That feeling of emptiness...

Anyone ever had that feeling of emptiness after finishing a really good vn?

I just finished G-Senjou No Maou and I can honestly say that was the best vn I've ever played. I almost wish that the story was never-ending so i'd be forever immersed in the story and characters; especially Usami.

Perfect, now I feel like no other vn can beat G-Senjou No Maou in terms of story, music and graphics. :(

Any recommendations?

*Edit* Also, I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong section. I'm new to these boards and I'm definitely looking forward to contributing around here =]

Edited by Kaskade
Anyone ever had that feeling of emptiness after finishing a really good vn?

I totally know what you're talking about. It's in my case a weird feeling in the stomach every time I remember a specific scene.

I also want to play the visual novel again. Well this feeling will go away after 2-3 days, at least from my experiences.

For me it happened after finishing...

Anime : Clannad After Story, Elfen Lied

Visual Novel : Ef fairy tale of the two, tomoyo after

I also had a weak feeling of emptiness, or whatever you want to call it, after sharin no kuni and senjou no maou.

At least some people know what I'm talking about :)

For me the thing that triggers all the great memories most is probably the music. I associate different parts of a vn with it's corresponding music and so it really gets my emotions running high

At least some people know what I'm talking about

It's very unlikely that you're alone with your opinion anyway.

For me the thing that triggers all the great memories most is probably the music.

In my case it's the scene itself. But I know what you mean coz after finishing a visual novel you can enjoy most of the bgm tracks

more than without playing the game. You may say that the track sounds awesome but you can't feel the same as someone who

also knows the fitting scene. Dunno how to explain this shit but you guys probably know that I mean.

Perfect, now I feel like no other vn can beat G-Senjou No Maou in terms of story, music and graphics. :(

I totally know how that feels.

Whenever I've been seriously enjoying a VN, and then it ends, I don't read anything for a month or two, since I think it'll be just bad anyway.

But meh, that kind of thing has happened lots of times to me already, and just as much times have I been proved that there is stuff which is just as good, or even better out there.

Just wait some time, and you'll get rid of that feeling.

I've felt loneliness at the end of every good anime and eroge/vn.. Dammit!!

Snow Sakura was the first eroge I played.. And it made me feel very awkward for mere than a week.. Made me think, 'I cleared it!', 'what a nice ending..', 'is it really over?'.. I mean, happiness from completing each route + sadness from not having it continue any longer...

I felt exactly the same after finishing G Senjou a couple of weeks ago. It takes a few days for all the feels to go away but man you just get emotionally invested into the VN... thats the sign of an excellent VN in my opinion. As others have said, Sharin no Kuni could be an option. Its made by the same publisher/developer as G Senjou. Badass protagonist, good music, a mix of comedy and serious moments, and a couple of twists along the way. After playing Sharin no Kuni, immediately play the fandisc.. it shows you the back story of one of the main characters and its an excellent prequel.

I'm still working my way through G-Senjou myself(only just finished the Tsubaki ends), but I do know the emotional highs and lows that can come from good VN completion. I've talked about it before, it usually has me writing a huge review of every last little thing in the game as a sort of closure.

I'm still working my way through G-Senjou myself(only just finished the Tsubaki ends), but I do know the emotional highs and lows that can come from good VN completion. I've talked about it before, it usually has me writing a huge review of every last little thing in the game as a sort of closure.

I'll be looking forward to your huge review for G-Senjou, the true ending is just fantastic.

This "emptiness" always overcomes me after I finish something I got emotionally invested in. I'll spend entire days just listening to the soundtrack, browsing fan art and boring my disinterested peers by continually bringing it up. I don't understand how so many people are instantly over the emotional impact of a work of fiction when the credits roll. I've watched shows that nearly brought me to tears with friends, and they would casually pause the video during a critical scene to get potato chips (and loudly eat them). I get frustrated when someone brings up something utterly mundane (yes, your grocery list is amazing!) immediately after witnessing something soul crushingly depressing or amazingly epic. If your mind is wandering so soon, you're doing yourself a disservice by not properly enjoying your entertainment.

