Did anybody watch the first episode? I saw the description in one of those "Spring 2012 Preview" pictures and thought it looked interesting. Yesterday, I saw that the light novel series was on Baka-Tsuki and I started reading it. It was pretty good, and not far off from what I expected, but it's nothing too great either. All in all, it's something I'll continue to read as more of it is translated.

Just now I watched the first episode. The animation quality was great—just what I expect from Kyoto Animation, but the story wasn't very good. It's not like it was exciting to begin with, but they cut out the most important part of the show, which is the main character deducing the answer to the girl's question. What I liked about the light novel was that it showed the main character's thought process leading to a solution, which they cut out of the show. The second half of the episode was either completely made up for the anime version or comes from much later in the series, because it's not what happens next in the light novel. It didn't seem to match the first half and it was obviously out of place. The stupidest part of the anime version is that they added in some kind of weird delusion where the girl's hair turns into vines and grabs the main character or something. It was ridiculous. I was very disappointed in this adaptation. /rage

Did anybody else watch it? What did you think about it?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw the episode was subbed and read the plot blurb. It didn't seem to have much of a pull to me. A bit too much slice of life trying to be the Hardy Boys to me. Then again mystery has never really been a genre I enjoy. I might check it out later, but for now it's a pass for me. (Sorry this post isn't helping much)

It's a winner for me speaking of which, the mangaka is the same one for k-on or so I heard. I think I like it because the protagonist outshines that fat thing in accel world and a lot of the others in this season. The hair thing was a tick off for me as well, like wtf?

It's a winner for me speaking of which, the mangaka is the same one for k-on or so I heard. I think I like it because the protagonist outshines that fat thing in accel world and a lot of the others in this season. The hair thing was a tick off for me as well, like wtf?

I'm still going to watch this show, but I'll probably be disappointed at each episode. Especially whenever they do that stupid hair thing. But it's still better than that fat thing in accel world.

Yup yup, I'm just hoping a big mystery comes up sooner or later since the guy had such a good brain. I think the unmet of the show hinted something about solving mysteries but I dont remember.

It is about solving mysteries, and they do get bigger (at least in the light novels). The title of the show is related to a bigger mystery that will be introduced later.

Ah I meant something huge and not some minor rumor but I guess from what ur saying there's gonna be some.

Btw I meant summary not ( unmet) auto correct is killing me

-just reread the summary, and yeah it was a 33 year old mystery case, thats what made me watch the first episode in the first place :) cant wait

Edited by Nobu
Ah I meant something huge and not some minor rumor but I guess from what ur saying there's gonna be some.

Btw I meant summary not ( unmet) auto correct is killing me

-just reread the summary, and yeah it was a 33 year old mystery case, thats what made me watch the first episode in the first place :) cant wait

I'm hoping it will get more interesting, but the show will probably be something like one or two small mysteries plus a clue to the bigger mystery to advance the plot each episode after it's introduced. For some reason I'm not very optimistic about this show.

I watched the first episode today. KyoAni sure knows how to deliver in terms of animation, the OP was really nice as well. A lot of people said that the show is a bit slow and boring based on the first episode, which is kinda true. I would say keep watching(if mystery is your thing) and it will probably be the best show of the season, I have faith in KyoAni. Also, it's nice to have Tomoya and Sunohara as main characters again xD

The hair thing was kinda strange and awesome.

Edited by killerinsidee
THAT'S WHO THEY REMINDED ME OF!!!!

Godif that's true man, makes the whole show even better

, it lvl'd up

It's true :p

Nakamura, Yuuichi - MyAnimeList.net = Tomoya, Houtarou

Sakaguchi, Daisuke - MyAnimeList.net = Shunohara, Satoshi

Also the seiyuu for the 2 girls are Manami from Oreimo and Menma from AnoHana.

Edited by killerinsidee

Just like how movies with good actors but bad plots can still be good, anime with good seiyuus and animation, but not a very interesting plot can still be good. But hopefully the plot will get more interesting as the show goes on.

So, here's something the translator of the light novels said regarding the plot:

"If you’re expecting a mystery with a grand-conspiracy, then you would be mightily disappointed. This is nothing more than an enjoyable light-hearted mystery thingy with the characters as its centre."

I wasn't really expecting a big conspiracy or anything since this is half mystery and half school life, and like he said, "light-hearted", but if anyone was expecting something more, you're going to be disappointed.

(Double-posting because the last post was 2 days ago)

So, here's something the translator of the light novels said regarding the plot:

"If you’re expecting a mystery with a grand-conspiracy, then you would be mightily disappointed. This is nothing more than an enjoyable light-hearted mystery thingy with the characters as its centre."

