the game but don't really do anything. :)

At any rate, I want to still have some hope and trust in this world.

True that. Either way, good luck with the project. Hopefully you have the patience to plow through that huge script.

Akikojam Since you have the Gi main story finished it may be a good idea to release a partial patch. Even if it's just the prologue it would give people a chance to check the quality and help assuage a lot of the concerns that the whole thing is not legit and create some more excitement for the project. Just a thought, regardless I really hope it works out I would love to see shin kouhime Tl'd.

With my method, all you really need is an editor who's watched a lot of anime/read a lot of VNs to understand spoken as well as being quite good at English to piece things together. No need to learn jap.

Too bad that VNs usually have a high amount of unvoiced lines.

^ how did you come to the conclusion that the main story is finished?

The Gi main story line. I came to that conclusion by reading the thread at Fuwanovel where he said the Gi main story was finished.

The Gi main story line. I came to that conclusion by reading the thread at Fuwanovel where he said the Gi main story was finished.

I do have that, as well as Shoku main story and almost all Shoku events (with exception of Rinrin). But if you was reading thread at Fuwanovel you should know that's not really possible.

Too bad that VNs usually have a high amount of unvoiced lines.

True, but one of the main reasons why it's helpful to have voices is with dialect. Normal text is usually standardised, and much easier for the translators to translate.

Third Case of Ace Attorney Investigations 2 has been released in english AAI2 Translation: Case 3 Patch Released : Trial Minutes

Only 2 more to go.I played through all of the translated cases so far, and this game is possibly the best ace attorney game in the series.The third case in this game is the best "non final" case in the series too.I'm anxiously waiting for the rest of it.

EDIT : Btw, I can't access the Kohaku Translations site, maybe the translation has already been cancelled and the site deleted?=D

Edited by Soren619

So, I'm sure there's probably a post somewhere explaining this that I didn't catch in my skimming of the rules, but how do we get games added to the feed? I'll be making a TL I've been working on public in ~35 days and so I'm trying to put feelers out on how to get things going.

Won't be able to host the game myself but I'll provide a patch.

Hey sorry if this is random but does anyone know what happened to majikoi? I know the situation was the original translators yand just disappeared from the face of the earth with their last post being jan of last year. Then Wairu Translation with Pun-kun stop updating as frequently for his Majikoi S / A projects and eliminating the chat boards that used to be there. Are both projects canceled now and is there any hopes of it getting started back up again?

Thanks for reading my brick of questions!