Do you play VNs using a walkthrough?

Do you use a walkthrough when you play VNs?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a walkthrough when you play VNs?

• Yeah, I use a walkthrough
    • Nope, I don't use a walkthrough
    • It depends on the VN

Simple question.. do you play Eroge/Visual novels using a walkthrough or do you try to figure out the choices yourself? I usually use a walkthrough but for some visual novels i find i have a better connection with them if i don't use a guide.. so i guess it kind of depends for me. For example, playing Katawa Shoujo I pretty much went in with a blind run and i think it made the experience better than if i was using a walkthrough of the choices. It made me more connected with the VN. So how about you... do you use a walkthrough?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if I spend a bunch of time on a certain route, just to discover I picked a wrong choice(s)/didn't do something(s) right near the end, making all of that time a waste because I cannot finish the story. I hate that so much.

I generally use one for games with multiple routes or difficult to get scenes or gameplay. For example, I would have NEVER finished the true end of Kara no Shoujo without one, but I made it through Go! Go! Nippon with no issue because it is so clean cut and straightforward.

I always like to try to go randomly first, play how I would play it before aiming for completion.

I've found lately that I do indeed like having a walkthrough for my VN's. Most games I suggest people play through on their own first, but the way the choices for Visual Novels go sometime can really waste a bunch of time, and if you play the same scenes over and over again through skip they tend to loose impact to me.

so yes, I do my best to always have a walkthrough handy, hopefully one without spoilers.

No, I prefer thinking that I'm smart enough to get the end I want, using a walkthrough won't give me a sense of an accomplishment. Also, I'm not a completist either, I cannot be bothered to read (or "read"=skip) each and every route and bad end to find "that last CG". There are 100% save files and resource extractors for this.

This. Only if the routes are damn hard to unlock, for example aoishiro, then I may use a walktrough.

But that's very rare.

Always play through the game once until either a game over/bad end/proper end.

Then use a walkthrough for every step of the way.

Time is short, using a walkthrough allows you to see all CG's, scenes and endings with minimal fuss so you minimize repitition of scenes and events and spend more time actually reading VN's.

I tend to do everything alone most of the time.

I only resort to Walktroughs, if I'm totally stuck at a part, (That only happened one time though)

when I have to read through character routes I'm not interested in, but have to read through,

in order to unlock the one I want, or if I just can't wait to find out myself if a certain character has a route,

I'll look for a walkthrough and see which characters have routes written for them-.

No, I prefer thinking that I'm smart enough to get the end I want, using a walkthrough won't give me a sense of an accomplishment. Also, I'm not a completist either, I cannot be bothered to read (or "read"=skip) each and every route and bad end to find "that last CG". There are 100% save files and resource extractors for this.

I agree with what you're saying, but what happens when you're faced with a VN where just a single incorrect choice forces you to stray from a heroine's route and into a place that makes it impossible to finish? I had this problem with Canvas 2 before - I was on a heroine's route, but because I said something I wasn't supposed to multiple times, I couldn't see her true ending. I prefer to not waste my time when this happens. If you cannot finish the VN, then there's no accomplishment whatsoever; you just wasted your time (well, not really, because you at least saw most of the VN, probably). But judging from your post, I shall assume you have never had this problem because you will go Keima Katsuragi by attempting every choice possible to finish your route? Actually, I'm more curious in general if people will try every choice for hours until they finally finish - or not finish - the game. I would not want to do this, to be honest.

I agree with what you're saying, but what happens when you're faced with a VN where just a single incorrect choice forces you to stray from a heroine's route and into a place that makes it impossible to finish? I had this problem with Canvas 2 before - I was on a heroine's route, but because I said something I wasn't supposed to multiple times, I couldn't see her true ending.

This exact thing happened to me while playing Forest. I couldn't get past chapter 6 or so because there was a choice that seemed to me like it should be essential to the story. Turns out picking it caused an automatic dead-end, but only at the end of the chapter so you didn't know where you screwed up.

I'm a typical completionist so I usually go find a walkthrough for a game while I'm installing it. If your thought process is 'I'm not done until I've seen everything', then a walkthrough is pretty indispensable.

I'm a typical completionist so I usually go find a walkthrough for a game while I'm installing it. If your thought process is 'I'm not done until I've seen everything', then a walkthrough is pretty indispensable.

I only worry about 100% cg collection. I figure if they were too lazy to make a cg for it, it can't be too terribly indispensable to the story.

• 3 weeks later...
I had this problem with Canvas 2

What the fuck man? I never had any problems with the routes of canvas 2. Just be friendly towards the girl you like, that's it.

Oh and don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that you're dumb or stuff, it's just that I personally didn't have any problems.

Just be friendly towards the girl you like

That's the common way of doing things btw.

If you cannot finish the VN, then there's no accomplishment whatsoever; you just wasted your time

In this case I wasted my whole life because I usually don't play all the routes. I can't see the reason for playing a route of a heroine I can't stand.

Sorry but even if the story's fuckin awesome, I won't be able to enjoy it.

I believe I've answered this already, but sometimes I wonder what would happen if I go the wrong way, so I save and consciously choose what I otherwise wouldn't. I don't do this often.

This. You can't imagine how much fun I had while reading nearly all of the dead ends of f/sn. Only a dead shirou is a good shirou. \o/

Actually, I'm more curious in general if people will try every choice for hours until they finally finish - or not finish - the game.

It depends. If I'm not able to get into a route (after trying for quite a time) then I'll use a walktrough as well. Sometimes it's just too damn hard.

What the fuck man? I never had any problems with the routes of canvas 2. Just be friendly towards the girl you like, that's it.

Oh and don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that you're dumb or stuff, it's just that I personally didn't have any problems.

Then what the fuck, indeed. I was a complete "gentleman" to Elis, yet when I was so sure I was on her route, the game just ended and nothing happened between the protagonists. If you don't pick specific choices, you won't see her ending. I didn't really care for that visual novel, so I haven't looked into what other requirements there are for additional heroines, just Elis.

In this case I wasted my whole life because I usually don't play all the routes. I can't see the reason for playing a route of a heroine I can't stand. Sorry but even if the story's fuckin awesome, I won't be able to enjoy it.

Actually, I meant at least one route (one story). =P I rarely do every route.

I was a complete "gentleman" to Elis, yet when I was so sure I was on her route, the game just ended and nothing happened between the protagonists.

Well it seems that I've more luck than you when it comes to visual novels. As for real life...*sigh*

Actually, I meant at least one route (one story). =P I rarely do every route.

In this case I've to agree with you, starting a route but not finishing it is indeed stupid/senseless.