I'm just weird, though.

I get frustrated when someone brings up something utterly mundane (yes, your grocery list is amazing!) immediately after witnessing something soul crushingly depressing or amazingly epic. If your mind is wandering so soon, you're doing yourself a disservice by not properly enjoying your entertainment.

I'm kinda weird in that I am usually emotionally detached from the mood of a work. If something horrible happens to a character I'll feel bad of course, but like in an unnamed show in which the entire human race goes extinct in the most violent and terrible way possible, I got super fired up. I thought it was awesome that somebody would have the balls to make a show like that, and the show itself stimulated me intellectually like no other(I'm not talking about the robot show you think I am, by the way). I could talk about that show for months.

I'm not nearly affected as much by large scale tragedy (war, genocide) as I am by small, personal drama (a death in the family, a love torn apart). I'm also completely unmoved by catastrophes in the news, unless they affect me or those I care about personally. I guess it's easier to empathize with individuals than with large groups of people, or I'm just apathetic.

... Why must this show remain unnamed? :eek:

Edited by Melancholic
I'm not nearly affected as much by large scale tragedy (war, genocide) as I am by small, personal drama (a death in the family, a love torn apart). I'm also completely unmoved by catastrophes in the news, unless they affect me or those I care about personally. I guess it's easier to empathize with individuals than with large groups of people, or I'm just apathetic.

... Why must this show remain unnamed? :eek:

Spoiler reasons.

Texhnolyze. It's Texhnolyze. The main character dies at the very end of the show after the last humans(Most of whom you got to know throughout the show) end up dying in what was basically a big gang fight. It's very dramatic how the credits roll as the main character lies there curled up, alone and dying.

the emptiness usually comes when i finish somthing that have high emotional value, usually it's nakige kind of thing or something so epic that like adventure or war. the feelings stay about 2-3 days at most for me then i just start playing somthing else.

oh just an advise, if you in a state that you have feeling of emptiness after finishing a vn, don't play anything else! not untill that feelings is gone completely of decrease a bit.

that because the next vn that you play right after somthing that leave a big impact in your mind is usually getting compared to it, and that's make you lost some interest or expectation for the next vn that you would playing

the feelings stay about 2-3 days at most for me then i just start playing somthing else.

oh just an advise, if you in a state that you have feeling of emptiness after finishing a vn, don't play anything else! not untill that feelings is gone completely of decrease a bit.

It's been 3.5 years since I first saw Serial Experiments Lain and just thinking about that show still makes me feel empty.

Not in a good way, either.

I didn't read all the replies but as for recommendations,

I'd definitely recommend Muv Luv Extra, Unlimited and Alternative, though its pretty difficult to handle, imo (I was crying buckets and ended up a bit traumatized)

If you like post apocalyptic, I suggest Swan Song.

Heres what I've played so far and my votes, feel free to check it out and see if any of the vns interest you

Votes by bloodyroar

Dealing with the emptiness is simple you merely find another VN/eroge/game that is more epic/more emotional/more interesting to fill that void.

Unfortunately this continous escalation in finding something better ultimately leads you to find most VN's/eroge medicore and unfulfiling (still waiting for something to best MLA).

That feeling is part of the reason why I take breaks between my VNs; the other part is that I need time to absorb everything that happened and store it in my memory properly.

Dealing with the emptiness is simple you merely find another VN/eroge/game that is more epic/more emotional/more interesting to fill that void.

Unfortunately this continous escalation in finding something better ultimately leads you to find most VN's/eroge medicore and unfulfiling (still waiting for something to best MLA).

^ And this is the reason why I'm purposefully saving some VNs that I really want to read. 'Saving the best for last', as they say.

Unfortunately this continous escalation in finding something better ultimately leads you to find most VN's/eroge medicore and unfulfiling (still waiting for something to beat MLA).

Well in this case, just stop searching for something better than MLA. I personally don't have the problem to find other visual novels

unfulfilling because of finishing some awesome ones. I mean even if a visual novel can't beat my favourite one, called senjou no maou,

it can still be great and mindfucking, I don't see any problem with this. Meh, whatever...