I wasn't really expecting a big conspiracy or anything since this is half mystery and half school life, and like he said, "light-hearted", but if anyone was expecting something more, you're going to be disappointed.

(Double-posting because the last post was 2 days ago)

Personally I would rather have it be a slice of life with a bit of mystery then for it to turn into Another, think it fits these characters very well. The mystery part in Another is almost too much, still enjoyable though.

As you say(and according to the LN translator) it will be a relaxed series and I doubt that it will need some crazy twists and crazy shit going on every 5mins for it it be worth watching. That's my take on it at least.

Edited by killerinsidee
Personally I would rather have it be a slice of life with a bit of mystery then for it to turn into Another, think it fits these characters very well. The mystery part in Another almost too much, still enjoyable though.

As you say(and according to the LN translator) it will be a relaxed series and I doubt that it will need some crazy twists and crazy shit going on every 5mins for it it be worth watching. That's my take on it at least.

I agree that it will be good as a slice of life show with a few mysteries, rather than a mystery-horror like Another or any suspense-thriller type of show.

The show is like the main character — laid-back.

Alright, found another heroine that i hate on the level of Chinami, hell their names both start w/ a Chi, FAWKING CHITANDA OR W/E...god i hate people like that...granted shes the reason why theres a story but com'on now -.-, its like a Nagisa in clannad but worse...

-Speaking of...DAMMIT OREIKI IS SO AWESOME, his character is pretty parallel to tomoya (clannad again), gj bro.

I watched the 2nd ep just now. The pacing might be a bit too slow, but the episode was decent. It's definitely an intriguing show and the "watashi, kininarimasu!" is getting a bit funny and Oreki's reaction to it was amusing.

Also, the cliffhanger endings are starting already :>

Edit: The ED is nice as well, but the OP is damn awesome.

Edited by killerinsidee
I watched the 2nd ep just now. The pacing might be a bit too slow, but the episode was decent. It's definitely an intriguing show and the "watashi, kininarimasu!" is getting a bit funny and Oreki's reaction to it was amusing.

Also, the cliffhanger endings are starting already :>

The show's definitely coming along, but I think the pace will stay the same for the rest of the episodes. Also, I don't know if that was really a cliffhanger...

The ED is nice as well, but the OP is damn awesome.

I didn't think the OP and ED were that great. Of course, they weren't bad or anything, but, in my opinion, they weren't anything special.

In the first episode there was that weird hair thing and in this one there was that scene where Chitanda is a maid and Oreki is ordering the "Rose-colored" course or the "Gray-colored" course. Both of those scenes were not in the novel. It's making it look like Oreki is delusional. Imagining those things would use too much energy ;)

The show's definitely coming along, but I think the pace will stay the same for the rest of the episodes. Also, I don't know if that was really a cliffhanger...

I didn't think the OP and ED were that great. Of course, they weren't bad or anything, but, in my opinion, they weren't anything special.

In the first episode there was that weird hair thing and in this one there was that scene where Chitanda is a maid and Oreki is ordering the "Rose-colored" course or the "Gray-colored" course. Both of those scenes were not in the novel. It's making it look like Oreki is delusional. Imagining those things would use too much energy ;)

I'm really linking Oreki and Chitanda's interactions so far. Oreki is an awesome character in my opinion and his "delusions" are amusing as well.

Edited by killerinsidee
I'm really linking Oreki and Chitanda's interactions so far. Oreki is an awesome character in my opinion and his "delusions" are amusing as well.

I like their interactions as well, especially in ep 2, when Oreki hears them talking about a mystery and starts to walk away, and Chitanda grabs his arm without even turning around.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2664&d=1335817259&thumb=0&stc=1

I can't say I like the delusions, but I'm probably biased because I've been reading the novel. I tend to want things to follow the source material as closely as possible, even though I do realize it might be better to change things or add stuff. (This reminds me of the episode of Zetsubou Sensei where there's the dilemna of "You didn't follow the source" vs "You didn't make it better" or something.)

Edited by Dan.

I'm starting to like the way they animate the scenes where Oreki explains how he figured out the solution. They're all animated differently so it adds some variety to the show. Also, I noticed they changed all the lines concerning Sekitani Jun from 33 years ago to 45 years ago and I was wondering why, but then I realized the book was set 12 years ago (2000) and they changed the setting for the current day parts, but not when the incident happened (SLIGHT SPOILER because the time period is related to the case). The show is starting to get better as they're moving into the main plot.