[Seiha] Little Witch Romanesque Kickstarter Project

Romanesque Translation Project by Aroduc on Kickstarter

Aroduc of Seiha (translator of Duel Savior and Kamidori Alchemy Meister) has launched a Kickstarter project for Shoujo Mahou Gaku Little Witch Romanesque, a well regarded wizard raising simulator. He's asking for $2500 to finish the project by August.

As far as I'm aware, this would be the first Kickstarter project for an unlicensed eroge translation. He has posted this project against the license holders' wishes. It remains unclear whether such a project will be viable.

Edited by sanahtlig
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is worth highlighting both as a news event and as a potential topic of controversy. Should fan translation projects be funded? Is this a beneficial direction for the VN community?

Edited by sanahtlig

i dont see anything wrong with arudoc's actions..

after all..

he's a good and well known..

plus...he actually deserve something from all his hard work along these few years...

i mean..i'll support both him and IXREC if they intended to collect funds and stuff as they spend their life translating VNs

plus...at least arudoc aint like other no good, useless indie groupies that just wanted $$$ without actually prove their capabilities~

and sheesh...if Arudoc get 1 cent per view...

he'll get his 2.5k like in a week

I'm curious if Kickstarter will unilaterally shut this project down for violating the terms of service. And failing that, the license holder could C&D the project. They could even sue Kickstarter if Kickstarter doesn't shut the project down first. There's plenty of room for interesting developments here.

nah..i wouldnt mind if that happens..

at least..if im not wrong..

little witch already dead~

this is a good news that arudoc is still in Vn business..

and its not Aaeru >.>

Edited by ultimecea
A separate thread wasn't really needed for this, since others already posted about it in the weekly vntls thread a while ago.

Actually, even I was thinking of making a "specific" thread about this project too, since the post in vnts thread has been cluttered with some other mundane stuff. (read:futsuu)

i dont see anything wrong with arudoc's actions..

It was never about right or wrong. It's about direct and indirect consequences.

at least..if im not wrong..

little witch already dead~

Apparently, the dev is still quite alive. Aroduc had contacted them and their respond aren't exactly what we would call "warm". It seems like a DMCA notice isn't out of question.

I decided to drop the devs a line about it, link to the KS, some sample work, etc. Mostly expecting mostly to be ignored, mind you. To my surprise, I got back a response quite fast saying that they had no interest in selling their games in the west because of piracy, what I was doing would promote piracy, and that if I wanted to play their games, I should move to Japan. Somewhat daunted, I talked to a connection I have with MangaGamer to see if a full-on real release et al could persuade them to let me throw money at them, but they got the same answer as me.

On an not-so-related note...

Somehow I lost a bit of my interest in this project...damn him! :p

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf

The problem is, that if he takes money to translate it, wouldnt it basically be the same as if he were selling bootleg copies? Especially considering he is doing this against the wishes of the license holder. I would think he is opening himself up to being sued/charges.

It didn't take him long to get the money, haha.

I personally have no problems with the idea of funding a fan translation -- in fact, as long as the money asked for isn't extortionate, I wouldn't mind other translators doing this. I mean, translating a VN is a huge undertaking, and having monetary support means that more people might actually have an incentive to do it. Mind you, I would probably not support a project unless it's by a proven translator (like Aroduc, Ixrex etc.), or unless the translator translates a significant part of the game first (say like 10-20%) as an example of the calibre of work that you would expect if you then helped to fund a project.

I suppose then it just comes down to copyright issues, which are always a pain in the ass...

He's essentially selling a patch, not a game. But sure, he could be sued, and so could Kickstarter. Most likely Kickstarter will terminate the project in the next 2 weeks before the funds are transferred to Seiha.

He's essentially selling a patch, not a game. But sure, he could be sued, and so could Kickstarter. Most likely Kickstarter will terminate the project in the next 2 weeks before the funds are transferred to Seiha.

Yeah I have no problems with it, but the makers of the game could argue that it's their intellectual property (just in another language). It's made more complicated because I'm not sure whether it falls under the fair use clause any more as it's no longer 'non-profit'.

What I don't understand is why the dev didn't jump on this opportunity. I mean, he could have made a deal (sort of like JAST does) where Aroduc sells the patch (or even the whole game) and the company makes a bit of money off of it. Then, both parties would have been happy (Aroduck would have gotten funding and the company would get a profit (only difficulty then is taxes, but whatever)). I don't know whether Aroduc would have agreed, but responding the way the developer did isn't really the best way to make friends or to influence people.

Edited by Chocolatemilkgod
I don't know whether Aroduc would have agreed, but responding the way the developer did isn't really the best way to make friends or to influence people.

Yeah, Aroduc actually offered them the money from the funding and they responded back saying it'll create piracy, come to japan if you want to play it, etc.

There's a number of reasons to reject "free money": social (will release of the game cause a social backlash?), legal (is the game legal in various parts of the world?), personal (do we want to be a facilitator of piracy?). By taking someone's money, you accept accountability. Some developers aren't prepared to do that.

Guest loppez

if they really transfer money for him, other translators will follow his example. why should they do it for free when other guy gets 2k for his project.

haha :D

Because Japan is xenophobic.

And Japanese companies probably don't feel comfortable operating outside of the culture they know. Never know when another Rapelay incident will occur, after all.

Project already reached $2,500 with 11 days to go.

And the project already reached 2500$ with 55 backers which means that each of them donated around 50$ for that translation.

if they really transfer money for him, other translators will follow his example. why should they do it for free when other guy gets 2k for his project.

That's what I fear.